Midi Pickup
KenA
Oct 17 2016, 12:30 PM
GMC:er
Hi all, I was writing some guitar tunes into Guitar Pro lately and at some point I realized it's quite a slow and time consuming process. That lead me to think that 'maybe' if I use a MIDI Pickup to capture and input the playing into Guitar Pro or any other sw, that would make things much faster. (ok, probably I'll have to fix some notes here and there, but...)

I saw that Fishman and Roland have both MIDI pickups, but the question is: anyone tried to accomplish something like that before? Good results? Waste of $? Still will be time consuming? ...

I think, if the gear works well, it could also be a helper tool to better learn music notation?

Thanks in advance smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
===KenA===
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
Mertay
Oct 17 2016, 01:14 PM
No experiance but I thought would audio to midi would work? many DAW's has that function or just google it for programs, my idea is GP can paste midi files as notation you won't have to buy a pickup (the latency of a midi pickup is also something that needs investigating)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
KenA
Oct 17 2016, 01:37 PM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Oct 17 2016, 12:14 PM) *
No experiance but I thought would audio to midi would work? many DAW's has that function or just google it for programs, my idea is GP can paste midi files as notation you won't have to buy a pickup (the latency of a midi pickup is also something that needs investigating)

Good idea! I know I can do audio to midi here in Ableton, well let's see... Latency in midi pickups, well thought, plus they aren't cheap as well...

--------------------
===KenA===

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 17 2016, 10:22 PM
I've only ever used them for making sounds not for doing Notation. Although I'm sure I've heard of them being used in this way, in fact I'm pretty sure David Wallimann reviewed a Midi Converter a while ago which he used for both purposes. (If memory serves!!)

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 18 2016, 02:26 AM
BINGO!!! Going midi saves wads of time and frustration when notating in guitar pro IMHO smile.gif There are some bits of course that still need doing by hand, but just being able to "play in" a passage is soooooooo much simpler than typing it. For me anyway smile.gif when I was making up to 8 bits of tablature for my vid chat lessons every week, midi capture was a huge blessing indeed. I didn't spend the kind of money that a fishman setup would take, though. Instead I went a bit more DIY and used a game controller in the shape of a guitar (Rock Band 3 controller) They only ran about $50 and I still have two of them. One was just for backup. They also work great for doing recording stuff and using it instead of a keyboard for things like midi bass/strings/etc. smile.gif

But being that it is just a game controller with a midi port that I'm running in to a Roland midi to usb converter, it's nowhere near as sophisticated as a real midi pickup.

Here is a vid of a guy doing the same thing with the rock band 3 controller. I also find I don't use my midi keyboard anymore as I prefer doing all midi input with the guitar since I"m a bit crap on keybaords smile.gif

QUOTE (KenA @ Oct 17 2016, 07:30 AM) *
Hi all, I was writing some guitar tunes into Guitar Pro lately and at some point I realized it's quite a slow and time consuming process. That lead me to think that 'maybe' if I use a MIDI Pickup to capture and input the playing into Guitar Pro or any other sw, that would make things much faster. (ok, probably I'll have to fix some notes here and there, but...)

I saw that Fishman and Roland have both MIDI pickups, but the question is: anyone tried to accomplish something like that before? Good results? Waste of $? Still will be time consuming? ...

I think, if the gear works well, it could also be a helper tool to better learn music notation?

Thanks in advance smile.gif

+Quote Post
KenA
Oct 18 2016, 02:39 AM
Wow, nice to see more options ... I'll check Walliman's site and that $50 little guitar is a good candidate for the task! Thanks guys :-)

--------------------
===KenA===

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 18 2016, 01:09 PM
Happy to help smile.gif I"ve been using the Madcatz controller for years. I just did a quick search on youtube and found other folks were doing it as well. You can get one on ebay for around $50=$60 give or take. It's a great way to do midi input for guitar pro and midi for strings/vst imho smile.gif Thought I was blazing a trail til I found out it was really quite common smile.gif

Here is the guitar controller on amazon that is the one I use. It's for Wii. I don't use it for that of course. smile.gif
https://www.amazon.com/Rock-Wireless-Fender...ar+3+controller

The Roland Inferface to go from MIDI to USB interface is less than $50. So for about $100 you get a way to input to guitar pro and a sort of "kitar" smile.gif

https://www.amazon.com/Roland-UM-ONE-MK2-MI...and+usb+to+midi

QUOTE (KenA @ Oct 17 2016, 09:39 PM) *
Wow, nice to see more options ... I'll check Walliman's site and that $50 little guitar is a good candidate for the task! Thanks guys :-)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:41 PM