Which Reverb Do I Choose
Timmez
Aug 15 2016, 02:57 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hello guys,

I have a reverb with lots of different reverb.
Spring, plate, hall.
Is there a sort of guudance which reverb is use for which style of music?

Greet tim

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Aug 15 2016, 03:04 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I'd love some info on this too, great question!

I've been meaning to watch this video, but haven't gotten to it yet:

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by yoncopin: Aug 15 2016, 03:05 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 15 2016, 10:18 PM
GMC Founder
There are lots of different reverb sounds within the types you mentioned - so it's hard to say something generic about them. But I will try to anyway:

I associate spring reverb with more vintage types of sound, whereas I will use hall and plate reverbs for more modern sounds as well.

However there really are no such strict rules - what really matters is how the reverb settings/type you have chosen complements the rest of your sound. So to me it is mostly a matter of EQ.

If I have got a fairly bright lead sound - sometimes a warmer (rich in bass/mids) reverb tail is what makes it come to life.

The opposite is also true - if I start of with a warm/wide sound - I generally need the reverb to be really bright (think treble!).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 15 2016, 10:57 PM
GMC:er
If you're in the learning curve, stick with hall reverb for a while and experiment/get familiar with the controls. There are no rules to be honest but to me hall type reverb is the safest to use.

Kris's comments are solid, focus listening on the tail (length of reverberation) inside the song or backing track preferable on a recorded track to match the ambiance balance.

A common mistake beginners make is adding to much of the effect as it sounds so cool while adjusting smile.gif keep in mind just because an effect is there it doesn't have to be obvious inside a song.

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Aug 16 2016, 01:25 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
These are good tips, thanks guys. I had settled on using mostly hall reverbs. Funny enough I inferred that they were a good starting point because I discovered that's what is built into most amps. I figured they would give you the most "vanilla" sound baked in. I'll have to pay more attention to the bright/dark balance next. I usually only fiddle with the Mix parameter, because I didn't know some of the guidelines for the other knobs. I sometimes wonder if I use too little reverb/delay, a lot of default patches are usually soaked in those effects.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 16 2016, 05:23 PM
Instructor
Great suggestiosn here. I would only like that the reverb choice is mostly a matter of the rest of your mix. You need to check if particular type of reverb does cut through the mix, without taking much of a space for other instruments - in other words a reverb that can be heard but that doesn't lay over other track making them sound blurry etc.

Usually I go for Mertay's suggestion - hall type is what I start to work with, adjusting room size and reverb length. If I can't get what I expect, I start to use different type of reverb - plate or slapback kind of.

Keep in mind that different reverbs behave like different amps. They do have individual color, even if you launch the same "hall type" on two different plug-ins and you set similar values of most common parameters.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 19 2016, 01:36 AM
GMC:er
A good bit of experimentation is in order from the sound of it. smile.gif Hall reverb is always a good place to start as it has a bigger "Tail" than some shorter reverbs. I really dig a good ROOM reverb. It does give things a retro 80's vibe as folks used to stick their big marshall stack in the main drum room (the biggest recording room in a studio typically) and record guitars there. This gives a very short delay type of effect than makes the leads stick out in a mix. You gotta be careful though or it's easy to overdue it. In the end it comes down to your ears. Try each type of reverb available to you and then start tweaking the parameters one by one from zero to max. Once you are done, you will have a good idea of what sorts of sounds match well with your playing smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Aug 16 2016, 08:25 AM) *
These are good tips, thanks guys. I had settled on using mostly hall reverbs. Funny enough I inferred that they were a good starting point because I discovered that's what is built into most amps. I figured they would give you the most "vanilla" sound baked in. I'll have to pay more attention to the bright/dark balance next. I usually only fiddle with the Mix parameter, because I didn't know some of the guidelines for the other knobs. I sometimes wonder if I use too little reverb/delay, a lot of default patches are usually soaked in those effects.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:51 AM