3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
My Weight Loss Journey, ...motivation by having fun!
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 25 2021, 12:16 AM
Learning Rock Star
I used to play football a lot when I was younger, and even into my early 20's I was relatively fit. Since then I had to stop playing football due to injuries, and through lack of exercising, getting on medication and what not I gained about 120 pounds or more. This has lead to lifestyle problems related to the overweight, such as sleep apnea and diabetes. Luckily my numbers in regards to blood sugar are low and stable, so that's good, despite the fact that I'm not good at remembering to take my medication for it, but the way forward for me does seem to be to exercise more.

I know they often say weight loss is in the diet, but I usually don't have the energy to cook much or the money to pay for pre-made healthier meals, and I've always had good luck with losing weight only through exercising. About 2 months ago I was at 150 kg/330 lbs. I was just on the scale today and I'm at 143.5 kg or 316 lbs.

This has mostly happened since I joined some exercise football fitness here in town. Something called Football for the Heart, for people with lifestyle problems. The first training session was on the 11th of June. It's just 1 hour each Friday, and it's in whatever tempo you want to participate in.

Here are some pictures from that:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Now there's a summer break untill the 20th of August, which started some 1½ or 2 weeks ago, I think, but I decided to try and keep working on getting in shape again, so I'm doing 2 sessions a weel by myself running around on a local football field for 25-30 minutes.

My main goal is not to lose weight, to be honest, it is to have fun first and foremost with a sport I like. If someone told me to go to the gym, play golf or something else I'd lose interest quickly. That's been my experience in the past. So football it is and fun it is, but only in a tempo and at a pace my knees can handle, which means I'm not joining a "real" club, but exercise football works!

I made a video about it today! This is about the first time in about 7 years that I'm shooting at a full size goal.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jul 25 2021, 12:28 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jul 24 2021, 02:16 PM) *
I used to play football a lot when I was younger, and even into my early 20's I was relatively fit. Since then I had to stop playing football due to injuries, and through lack of exercising, getting on medication and what not I gained about 120 pounds or more. This has lead to lifestyle problems related to the overweight, such as sleep apnea and diabetes. Luckily my numbers in regards to blood sugar are low and stable, so that's good, despite the fact that I'm not good at remembering to take my medication for it, but the way forward for me does seem to be to exercise more.

I know they often say weight loss is in the diet, but I usually don't have the energy to cook much or the money to pay for pre-made healthier meals, and I've always had good luck with losing weight only through exercising. About 2 months ago I was at 150 kg/330 lbs. I was just on the scale today and I'm at 143.5 kg or 316 lbs.

This has mostly happened since I joined some exercise football fitness here in town. Something called Football for the Heart, for people with lifestyle problems. The first training session was on the 11th of June. It's just 1 hour each Friday, and it's in whatever tempo you want to participate in.

Here are some pictures from that:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Now there's a summer break untill the 20th of August, which started some 1½ or 2 weeks ago, I think, but I decided to try and keep working on getting in shape again, so I'm doing 2 sessions a weel by myself running around on a local football field for 25-30 minutes.

My main goal is not to lose weight, to be honest, it is to have fun first and foremost with a sport I like. If someone told me to go to the gym, play golf or something else I'd lose interest quickly. That's been my experience in the past. So football it is and fun it is, but only in a tempo and at a pace my knees can handle, which means I'm not joining a "real" club, but exercise football works!

I made a video about it today! This is about the first time in about 7 years that I'm shooting at a full size goal.

That's pretty good progress, man. Keep it up! Swimming is another great way to shed weight and it's low impact on the joints. Maybe water polo could be good during the winter months?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 25 2021, 12:34 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jul 25 2021, 01:28 AM) *
That's pretty good progress, man. Keep it up! Swimming is another great way to shed weight and it's low impact on the joints. Maybe water polo could be good during the winter months?

