Logic Pro X/s-gear, It can sound something like this..
Nava
Jul 25 2014, 06:07 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Here is the example using Logic and S-Gear. The sound is good and I got a pretty good base just using the guitar. I would like to have it little heavier but still its on my way of finding a good sound.

Thank u all for ur excellent tips on finding these ones. Couldn't have done it without you.

Don't bother the bad timing hehe, its just a test with an idea I came up with like a week ago. I think its pretty catchy though. Something to work on wink.gif

If u need help, GMC is the way to go! Thanks again biggrin.gif

https://soundcloud.com/thomas-heino/project-1-first-test-with-logic-and-s-gear

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
If it sounds good, it IS good! And if you think its good then there is gonna be someone else in the world that thinks its good:)Wise words from former instructor Marcus Lavendell.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
Todd Simpson
Jul 25 2014, 07:12 PM
GMC:er
Nice smile.gif Are you using an actual, physical overdrive stomp box before your signal goes in to your interface? If not, do you have an overdrive? It will do the same thing that it does with a tube amp! Which is to say, it will drive the signal and limit the frequencey range a bit so that the signal is more tight and less boomy which tube amps and good tube emulations tend to be.

On the pedal, put the drive below 3, volume 6+ tone 6+ and bingo smile.gif

QUOTE (Nava @ Jul 25 2014, 01:07 PM) *
Here is the example using Logic and S-Gear. The sound is good and I got a pretty good base just using the guitar. I would like to have it little heavier but still its on my way of finding a good sound.

Thank u all for ur excellent tips on finding these ones. Couldn't have done it without you.

Don't bother the bad timing hehe, its just a test with an idea I came up with like a week ago. I think its pretty catchy though. Something to work on wink.gif

If u need help, GMC is the way to go! Thanks again biggrin.gif

https://soundcloud.com/thomas-heino/project-1-first-test-with-logic-and-s-gear

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 26 2014, 01:37 PM
Instructor
Hey mate! I also like the tone and I agree with Todd, in respect to the boosting process he has described smile.gif I am using a Suhr Shiba Drive pedal to boost my distorted tone, but I mainly use it for lead playing, although it can definitely deliver a nice riff tone.

As Todd said, the Shiba Drive is an actual overdrive pedal, but you can achieve similar results with an Ibanez TS808 or a Bulb Pro Tone - there are a few great pedals that boost tone marvelously out there. Let us know if this seems like an interesting idea and what sort of budget would you have and then we can make some recommendations, based on what you tell us wink.gif

Keep rocking!

+Quote Post
Nava
Jul 26 2014, 05:55 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 25 2014, 06:12 PM) *
Nice smile.gif Are you using an actual, physical overdrive stomp box before your signal goes in to your interface? If not, do you have an overdrive? It will do the same thing that it does with a tube amp! Which is to say, it will drive the signal and limit the frequencey range a bit so that the signal is more tight and less boomy which tube amps and good tube emulations tend to be.

On the pedal, put the drive below 3, volume 6+ tone 6+ and bingo smile.gif

Thx Todd!

No I do not use any overdrive before it goes into interface. So I can do that? Silly me...
I have an MXE Wylde Overdrive to my marshall. So I can actually use that? I also have MXR 10 band EQ. Maybe that one to fine the tune a bit to?

I will try that maybe tomorrow..Very interesting, thanks for the tip and I will put ur settings on the pedal to:)

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 26 2014, 12:37 PM) *
Hey mate! I also like the tone and I agree with Todd, in respect to the boosting process he has described smile.gif I am using a Suhr Shiba Drive pedal to boost my distorted tone, but I mainly use it for lead playing, although it can definitely deliver a nice riff tone.

As Todd said, the Shiba Drive is an actual overdrive pedal, but you can achieve similar results with an Ibanez TS808 or a Bulb Pro Tone - there are a few great pedals that boost tone marvelously out there. Let us know if this seems like an interesting idea and what sort of budget would you have and then we can make some recommendations, based on what you tell us wink.gif

Keep rocking!

Thx a lot Cosmin!

So the pedal before interface does that much? I sure will try it!
If this Zakk Wylde Overdrive doesn't do that, not much can biggrin.gif
I'll let u know how it went:)

--------------------
If it sounds good, it IS good! And if you think its good then there is gonna be someone else in the world that thinks its good:)Wise words from former instructor Marcus Lavendell.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 26 2014, 06:00 PM
Instructor
Congrats on your tone man! I would just addjust a bit the EQ to give it some more presence and definition which I'm sure could be gotten applying Todd's suggestion. I use this technique even with my real tube amp. Using and overdrive to shape the guitar sound is a killer trick, it's hard to explain with words, you have to try it.

