Remaking My Guitar, ...woah! Another one of these!
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 5 2008, 11:33 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey there everyone.

Due to the latest trend on GMC of re-painting and re-making guitars (scalloping necks etc), I became encouraged to start my own little project.

In some years I want to build my own guitar from scratch, but I don't really have the money for that now, I believe. So that will have to wait some years.

What I'll be doing for now is just to remake my very first guitar, which is/was a Hohner Stratocaster Copy, which I haven't used for many, many years. It has just been in the closet collecting dust.

I don't know what this project will end up with, but it doesn't really matter - the guitar almost couldn't get any worse.

Anyways: Here is my starting point... feel free to laugh, but please don't comment too much. laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
JeroenKole
Aug 5 2008, 11:38 PM
GMC:er
What are you going to change/remake? smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (JeroenKole @ Aug 6 2008, 12:38 AM) *
What are you going to change/remake? smile.gif

I have no idea! laugh.gif

Going to take it all apart now, then sand, get all paint of etc... then we'll see where it takes me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Déjà vu
I wanted to do that to my Squier! But, I chickened out tongue.gif ! I wanted to put fake leopard fur around the body, A miniature 8 ball around the the whammy bar, and a miniature siren on the neck over the strings. I don't know why... But, I thought it would have been pretty ridiculous. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
superize
Aug 5 2008, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Maybe i will try to do something with my old guitar

As you said it cant get any worse

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 5 2008, 11:42 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (superize @ Aug 6 2008, 12:40 AM) *
Maybe i will try to do something with my old guitar

As you said it cant get any worse

Exactly! And it may very well be a good learning.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JeroenKole
Aug 5 2008, 11:42 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 6 2008, 12:38 AM) *
I have no idea! laugh.gif

Going to take it all apart now, then sand, get all paint of etc... then we'll see where it takes me.

Just a quick advice, sanding the paint of gives a lot of mess. And if it is cheap paint you can probably remove the top layer by just chipping it of with a knife. There are special knives for that and they are actually pretty cheap. The ones that you use to cut from you and generally use to remove paint rests on the wall, and tape from the window.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 6 2008, 12:02 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (JeroenKole @ Aug 6 2008, 12:42 AM) *
Just a quick advice, sanding the paint of gives a lot of mess. And if it is cheap paint you can probably remove the top layer by just chipping it of with a knife. There are special knives for that and they are actually pretty cheap. The ones that you use to cut from you and generally use to remove paint rests on the wall, and tape from the window.

Thanks for the advice. I'll see to it tomorrow - it's in the middle of the night now, so I'm only going to take the guitar apart now, then take the next step tomorrow.

Okay, guys! I'm sitting here with something I don't really know what is and what it is used to. Could someone explain this:

Oh, and look at the difference in colour on the pick guard... HAHAHA!

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Aug 6 2008, 12:04 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
JeroenKole
Aug 6 2008, 12:04 AM
I believe that is used to adjust the thruss rod. But i'm not sure myself :/

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 6 2008, 12:10 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (JeroenKole @ Aug 6 2008, 01:04 AM) *
I believe that is used to adjust the thruss rod. But i'm not sure myself :/

I thought the truss rod was the one at the other end of the guitar.

And what about the whole next to the adjuster? What is that for? There was nothing in there at all.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JeroenKole
Aug 6 2008, 12:13 AM
That hole is very important. At least, in the manufacturing department. They put a hook through that hole when the guitar changes departments and when it is being spray painted.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 6 2008, 12:16 AM
Learning Rock Star
laugh.gif

Cool!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 6 2008, 10:18 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (JeroenKole @ Aug 6 2008, 01:13 AM) *
That hole is very important. At least, in the manufacturing department. They put a hook through that hole when the guitar changes departments and when it is being spray painted.

Thats a interesting information to know smile.gif I didn't know that , makes perfect sense though..
Looks like your having a lot of fun Caelumamittendum, but what are you plans for guitar after you strip it down ? Painting , changing parts etc ?

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Aug 6 2008, 10:18 AM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
USAMAN
Aug 6 2008, 10:24 AM
I believe thats a micro tilt....
fender use to use them. Google it.

--------------------
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 6 2008, 11:34 AM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks, USAMAN.

I googled it and you were right.

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Aug 6 2008, 11:18 AM) *
Thats a interesting information to know smile.gif I didn't know that , makes perfect sense though..
Looks like your having a lot of fun Caelumamittendum, but what are you plans for guitar after you strip it down ? Painting , changing parts etc ?

I have no real plan for now, that's the fun of it laugh.gif

I will strip it down - already got the front side done - then I will probable re-paint it in some funky way and maybe install new pick ups. I never realised there was place for humbuckers underneath the pick guard, because it has always just had single coils. So I might just get some nick humbuckers and a middle single coil or something. Besides that I will also scallop the neck. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 6 2008, 11:55 AM
Instructor
Do HSH per example,scallop the whole neck,
new painting and finish of course.
Good thing is you don't play this guitar
so you can really experiment on it,
it's gonna be fun I can tell. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 6 2008, 12:17 PM
Learning Rock Star
Yeah, I was thinking HSH or HSS. Not sure yet though.

I'm going to scallop the whole neck, yeah and new painting and finish.

And yes, that is exactly why I chose this guitar. It may bring new life to it. And besides, if I like the scalloped neck I could do it on one of my other guitars. And to add to that, buying some nice pick ups will last for a long time. If I one day decide to do a guitar completely from scratch, I could use the pick ups in that.

Getting the paint of is kinda tough though.

Does any of you guys know how to adjust the micro-tilt? And could you give a thorough explanation?

So, I got the paint of the front body. Next step will be the back and then the sides and all.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Aug 6 2008, 12:17 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 6 2008, 12:42 PM
Instructor
I wanted to suggest maybe without pickguard this time
but yeah,there are holes between pickups. dry.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 6 2008, 12:44 PM
Learning Rock Star
Yes, I was thinking about having it without the pick guard. Will see what I can do about that smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 6 2008, 01:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Aug 6 2008, 01:10 AM) *
I thought the truss rod was the one at the other end of the guitar.

And what about the whole next to the adjuster? What is that for? There was nothing in there at all.

Hey man, congratulations on your project, the guitar looks very nicely sanded! smile.gif

Any ideas about the paint? Maybe some patterns, like for example I watched a nice trick on discovery biker episodes when they put women stockings on wood and paint over them, and then when they put them off you have like a great net pattern smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 01:23 AM