Thanks, I suppose it comes down to doing a sport I enjoy. As said, I don't think I would enjoy water polo (tried it a few times when I was swimming as a kid in a "club"). As for swimming in itself, I'm not totally comfortable with showing my body off in that way, though I know noe one would mind. Football it is, as stated, and it works! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jul 25 2021, 12:37 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jul 24 2021, 02:34 PM) *
Thanks, I suppose it comes down to doing a sport I enjoy. As said, I don't think I would enjoy water polo (tried it a few times when I was swimming as a kid in a "club"). As for swimming in itself, I'm not totally comfortable with showing my body off in that way, though I know noe one would mind. Football it is, as stated, and it works! smile.gif

Whatever works, go for it. Hopefully there is an indoor venue where you can keep it going during the winter.

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Jul 25 2021, 12:38 AM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 25 2021, 01:01 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jul 25 2021, 01:37 AM) *
Whatever works, go for it. Hopefully there is an indoor venue where you can keep it going during the winter.

We have a saying here that goes like: "there's no such thing as bad weather, only wrong clothing". We played football in the snow as kids, and while it will be more difficult to get motivated in the cold, we don't really have THAT much snow for longer periods. Might be a week or two with snow here or there. But the football fitness team I'm playing with (Football for the Heart) is year round on an outdoor artificial pitch. You might be able to see that it's artificial in some of the first pictures cool.gif It's not heated though, I think, so if there's 10 inches of snow we're not playing of course.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Jul 25 2021, 01:01 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 25 2021, 02:09 AM
GMC:er
Super congrats! Looks like wads of fun as a bonus! I think you are spot on. it really has to be something enjoyable or it's just too easy to lose interest. Thats a great goal kick btw! Great news that the pitch is open year round as well. Like you said, unless its a blizzard or something you can always put on another jacket smile.gif

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jul 24 2021, 08:01 PM) *
We have a saying here that goes like: "there's no such thing as bad weather, only wrong clothing". We played football in the snow as kids, and while it will be more difficult to get motivated in the cold, we don't really have THAT much snow for longer periods. Might be a week or two with snow here or there. But the football fitness team I'm playing with (Football for the Heart) is year round on an outdoor artificial pitch. You might be able to see that it's artificial in some of the first pictures cool.gif It's not heated though, I think, so if there's 10 inches of snow we're not playing of course.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 25 2021, 02:41 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 25 2021, 03:09 AM) *
Super congrats! Looks like wads of fun as a bonus! I think you are spot on. it really has to be something enjoyable or it's just too easy to lose interest. Thats a great goal kick btw! Great news that the pitch is open year round as well. Like you said, unless its a blizzard or something you can always put on another jacket smile.gif

My shooting power is very limited these days, both due to knee pain, lack of strength after years of no exercise and my technique could get better in terms of shooting. Maybe in time smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 25 2021, 09:18 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Well done buddy, keep it up.

Exercise doesn't seem to work for me regarding weight. I used to be gym crazy, not aerobic exercise but hitting the weights until a shoulder injury stopped all that, I had twelve months off physio, three steroid infections and a manipulation under anaesthetic. It made it a lot better but I was never able to bench press more that 80lbs after that, I used to do around 250lbs for ten reps. As my muscle mass reduced my fat increased, as you probably know, muscle is an active tissue and keeps metabolism up. Anyway after a few years of weight gain it stabilised, I'd been at around 170lbs for a few years and was eating just enough to prevent hunger. I have an active manual job on my feet for 9 hours, but I decided to walk two miles every lunch break (30 minutes). I did it for two years wind, rain and snow, and didn't lose any weight at all. I mentioned it to my doctor at an annual health check and they said I must be eating too much. I said, "what's very odd though is that I've been the same weight for a few years, I kept my food /drink intake the same and added ten miles walking a week, it doesn't make sense", the doctor couldn't understand why, so couldn't give an answer.

The only health issue I have, apart from obesity (180lbs) is hypertension which is under control and starting to come down to almost medically low levels, when discovered it was 200/110 it's currently 112/68 and at my last check up my blood test results were good and the doc said "looking at this, you're at no risk of developing diabetes any time soon"

I guess my diet helps a lot with my health despite being over weight. 90% of what I eat is fresh and unprocessed. I might have one or two McDonalds a year, the odd Chinese takeaway and pizza one in a while, my biggest vice is beer and wine at the weekend, I don't get drunk but I do have more than recommended levels but, even when I do Dry January I still don't lose weight.

Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread Ben, keep up the good work mate, and as with everything in life, keep on enjoying what you're doing, happiness is one of the best things you can have.

Stay safe

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 25 2021, 09:23 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 25 2021, 10:18 AM) *
Well done buddy, keep it up.

Exercise doesn't seem to work for me regarding weight. I used to be gym crazy, not aerobic exercise but hitting the weights until a shoulder injury stopped all that, I had twelve months off physio, three steroid infections and a manipulation under anaesthetic. It made it a lot better but I was never able to bench press more that 80lbs after that, I used to do around 250lbs for ten reps. As my muscle mass reduced my fat increased, as you probably know, muscle is an active tissue and keeps metabolism up. Anyway after a few years of weight gain it stabilised, I'd been at around 170lbs for a few years and was eating just enough to prevent hunger. I have an active manual job on my feet for 9 hours, but I decided to walk two miles every lunch break (30 minutes). I did it for two years wind, rain and snow, and didn't lose any weight at all. I mentioned it to my doctor at an annual health check and they said I must be eating too much. I said, "what's very odd though is that I've been the same weight for a few years, I kept my food /drink intake the same and added ten miles walking a week, it doesn't make sense", the doctor couldn't understand why, so couldn't give an answer.

The only health issue I have, apart from obesity (180lbs) is hypertension which is under control and starting to come down to almost medically low levels, when discovered it was 200/110 it's currently 112/68 and at my last check up my blood test results were good and the doc said "looking at this, you're at no risk of developing diabetes any time soon"

I guess my diet helps a lot with my health despite being over weight. 90% of what I eat is fresh and unprocessed. I might have one or two McDonalds a year, the odd Chinese takeaway and pizza one in a while, my biggest vice is beer and wine at the weekend, I don't get drunk but I do have more than recommended levels but, even when I do Dry January I still don't lose weight.

Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread Ben, keep up the good work mate, and as with everything in life, keep on enjoying what you're doing, happiness is one of the best things you can have.

Stay safe

Phil

You're not hijacking at all. Just a good dialogue smile.gif For me changing my diet drastically - or cooking healthily takes a lot of energy, and as exercising seems to work, then that's the way for me. I have cut energy drinks completely from my diet since New Years Eve though.

As said I was relatively fit at 200-220 lbs, still overweight, but capable of football training for 90 minutes or more without issues in regards to condition, 60 miles bicycle rides and so on. At 320 lbs that's not the case anymore of course.

My blood pressure was meassured as too high even 10 years ago. About 150/105. Doc said: "it's not gonna kill you now, but don't do nothing about it for 10 years". So I went 10 years without doing anything about it... it's a bit better now usually, but still with room for improvement. Usually about 135-140 over 95. Sometimes lower, sometimes higher.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jul 25 2021, 10:07 AM
Good on you and keep it up!
I love that expression, "only improper clothing".

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 25 2021, 10:07 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jul 25 2021, 09:23 AM) *
You're not hijacking at all. Just a good dialogue smile.gif For me changing my diet drastically - or cooking healthily takes a lot of energy, and as exercising seems to work, then that's the way for me. I have cut energy drinks completely from my diet since New Years Eve though.

As said I was relatively fit at 200-220 lbs, still overweight, but capable of football training for 90 minutes or more without issues in regards to condition, 60 miles bicycle rides and so on. At 320 lbs that's not the case anymore of course.

My blood pressure was meassured as too high even 10 years ago. About 150/105. Doc said: "it's not gonna kill you now, but don't do nothing about it for 10 years". So I went 10 years without doing anything about it... it's a bit better now usually, but still with room for improvement. Usually about 135-140 over 95. Sometimes lower, sometimes higher.

