All Fifths Tuning
vonhotch
Aug 7 2012, 11:47 PM
GMC:er
I was wondering if anybody had any experience or opinons of this tuning for guitar. I have been looking into trying a tuning of FCGDAE. I have done a little math to figure out the approximate guages to keep the tension about the same a light set. I like idea of having the range of an eight string on only six, and the symmetry of the patterns and chords. Thoughts?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
del-4fr53e3
Aug 8 2012, 12:11 AM
Learning Tone Master
The new standard tuning has been gaining a lot of momentum, and your idea is almost the same, just shifted one string. If you want to try it, why not set it up and see how you like it? smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 8 2012, 03:28 PM
Instructor
I agree with Sollesnes! I have never tried it but I tried many different tuning when I was working on my Sonic Youth style lesson, since they use lots of alternative tuning. Change your guitar's tuning and explore it by yourself! and it would be great if you share your experience here at the forum. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Aug 8 2012, 04:22 PM
Cool. I'll let you know how it goes. I had been waiting till I got my 7 string back together (upgrades), so I could string my warlock up in fifths and leave it that way to give it a fair chance with out having to switch back and forth for lessons. I will try it soon. smile.gif Until this the most alternate tuning I have tried is drop d tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AdamB
Aug 9 2012, 09:51 PM
Isn't that how violins tune, in fifths?

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Aug 10 2012, 12:41 AM
QUOTE (AdamB @ Aug 9 2012, 08:51 PM) *
Isn't that how violins tune, in fifths?

Yes, violins are tuned GDAE. Cellos, and violas also tune in fifths and I think mandolins too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Yash
Aug 10 2012, 10:56 AM
I tried it once, out of curiosity, and it was pretty sweet smile.gif But open chords were tougher to play due to change in fingerings and voicing
You can still have some fun with it though wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Sep 23 2012, 04:58 PM
So I have got my guitar all strung up F,C,G,D,A,E. I thought I would share what I'm doing with it so far if anybody is interested. My string gauges are 10,15,24w,36,54,82.
Here is an A minor scale chart.

here is what it sounds like
http://soundcloud.com/vonhotch/5am/s-Wpkx8
And here is a quick riff. I didn't spend a lot of time with it so I appologize for quality. It's pretty doomy and ambient but sort of shows the range.
http://soundcloud.com/vonhotch/5r1/s-TXpaE
It seems like a fairly easy tuning to get used to and am not having any trouble switching back and forth while learing it.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:39 PM