2 Pages V  < 1 2  
A Topic Dedicated To Speed - Prime Examples Of Insanely Fast Playing, And Of Course Tips, Questions And Answers , And Analysis Of Whats Going On
ch00ch00man
May 12 2007, 06:47 AM
GMC:er
Okay, I have to admit, I have been living under a rock for the better part of the last twenty five years. Ever since Rhoads died (1982), I just didn't have the heart to play. So, I basically missed all the great guitarists that have come along since then. I especially never heard of MAB. I got so intrigued after watching the promo, that I followed the links to www.metalmethod.com and bought everything (ah, its good to have money!). But I'm not gullible, and I know that its not the videos that are gonna make me better, its, as Pavel puts it, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! But still its good to have inspiration wherever it comes from, so I'm really looking forward to them.

Now, two questions if I may. First, is it just me, or his hand movements on the DVD don't correspond to the speed the sound suggests they should be moving at. Either his fingers are moving so fast that at thirty frames per second the video is not fast enough and it aliases, or something else entirely is wrong (I shudder to think what that may be). Second, whats up with the right hand? He looks like he is picking with his thumb and index fingers moving only. I actually started playing like that, and thought it was very natural and comfortable. Then everyone told me I should be using my wrist. I had to retrain my hand (took a while too), to do that. Did I get bad advice?

This is a really great thread, btw. Lots of great links to digest, thanks.

Boris

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
May 12 2007, 08:08 AM
ch00ch: I myself have also been wondering about his right hand technique. It hardly looks like hes moving his hand at all! dry.gif ? As of now at 2:30 in the morning I updated the thread.

- John

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 12 2007, 02:18 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Its moving, trust me, ive seen him live, when you speed pick that fast you want as little movement as possible between up and down strokes, as for his picking hand, when playing that fast, i think Pavel pointed this out in his legato lesson, you want to lift your fingers just Barely off the fret board.

Michael Angelo Batio - Double Guitar Solo

100% real, no joking, he can do that, its absolutely insane!
He plays left and right naded and harmonized his own licks, and at the end where he lifts the guitar over his head, damn thats gotta be hard, it must weight a good 25-35 pounds!

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: May 12 2007, 02:23 PM

+Quote Post
InstruMental Cas...
May 12 2007, 06:07 PM
A couple of cool MAB videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuwLWdLwy-I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcTBk_9907s

+Quote Post
Pavel
May 12 2007, 06:22 PM
Instructor
When i first started to practice using SK1 i tried to do it with MAB's technique. I played that way for a year after that i could not move from the deadspot. I did improved to a certain speed but than it all stopped. And i switched to "wrist" kind of picking. The MAB's picking just doesn't work for me.

It's a mix of thumb/index picking with wrist picking. If you watch it close it looks like he is using the whole wrist but fixed with 3 fingers on the pickguard. Strange picking but he found his way to it and it works for him.

I better stick to wrist picking.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 14 2007, 12:11 PM
MAB's Tchnique is quite unique, and almost impossibole, i think the only way it really works is if it just comes natural.

And remember, were talking about the guy who can play left and right handed....at the same time, on a double neck guitar, playing two different rythms, harmonizing his own stuff, while playing that guitar upside down above his head....

+Quote Post
ch00ch00man
May 14 2007, 06:54 PM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ May 14 2007, 07:11 AM) *
MAB's Tchnique is quite unique, and almost impossibole, i think the only way it really works is if it just comes natural.
And remember, were talking about the guy who can play left and right handed....at the same time, on a double neck guitar, playing two different rythms, harmonizing his own stuff, while playing that guitar upside down above his head....

Dude, don't forget the; while walking on water part (very important). biggrin.gif

Boris

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 15 2007, 03:00 AM
While parting the red sea and turining it into wine and smiting Sinful citys like Sodom And Gommorah

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
May 16 2007, 04:05 AM
found a cool buckethead ballet, pretty sure you guys have heard whitewash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8akmP6Sjv2o

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:01 PM