Energy drinks are terrible and a lot of people use them because they're tired, it's not that kind of energy but the hit of sugar causes a quick lift but because it's so intense it causes a release of insulin that is over and above requirements causing a drop in blood sugar. I think the expensive energy drinks are the only ones that are truly isotonic which is a bit better.

You don't need to "cook healthily" per se, just try to keep as much as possible as close to the way nature provides it as possible and that's a good start.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 25 2021, 10:09 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 25 2021, 11:00 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 25 2021, 11:07 AM) *
Energy drinks are terrible and a lot of people use them because they're tired, it's not that kind of energy but the hit of sugar causes a quick lift but because it's so intense it causes a release of insulin that is over and above requirements causing a drop in blood sugar. I think the expensive energy drinks are the only ones that are truly isotonic which is a bit better.

You don't need to "cook healthily" per se, just try to keep as much as possible as close to the way nature provides it as possible and that's a good start.

Yeah, they're not good whichever way you look at it, I suppose, even if it was mostly sugar-free I drank. My tiredness and energy levels were more affected too, all up and down. They're more stable now, but I still get tired at times of course, though it's kinda been better since I started exercising. I'm glad I cut the energy drinks out though, it was also quite an expensive habit.

Well, relatively healthy then, i.e. salad and vegetables is better for diabetes, rather than just meat, potatoes and gravy. I generally have 0% interest in cooking, though I love ALL kinds of food and there's nothing I can't or won't eat. But chopping vegetables really tests my patience and focus too much. I also turn into a clown in a kitchen, and I've got quite a few anecdotes on that laugh.gif I do find it hard to find the motivation to cook for just me though, and I've lived on my own for more than 10-11 years now. I lived with my ex for a year back in 2009 to 2010, and it was easier then to find a reason to cook and spend time on cooking.

I've had healthy meals delivered before, but it gets very expensive in the end. Three (healthy "lose weight") meals a day x5 for 4 weeks is about 350 GBP here. And then you still need to buy food for the remaining 10 days. If I stay tight on my budget (I don't anymore, cause I have a bit more to spend on food now anyway) I can sit at around 200-250 GBP a month food+ shopping. It kinda sits around 350 GBP now anyway, but that's for the entire month and not just those 20 days mentioned in the meal delivery. And if I really wanted to live off of pasta and ketchup (I don't though) I know people who stay within like 100-130 GBP for the month.
I do like all food though, and also healthy food, so there's no problem there. It's just kinda more expensive if you're ordering it that way. And making it myself is not that attractive an option to me unfortunately currently. But then it's good that exercising does the trick for me health and weight wise cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 25 2021, 12:03 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jul 24 2021, 11:16 PM) *

Awesome!

I'm also some-what in a self chance period, realized I should invest in my self-valuing (not sure what the English term is) way more than I used to. On the outside it may seem like taking better care of myself regarding food, wearing better cloths, not overthinking stuff etc. but its really about the psychology and even the smallest steps seems to be working.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 25 2021, 12:22 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 25 2021, 01:03 PM) *
Awesome!

I'm also some-what in a self chance period, realized I should invest in my self-valuing (not sure what the English term is) way more than I used to. On the outside it may seem like taking better care of myself regarding food, wearing better cloths, not overthinking stuff etc. but its really about the psychology and even the smallest steps seems to be working.

Finding the path that works is the best thing, yes. People might say "you need to do a, b, c and this and that", but if something else works for you, makes happy and healthy to the extent you want to be, then I suppose that's more than good enough too. But yes, small steps are good.

I'm in a diabetes group on Facebook, and whenever I mention that my numbers are fine, I'm losing weight, doing good, but that I forget to take my medication everyone is so eager to tell me to try a schedule, try an alarm and all these things that they argue "work for them". I've tried those thing, but it seems exercising works for me in keeping everything in check. I know they do it from a good perspective, but sometimes we can be applauded for small steps too and for our own steps, even if they're not the common steps. If one is not comfortable in the gym, maybe it's fine to just be there 15 minutes for the first month or two instead of pushing to be there 1½ hour, getting uncomfortable and quitting it after two weeks. I don't know if that's a good example, but not every plan works for everyone smile.gif Find your own way to achieve your goals and seek out validation and support for those. When I started playing football 1½ month ago, and I proudly told my friend it was a good experience and that I could actually keep up with them fitness and technique wise, the first thing he said was: "Cool, but don't put too much into being able to keep up with them as they're a bit older than you". Way to burst the happy bubble I was in, huh... smile.gif

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Jul 25 2021, 12:28 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Jul 25 2021, 01:29 PM
Learning Tone Master
I do research with endocrinologists and dietitians specialised in diabetics.

