2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Advice On Pick Ups
MonkeyDAthos
Jun 12 2011, 10:58 PM
GMC:er
heys guys im looking for 2 humbuckers for my guitar the range of money doesn't matter, passive or active? well i was trying to go for passive's ones but if you know a kwl ones actives, shout it!

Looking to use them on my band (we play pretty much Indie/Grunge/Punk) but also looking to play at home and getting for example those "full tones" that you can hear on some of dream theater songs.

Ps: the guitar is white so don't worry about the color xD

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Jun 12 2011, 10:59 PM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Jun 12 2011, 11:03 PM
Learning Tone Master
Sounds like you don't really know what you want. Check up some popular brands and read a bit about each of the pickups. Brands like DiMarzio and Seymour Duncans are very popular. You might also want to check out some more boutique pickups if price really isnt the matter, like Lundgrens and BareKnuckle Pickups.

There is no way anyone can give proper advice on specific pickups unless you write more about what you want, and most of all: what kind of wood is in your guitar. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jun 12 2011, 11:05 PM
QUOTE (Sollesnes @ Jun 12 2011, 11:03 PM) *
Sounds like you don't really know what you want. Check up some popular brands and read a bit about each of the pickups. Brands like DiMarzio and Seymour Duncans are very popular. You might also want to check out some more boutique pickups if price really isnt the matter, like Lundgrens and BareKnuckle Pickups.

There is no way anyone can give proper advice on specific pickups unless you write more about what you want, and most of all: what kind of wood is in your guitar. smile.gif

yep i don't, don't have a clue that'st why i start this topic to get some first insights!

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Jun 12 2011, 11:06 PM
Learning Tone Master
hehe ok smile.gif
What body wood do you have?

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jun 12 2011, 11:11 PM
QUOTE (Sollesnes @ Jun 12 2011, 11:06 PM) *
hehe ok smile.gif
What body wood do you have?

not really anything that good at all, it has 1 years old. da guitar, it was from my cousin, since he doesn't use it and trow it away would be a waste in my opinion, i decide to give it a little upgrade.
heres all the info on it

Indian Cedar Body
Bolt on Maple Neck
Rosewood Fingerboard
Reverse Headstock
MOTO Shark Fin Position Inlays
24 Jumbo Frets
Scale: 25,5"/ 648mm
Floyd Rose Licensed Jackson Low Profile JT580 Tremolo
2x Jackson CVR Humbucker Pickups
3 way switch
Chrome Hardware
Volume and Tone control
Incl. Bag
Finish: Snow White

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Jun 12 2011, 11:12 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jun 12 2011, 11:18 PM
Instructor
Yes, Seymour Duncan ( Blackouts,my fav), DiMarzio, EMG, Gibson...

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jun 13 2011, 03:24 AM
Learning Tone Master
if you need to get clean tones look into alnico 5 or alnico 8( seymour ducan) if you don't ,ceramic or active's. Actives do reqiure more work to install and I don't think they would do you justice.Actives rock ,but they have very little dynamics

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jun 13 2011, 03:59 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
You might want to check out the new James Hetfield EMG's. They supposedly have the best qualities of active and passive pickups.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 13 2011, 09:08 AM
Instructor
Hey mate! I am very much into bareknuckle pickups - so, if you want to take a peak and understand what you need based on some specs they provide regarding the combinations between the wood type and pickup type - you should check out this site smile.gif

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/

Look around and pay attention to the insight they provide - you can also write them an email, telling them what you would like to know. They are fast and reliable, so go for it biggrin.gif best of luck mate!

+Quote Post
Stephane Lucarel...
Jun 13 2011, 11:12 AM
Instructor
It's hard to give you some advices cause there's so many brands, characteristics...vintage / modern sounding...

Some great manufacturer : Bare Knuckle, Lollar, Lindy Fralin, but also quite expansive!

--------------------

+Quote Post
dark dude
Jun 13 2011, 01:22 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 13 2011, 09:08 AM) *
Hey mate! I am very much into bareknuckle pickups - so, if you want to take a peak and understand what you need based on some specs they provide regarding the combinations between the wood type and pickup type - you should check out this site smile.gif

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/

Look around and pay attention to the insight they provide - you can also write them an email, telling them what you would like to know. They are fast and reliable, so go for it biggrin.gif best of luck mate!

Yep! You can e-mail them with the specs of your guitar, what sound you want to achieve, and they'll suggest some models. Never heard a complaint tbh.

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 13 2011, 02:37 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
DiMarzio Breed are really full tone and imo perfect for achiving the tone you're looking for. I have a set in an alder Charvel and it really got a phat tone with the alder clear sustain. The distortion becomes very clean and string-separated. Not muddy of muffled.

I also have a set of Evolution (Steve Vai's second set of pups) but imho Breed is the way to go for "full tones" a'la DT

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jun 13 2011, 03:52 PM
ty guys for the first insights!

--------------------

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Jun 13 2011, 08:50 PM
Learning Tone Master
But..

Do you really want to install pickups that are worth more than the guitar? How about a new guitar?

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jun 13 2011, 08:59 PM
QUOTE (Sollesnes @ Jun 13 2011, 08:50 PM) *
But..

Do you really want to install pickups that are worth more than the guitar? How about a new guitar?

the problem is that i think i won't have much money left for a new guitar, gotto buy a new amp for live playing and some material for the band

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 13 2011, 09:23 PM
Instructor
I suggest that you replace one pickup (bridge if you play rhythm&lead, or neck if you play riffs only). Get a hi output passive pickup for starters.

There are pickup selectors/wizards on Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan sites, and you can choose the body wood, and configuration there, and the wizard will recommend some pups. Try to analyze carefully and buy! smile.gif

IMHO, Seymour Duncan JB (bridge) & Jazz (neck) configuration works very good for just about any type of gig, so you might wanna check those out.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jun 13 2011, 09:31 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 13 2011, 09:23 PM) *
I suggest that you replace one pickup (bridge if you play rhythm&lead, or neck if you play riffs only). Get a hi output passive pickup for starters.

There are pickup selectors/wizards on Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan sites, and you can choose the body wood, and configuration there, and the wizard will recommend some pups. Try to analyze carefully and buy! smile.gif

IMHO, Seymour Duncan JB (bridge) & Jazz (neck) configuration works very good for just about any type of gig, so you might wanna check those out.

ty Ivan

--------------------

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Jun 14 2011, 05:55 PM
Learning Tone Master
I don't know what kind of wood your indian cedar resembles, but I wouldn't put the JB in it if the wood is very bright sounding + your maple neck. In that case I would look for something a bit darker to even it out and get a fuller tone. In other words, I recommend you do some googling to find out how your body wood resembles more common electric guitar woods, like mahogany, alder etc etc smile.gif

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jun 14 2011, 11:19 PM
QUOTE (Sollesnes @ Jun 14 2011, 05:55 PM) *
I don't know what kind of wood your indian cedar resembles, but I wouldn't put the JB in it if the wood is very bright sounding + your maple neck. In that case I would look for something a bit darker to even it out and get a fuller tone. In other words, I recommend you do some googling to find out how your body wood resembles more common electric guitar woods, like mahogany, alder etc etc smile.gif

i will for sure, thank you Solle

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jun 14 2011, 11:21 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Sollesnes @ Jun 14 2011, 12:55 PM) *

So what would you categorize as a bright guitar?

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:40 AM