Anchoring
chaztrip
Nov 6 2007, 10:51 AM
GMC:er
Anchoring

I have a bad habit… maybe of when I am attempting to play fast I will anchor my ring finger in a pointed position down on my guitar. This is OK when I am in the higher strings but getting down low creates a problem.
Any tips on how to break this? Or do you have any clue to what I am saying…. biggrin.gif

Thanks Chaz

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Nov 6 2007, 07:04 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I'm assuming that you mean your picking hand Chaz - so you use your ring finger to position and rest ? unsure.gif
I'd suggest practicing with your hand resting lightly on the bridge instead. You might find it easier to get to all the strings comfortably then.

Cheers,
Tony

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
chaztrip
Nov 6 2007, 10:26 PM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Nov 6 2007, 12:04 PM) *
I'm assuming that you mean your picking hand Chaz - so you use your ring finger to position and rest ? unsure.gif
I'd suggest practicing with your hand resting lightly on the bridge instead. You might find it easier to get to all the strings comfortably then.

Cheers,
Tony

yes sorry that is exactly what I mean. I see players do it both ways and did not know if there was a benefit to either one.

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Nov 6 2007, 10:33 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (chaztrip @ Nov 6 2007, 09:26 PM) *
yes sorry that is exactly what I mean. I see players do it both ways and did not know if there was a benefit to either one.

No benefit- Michael Angelo Batio (hope you've heard of him) picks by anchoring his hand, and hes amazing...

However, many other like myself prefer the bridge method...

Do what ever feels right to you!

DeepRoots

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Nov 7 2007, 02:47 AM
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Nov 6 2007, 09:33 PM) *
No benefit- Michael Angelo Batio (hope you've heard of him) picks by anchoring his hand, and hes amazing...

However, many other like myself prefer the bridge method...

Do what ever feels right to you!

DeepRoots

Eventually we'll hear Pavel on this issue and he'll disagree. It's in a few of his early lessons and it pops up on the forums every once in a while. I'm trying to keep all my pick-hand fingers curled in because I've seen enough stories about how it helped people break through on speed.

On my first guitar, it was very comfortable for me to rest the edge of the palm at the bridge. The bridge on the new one is kinda making me reassess that position though because of where the screws stick outl.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
chaztrip
Nov 7 2007, 10:02 AM
QUOTE (Scott Gentzen @ Nov 6 2007, 07:47 PM) *
Eventually we'll hear Pavel on this issue and he'll disagree. It's in a few of his early lessons and it pops up on the forums every once in a while. I'm trying to keep all my pick-hand fingers curled in because I've seen enough stories about how it helped people break through on speed.

On my first guitar, it was very comfortable for me to rest the edge of the palm at the bridge. The bridge on the new one is kinda making me reassess that position though because of where the screws stick outl.

Well I have been trying with my pick hand curled in and WOW much faster and I seem to have better control. I guess it really does not matter its what works best..... I mean after I watched Marty Friedman pick I was like HUH? dry.gif

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Nov 7 2007, 11:21 AM
QUOTE (chaztrip @ Nov 7 2007, 09:02 AM) *
Well I have been trying with my pick hand curled in and WOW much faster and I seem to have better control. I guess it really does not matter its what works best..... I mean after I watched Marty Friedman pick I was like HUH? dry.gif

Yeah. It does eventually come down to what's comfortable for how you're trying to play. For every "this is the right way" you can come up with an example of a legendary player that doesn't do that. EVH has a bizarre way of handling his pick hand that I don't think anyone would advise being a good way to play. But it's hard to deny his impact on rock guitar.

The advantage of curling your fingers in and resting the edge of the palm on the bridge is a very efficient way of handling your pick hand though. Pick between the thumb and index. None of the other fingers are hanging out anywhere to get in the way and they're in easy position to pluck higher strings if needed. The palm edge on the bridge allows easier transition from no muting to light muting for sweeps to heavy palm muting.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:47 AM