Let me share some advice on the matter:

Nutrition is the first thing that needs to be addressed and I can not stress this enough; so far the Mediterranean diet is the best option for prevention of almost any disease!

Measure what you eat and you will be surprised by how easily you can consume too many calories without knowing it. Keep a food calendar and try to spot which foods you eat are calorie-dense (small portion but with high calorie value).

As an exercise walking is recommended for obese people, or swimming, in order to avoid excess force on the knees/joints. Try 30' to 1 hr of walking until you reach <100 Kg.

Then you start weight lifting to strengthen your back, legs, core and in general the bones.

Try having short-term and achievable goals, and reward yourself when you achieve them.
This way you will stay motivated.

I'm rooting for you, and I am more than happy to help as much as I can!

P.S: from your full body pictures I can say for sure that you have the genes to gain muscle fast and become one hell of a strong beast!!

This post has been edited by Steve Gilfield: Jul 25 2021, 01:32 PM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 25 2021, 01:47 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Jul 25 2021, 02:29 PM) *
I do research with endocrinologists and dietitians specialised in diabetics.

Let me share some advice on the matter:

Nutrition is the first thing that needs to be addressed and I can not stress this enough; so far the Mediterranean diet is the best option for prevention of almost any disease!

Measure what you eat and you will be surprised by how easily you can consume too many calories without knowing it. Keep a food calendar and try to spot which foods you eat are calorie-dense (small portion but with high calorie value).

As an exercise walking is recommended for obese people, or swimming, in order to avoid excess force on the knees/joints. Try 30' to 1 hr of walking until you reach <100 Kg.

Then you start weight lifting to strengthen your back, legs, core and in general the bones.

Try having short-term and achievable goals, and reward yourself when you achieve them.
This way you will stay motivated.

I'm rooting for you, and I am more than happy to help as much as I can!

P.S: from your full body pictures I can say for sure that you have the genes to gain muscle fast and become one hell of a strong beast!!

The problem with exercising is also psychological for me t hough. If I don't enjoy walking or swimming I will end up not doing it. So I need a form of exercise that I can stick to and find fun. And as for food - and not enjoying cooking, meassuring calories and what not adds to the "burden" it already is. Of course I have a "general" idea and have been looking at calories before, so it's not like I'm eating a pizza and then go: "this is healthy because I only had 7 out of the 8 slices". I do drink light products (with the right type of sweeteners, not the bad ones for diabetics), so small steps.

Interestingly enough my HCBa1c was around 51 to 56 (mmol/mol) when I was eating better than now. But it dropped (positively) to 46 (recent meassure) when I added exercising, though I simultaneously didn't quite keep up with eating better. That said, of course it takes about 3 months back into account. Even considering that, still my numbers improved by adding exercise to my week. But we're talking going from near inactive (still riding my bicycle some 30 minutes a day) to adding about 60 minutes of running about and pushing myself cardio wise. I've tried walking and the gym before, but it never really worked for me. If I'm dreading every walk and every session at the gym, then it's no fun. If I enjoy football and it feels "back to the roots"-ish while also having a positive effect weight wise and diabetes wise, then I think I'm doing okay.

Also, let me of course add that I'm not saying you're not right and that the diet isn't important. It's just not what seems to work for me or keep me motivated even through the longer periods of trying that. If it works for some all the better! My numbers are relatively fine as said, and hopefully improving still, doing what I'm doing smile.gif I have experts in diabetes around me too from a Center for Diabetes at the hospital (and not just my regular doctor), and they're absolutely telling me I do "something" right, whatever that is. If it was going in the wrong direction it might have been time to change course.