If you don't have a real overdrive (which would do the job better), you can try this free emulated tube screamer that can be added before your amp emulator to get a similar effect. Try it and let me know how it works!

Attached Image

http://www.tseaudio.com/software/tse808

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 27 2014, 04:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Nava @ Jul 26 2014, 04:55 PM) *
Thx a lot Cosmin!

So the pedal before interface does that much? I sure will try it!
If this Zakk Wylde Overdrive doesn't do that, not much can biggrin.gif
I'll let u know how it went:)

hey mate, how did it go? I love that pedal - one of my band mates owns it and it totally rocks! I mean, it delivers a sort of a punch when riffing, that I haven't heard with any other pedal out there smile.gif

Let us know on what you have got by using it and share the recording once you have it wink.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 27 2014, 10:51 PM
I have been emailing the guy who created S-Gear for quite a while and have asked him to add something like a tube screamer before the first amp/head/gain stage smile.gif Also, requested an e.q. before the amp.

The structure of sgear is a blessing and a curse. It's a clean and simplified interface which is a welcome change to the busy/complicated interfaces of some other guitar emulation plugins. However, it's a double edges sword. You can'd really re-order things the same way you can in some other plugins. For example, in OVERLOUD TH2 I've got 2 rack units and 4 pedals BEFORE the Amp/Head!
Attached Image

To get around this in sgear you'd need to use another plugin like the one GABE mentioned. At that point you can't save your preset in one file. You've got two files at least. One for sgear and one for tube screamer. Not a huge deal, but yet another file to track for each project. This is something that AMPLITUDE, GUITAR RIG, and OVERLOUD do very well in that you can use a single file/preset to cover a vast amount of settings.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 26 2014, 01:00 PM) *
Congrats on your tone man! I would just addjust a bit the EQ to give it some more presence and definition which I'm sure could be gotten applying Todd's suggestion. I use this technique even with my real tube amp. Using and overdrive to shape the guitar sound is a killer trick, it's hard to explain with words, you have to try it.

If you don't have a real overdrive (which would do the job better), you can try this free emulated tube screamer that can be added before your amp emulator to get a similar effect. Try it and let me know how it works!

Attached Image

http://www.tseaudio.com/software/tse808

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 27 2014, 10:52 PM

+Quote Post
Nava
Jul 28 2014, 02:48 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks Todd, Gabe and Cosmin for ur kindness to explain the importance of an overdrive before hitting the interface smile.gif

I put my real pedal MXR (Wylde Overdrive) and put it before the Audiobox (DI)

This Soundcloud file is just ONE effect and showing the difference between S-Gear effect and then when Overdrive hits in.
And u were all right! It really made a Huge difference biggrin.gif

I have a lot of effects to try and find a really good tone, so thanks SO much for the help.
Will even try and use my MXR EQ also later on.

Well, here it is. Nothing fancy, just a quick test to show that it made a difference wink.gif

https://soundcloud.com/thomas-heino/test-overdrive-before-interface-into-s-gear

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 28 2014, 06:21 PM
Instructor
Hey Nava - I hear a definite improvement and the Zakk Wylde OD is very recognizable, at least to my ears smile.gif

Try Todd's solution as well and stick to the one that suits your tastes and purposes the most - The MXR EQ is very good for boosting mids on the tone you already have, in order to get a rich creamy lead tone - one of my friends uses it in this manner with a Blackstar HT5 and it sounds AMAZING!

QUOTE (Nava @ Jul 28 2014, 01:48 PM) *
Thanks Todd, Gabe and Cosmin for ur kindness to explain the importance of an overdrive before hitting the interface smile.gif

This Soundcloud file is just ONE effect and showing the difference between S-Gear effect and then when Overdrive hits in.

I have a lot of effects to try and find a really good tone, so thanks SO much for the help.

Well, here it is. Nothing fancy, just a quick test to show that it made a difference wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 28 2014, 08:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Nava @ Jul 28 2014, 10:48 AM) *

hehehe I can notice the big difference when you add the overdrive! Your tone sounds perfect for those riffs and solos when you turn it on! Great to know that our comments helped. Keep on experimenting!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 30 2014, 06:42 AM
Spiff!!! smile.gif Nice trick eh? It's a very handy trick to try a hardware pedal before your input on your recording interface smile.gif I also have tried a stompbox EQ in the past. Typically I'd try to cut the bass/low frequency a bit with the stomp eq. Try to cut back the lowest slider on the left and palm mute the low E. Listen to how it impacts tone. With a bit of cut, it will "tighten" up the tone quite a bit. smile.gif

These sorts of things usually happen just by experimentation and come with time just trying things. The only thing I don't like about using pedals with software is that I need the pedal again with the same settings if I want to re record, but usually I just grab the pedal and make up new settings smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Nava @ Jul 28 2014, 09:48 AM) *

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:06 AM