3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Practice Plan With Exercises
Pedja Simovic
Oct 11 2008, 12:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (HexDump @ Oct 11 2008, 12:29 PM) *
Hi again,

Pedja it wasn´t my intention to push you man smile.gif. I really understand everyone has his own life/duties. Just wanted to share my feeling about exercises, etc... Thanks a lot for all the new tips. For the tempos, etc... I will wait for another week, I´m still trying to see how far I can go... This days I´m moving fast upwards (I´m refering to bpm), next week I will be able to give you some information about my top bpm for every exercise Çsmile.gif.

Thanks again for all your time and effort,
HexDUmp.

Hi HexDump !

No pushing allowed biggrin.gif
No problem man I am glad to hear your progress and help you out as much as I can. After all I am here for that reason.
I am glad you are moving tempos and it would be nice to write them down every day and after a week notice your starting and maximum tempo (they should vary then when you started with exercises!).

You welcome HexDump and keep me updated with your progress!

Pedja

QUOTE (PlayAllDay @ Oct 11 2008, 04:25 AM) *
Thanks Pedja - even just a tab of the exercises might be enough? I'm excited to see what ideas you have are working on in the next few days too! biggrin.gif

You welcome PlayAllDay
When I export these files as a tab and upload them on my server I will let you know.
I will make some videos of me doing some vibrato exercises soon because Guitar pro can't teach you vibrato !!!(its probably the worst vibrato I've ever heard in that software biggrin.gif
Couple of days maybe less , keep checking this topic I will announce it here!

Pedja

QUOTE (Sami @ Oct 11 2008, 03:24 AM) *
Pedja This is so great!!! I was just getting to the point where i was gonna refresh my practice schedule(i do this monthly to keep my fingers challenged.) Such a great job you've done here and it actually addresses all the issues in my playing!

Thanks so much my Berklee friend biggrin.gif

Sami my Berklee friend biggrin.gif
Thank you for checking it out. It should definitely help you out no matter what style or level you are at.

Topics covered all used in virtually all styles of music. That is why this stuff works. Sets up strong foundation or builds up on previous knowledge. Most importantly, if you follow the practice routine and you stick with it, your technique will boost by milestone !
Again this is not complete by any means! Its just a great way how to organize your practice routine.

I plan to do more with this stuff but for now I must keep it as a secret until I get everything set wink.gif

How is Berklee man ? Do you need something done there? I can point you to right people there ...

Pedja

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Pedja Simovic: Oct 11 2008, 01:25 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sami
Oct 12 2008, 07:40 AM
Learning Rock Star
Haha aww i havent gotten in yet! hopefully ill be in next fall though biggrin.gif

oh i have a question, when doing the 5 string major sweep i have a problem rolling my middle finger so that it is clean, should my whole hand be moving while i am rolling? or should most of the movement come from my arm?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jun 10 2008, 01:38 PM) *
Crysis kicked arse. Gears of War unfortunately I thought was as good as wiping cottage cheese on a cat's head

Hahahaha just imagine the cat hahahah

QUOTE (fkalich @ May 3 2009, 08:01 PM) *
The thing about being really stupid, is that there are a zillion ways to be a moron. There are usually several ways to be intelligent, given a situation, but it is a small finite number. But there are always a zillion ways to be to blithering idiot. So finding a new way to have the intellect of an artichoke is nothing to be proud of really, it is easy to do.

So true... To bad im still an artichoke haha

+Quote Post
HexDump
Oct 12 2008, 03:10 PM
GMC:er
Hi again,

Well pedja I will try to explain what I´m trying to do in my practice schedule. I´m going to modify yours in a slight way. I have been checking that it is difficult for me to do a lot of exercises in little time. For example 15 exercises in 2 hours. Yes I know it is as easy as just doing each exersice the needed number of minutes, but it feels to me like not getting the most of it.

What I´m going to do is the following:

Now we have 5 techniques with exercises. I will take 3 techniques per day. I will spread them in 1:30 hours (half an hour for each tenchinque and 10 minutes per exercise). And I will change the starting technique in each session. Example if day 1 I selected alternate picking, sweep and legato and played them in this orther, wednesday I will start with sweep, next time with legato, etc.... Why this? because I don´t have time to warm up, and this way I use first exercise to warmp up and will develop more the second and thir technique. This way I compensate it.

As you add more techniques (3 exercises per technique is perfect for me now) I will assign them to other different days.

I don´t know if this all sounds stupid, but I think it will do for me. Don´t want you to think I´m not following your advices, I really do... and I have come across this method I have explained after playing a week and see what suits better for me. Every guitarrist is a kind on his own smile.gif.

What do you think about it pedja?.