I 100% know you meant well, but I've tried those things before and they didn't work for me on a mental level, but I'm now happy to seemingly having found a road that's right for me. And as long as that is towards success (for me) then I'm happy.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Jul 25 2021, 01:58 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
FreePizza
Jul 25 2021, 02:18 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Good kicks Ben! 💯 Keep up the stellar work, you got this. Sub'd, btw. 👍

This post has been edited by FreePizza: Jul 25 2021, 03:25 PM

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Jul 25 2021, 02:30 PM
Learning Tone Master
When I mentioned walking, I meant outside; walk with a friend along the beach or at your city centre or get off the bus 2 stops before your destination, use the stairs instead of the elevator. All of these will add up at the end of the day.

But if you are being regulated by doctors/physicians and they let you play football then by all means do that smile.gif

Diet is not a good word since many people associate it with something temporary. What the doctors here are trying to do is make a nutrition plan which can be followed by the patient forever. Once you find the right portions of the foods you enjoy eating and which are at he same time healthy for you, then you can easily follow that plan and you will never feel you are missing on anything.

Again, all the best my dude!

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jul 25 2021, 03:47 PM) *
The problem with exercising is also psychological for me t hough. If I don't enjoy walking or swimming I will end up not doing it. So I need a form of exercise that I can stick to and find fun. And as for food - and not enjoying cooking, meassuring calories and what not adds to the "burden" it already is. Of course I have a "general" idea and have been looking at calories before, so it's not like I'm eating a pizza and then go: "this is healthy because I only had 7 out of the 8 slices". I do drink light products (with the right type of sweeteners, not the bad ones for diabetics), so small steps.

Interestingly enough my HCBa1c was around 51 to 56 (mmol/mol) when I was eating better than now. But it dropped (positively) to 46 (recent meassure) when I added exercising, though I simultaneously didn't quite keep up with eating better. That said, of course it takes about 3 months back into account. Even considering that, still my numbers improved by adding exercise to my week. But we're talking going from near inactive (still riding my bicycle some 30 minutes a day) to adding about 60 minutes of running about and pushing myself cardio wise. I've tried walking and the gym before, but it never really worked for me. If I'm dreading every walk and every session at the gym, then it's no fun. If I enjoy football and it feels "back to the roots"-ish while also having a positive effect weight wise and diabetes wise, then I think I'm doing okay.

Also, let me of course add that I'm not saying you're not right and that the diet isn't important. It's just not what seems to work for me or keep me motivated even through the longer periods of trying that. If it works for some all the better! My numbers are relatively fine as said, and hopefully improving still, doing what I'm doing smile.gif I have experts in diabetes around me too from a Center for Diabetes at the hospital (and not just my regular doctor), and they're absolutely telling me I do "something" right, whatever that is. If it was going in the wrong direction it might have been time to change course.

I 100% know you meant well, but I've tried those things before and they didn't work for me on a mental level, but I'm now happy to seemingly having found a road that's right for me. And as long as that is towards success (for me) then I'm happy.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 25 2021, 03:17 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Jul 25 2021, 03:30 PM) *
When I mentioned walking, I meant outside; walk with a friend along the beach or at your city centre or get off the bus 2 stops before your destination, use the stairs instead of the elevator. All of these will add up at the end of the day.

But if you are being regulated by doctors/physicians and they let you play football then by all means do that smile.gif

Diet is not a good word since many people associate it with something temporary. What the doctors here are trying to do is make a nutrition plan which can be followed by the patient forever. Once you find the right portions of the foods you enjoy eating and which are at he same time healthy for you, then you can easily follow that plan and you will never feel you are missing on anything.

Again, all the best my dude!

I have to add in mental health related conditions too. I've mentioned in other places here that I struggle with schizophrenia and similar. I know I didn't mention it in this thread, so that's my fault.

Even walking (as an exercise form) with a friend never really worked though, going for those 10.000 steps or whatever it might be. It either became an obsession, a competition and nearly ruined a friendship even. If it works for some, all the best! Try different methods to see if what works is my best non-professional advice, but merely from personal experience, and I try to state that. I do use my bicycle to get around 95% of the time though, and the remaining part by public transportation, and I do take the stairs and so on.

I mean, it's not football in a regular club, cause that would be too much in many ways. It's in a place where if you're exhausted you stop, if your knees hurt you take a break etc. No one's pushing me beyond the limits of what I should do - as goes for everyone else there. It's for overweight people, people with heart issues, diabetes and what not. I kinda know my body through all these years of struggling with injuries, and while I did push myself too much last night due to a malfunction of my phone's camera, I usually stop when I start to feel pain, and as long as it's not becoming a problem later on or building up to be stressful and worsening for my knees, then it's seemingly fine.

Well, with "diet" I don't mean eating healthy for a period. Diet is anything in my mind. Eating 2 pizzas a day is a diet too. It's not really about missing out, as I genuinly like all food, be that pizza, a salad or clams. It comes down to me quickly being demotivated cooking for one person, chopping vegetables and so on. do buy them pre-chopped and frozen for the most part, mind you, but there's still some preperation time in the kitchen. That's almost unavoidable unless I order prepared meal delivery, but then we're talking something that's too expensive. So I'm currently doing what I'm doing that's working for me. I'm not advising people to necessarily take the same route. I'm advising people to do what works for them, and that may include a healthier diet, jumping jacks or sending letters to Santa asking for a book about weight loss. Of course it needs to be within the realms of healthy living, and I wouldn't ask every person my size to play football or run about. The experts are not wrong in guiding people towards what they know works for most cool.gif I do notice quite a lot of people being demotivated by this kind of "typical" advice on healthier living and diabetes, that is judging from the diabetes group I mentioned. Of course there are many success stories too, but even the experts don't have a 100% success rate.

I meant to add that I have no need to become a strong beast. People have told me that I could become that if I wanted to based on my physique. I'd like to just get back down to 100 kg, which I was in 2012:

Attached Image

Other doctors have advised me to follow BMI, meaning from that above picture I'd have to lose 25 kg or 55 lbs, which just seems excessive, which would have me a few kgs below what I was in this photo from when I was about 15:

Attached Image

I think it's all very individual in a way, with some guidelines. According to BMI I can drop down to about 59 kg and still be considered healthy, but I don't think I would be healthy personally at that weight, which would equal what I was when I was about 13 years old and could poke out an eye with my ribs very visibly showing etc. And as mentioned in the video at 200-220 lbs I was doing 30-60 miles on a racing bicycle with relative ease somewhat regularly, playing football regularly mostly limited by my knees rather than physical condition. My knees were bad even when I was younger and slimmer though. I just think it can be difficult to find a standardized system that works for each and all - both physically and mentally, life-situation wise, time-wise and so on.

It's an interesting discussion though. Some people can have a piece of cake once a fortnight and have no problems (blood sugar may rise that day), while others can't or won't, but it's probably more so when you live off of pizzas, coke and cake every day that it becomes a real problem. When I say I don't eat healthy, it's more so that I don't make every meal about vegetables and all the good stuff. I do eat that steak, potatoes and gravy at times, and probably a bit too often according to some of the experts. My mom became very obsessed about it all when I told her I had been diagnosed with diabetes. We were visiting my uncle and aunt and some cake was served, and my mom immediately went "No, you can't have that, Ben!". As said though, my numbers are relatively fine and still hopefully improving, which is good for long term health.

Again, 100%, nothing wrong with experts saying "this is a good approach!" cause it's what works for most people. I just kept running my head against a wall with that, so I had to climb over the wall or dig under it laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jul 25 2021, 09:46 PM
Learning Tone Master
congratas . What I have done lately is cutting out sugar / carbs / bread once I eat dinner and dropped 5 LBs just from that. I don't keep favorite foods, pop or things I love but rather just time of day when I have them.
I don't know where you live but alot of people walk the malls ( indoor or out) , they have plenty of people and window shopping and things to look at to take there mind off of walking

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:17 PM