Thanks a lot for all the effort,
HexDump.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 12 2008, 07:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sami @ Oct 12 2008, 08:40 AM) *
Haha aww i havent gotten in yet! hopefully ill be in next fall though biggrin.gif

oh i have a question, when doing the 5 string major sweep i have a problem rolling my middle finger so that it is clean, should my whole hand be moving while i am rolling? or should most of the movement come from my arm?

Which example are you relating to Sami ? Could you point that out first ?
Thanks

QUOTE (HexDump @ Oct 12 2008, 04:10 PM) *
Hi again,

Well pedja I will try to explain what I´m trying to do in my practice schedule. I´m going to modify yours in a slight way. I have been checking that it is difficult for me to do a lot of exercises in little time. For example 15 exercises in 2 hours. Yes I know it is as easy as just doing each exersice the needed number of minutes, but it feels to me like not getting the most of it.

What I´m going to do is the following:

Now we have 5 techniques with exercises. I will take 3 techniques per day. I will spread them in 1:30 hours (half an hour for each tenchinque and 10 minutes per exercise). And I will change the starting technique in each session. Example if day 1 I selected alternate picking, sweep and legato and played them in this orther, wednesday I will start with sweep, next time with legato, etc.... Why this? because I don´t have time to warm up, and this way I use first exercise to warmp up and will develop more the second and thir technique. This way I compensate it.

As you add more techniques (3 exercises per technique is perfect for me now) I will assign them to other different days.

I don´t know if this all sounds stupid, but I think it will do for me. Don´t want you to think I´m not following your advices, I really do... and I have come across this method I have explained after playing a week and see what suits better for me. Every guitarrist is a kind on his own smile.gif.

What do you think about it pedja?.

Thanks a lot for all the effort,
HexDump.

Hi HexDump

Your way sounds great. As I said there is a lot of work to be done, its up to you how you will divide your practice time. I agree you need more time for each area but the problem lies in 1 hour 30 minutes. It will gain you improvement but not as much as if you practiced 3 or 4 hours in the same manner.
I hope this makes sense.
I tried to give you all these areas + exercises in those 2 hours. That's why it feels too fast . If you focus on 1, 2 or 3 areas it will go much slower.
So pick your priorities and stick with it.
That is the best advice I can give you right now.

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Nov 13 2008, 03:48 AM
Instructor
Its been a month almost guys.

As I promised there will be some surprise soon.

Here is one video of me doing one of the alternate picking exercises.

Here is the link if you want to leave comments and rate it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Svh4M1N9P0
This one is 3 note per string pattern in C major.

I did it in 3 tempos - slow. medium and fast.
I am not Paul Gilbert so don't expect speed of lighting or anything smile.gif
This is great warm up for me and I love doing this as a drill like many other exercises in this thread.
I am sure you can play this even faster then I did - the goal is to play it clean and accurate. Notice that I used clean sound on purpose - if you get it to sound accurate on clean switching to distortion will be much easier in my opinion smile.gif

There will be more coming soon. My upload is too slow smile.gif

Enjoy the tab in PDF and video.

This post has been edited by Pedja Simovic: Nov 13 2008, 03:53 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Exercise_6.pdf ( 90.17K ) Number of downloads: 95

--------------------

+Quote Post
BMcG
Nov 13 2008, 03:42 PM
GMC:er
Pedja,

Thanks so much for posting these exercises, and creating this space for us to discuss them. I've been doing several of them now for a week or so, and am really enjoying it. I'll keep you posted on progress. For the three alternate picking exercises, I'm currently at 16th notes at 96BPM for exercises 1&2, and 100BPM for exercise 3. I'm currently focusing mostly on ap, legato, economy, and starting to introduce sweeping. I play mostly funk, jazz, and blues, so I'm not sure how much I'll get into tapping, etc., but maybe if I progress enough with the other stuff. I'm probably getting an average of 2 hours per day in on these exercises, and then an hour or two on other things.

Thanks SO much!
_Bryan

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Nov 13 2008, 04:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (BMcG @ Nov 13 2008, 03:42 PM) *
Pedja,

Thanks so much for posting these exercises, and creating this space for us to discuss them. I've been doing several of them now for a week or so, and am really enjoying it. I'll keep you posted on progress. For the three alternate picking exercises, I'm currently at 16th notes at 96BPM for exercises 1&2, and 100BPM for exercise 3. I'm currently focusing mostly on ap, legato, economy, and starting to introduce sweeping. I play mostly funk, jazz, and blues, so I'm not sure how much I'll get into tapping, etc., but maybe if I progress enough with the other stuff. I'm probably getting an average of 2 hours per day in on these exercises, and then an hour or two on other things.

Thanks SO much!
_Bryan

Bryan,

Just by reading what you are doing you made everything I did so far in this thread worth it!

Keep up the good work. Sounds like you are doing awesome work.

I will post new videos with exercises soon on youtube and embed it here on this thread.

Glad you are improving - keep me posted of everything !

All the best,

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:46 PM