4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Kemper Questions
yoncopin
Oct 9 2016, 11:09 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Wyverex @ Oct 9 2016, 03:21 AM) *
I've been down that route over the last weeks, compared an AX8 with a Helix and a Kemper (although the Kemper only for a few hours, too few to make a final judgement call) because I was looking a for an all-in-one solution. And in the end my choice fell on the Helix. Sound is always subjective but let's be honest, you can get great sounds out of each of those devices. So it's about the features. And the Helix wins hands down for me. Multiple inputs (one passive, one active, one mic), 4 FX send/return paths, multi-amp setup, USB Audio-Interface, MIDI Controller, Expression Pedal, godly usability that just makes you think what the AX8 and Kemper smoked when they designed their UIs. Heck, you can run a guitar, a bass and a mic in parallel with effects (to a certain degree limited by DSP power). It's my main device now and I'm very happy with it. Even thinking about selling my Mini Rectifier now rolleyes.gif

I had the same experience and settled on a Helix for the same reasons. These three units all sound great, the routing, features and interface are what set the Helix apart for me. I've been building lots of my own pedals to add my own uniqueness to the base amps and effects. One thing I've noticed in doing that is the analog stuff is definitely noisier than the digital. I love the Helix, I resisted upgrading for a while because of the cost but would definitely do it again.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 10 2016, 08:19 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
so what does the kemper have in terms of inputs?
I assume it will connect to a pc easy enough and has an fx loop?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 10 2016, 08:46 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (bleez @ Oct 10 2016, 09:19 AM) *

Yes - the Kemper has all you need in a studio environment. Several different programmable physical outputs and digital out (stereo). Stereo FX loop which you can use with your old stomp boxes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom51
Oct 10 2016, 08:55 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (bleez @ Oct 10 2016, 07:19 AM) *

Some great tutorial about the above and more things from Kemper I just watched:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fn3iXGFm8o...ynl&index=3

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 12 2016, 01:00 PM
GMC:er
I'm all for being able to edit with a software app and drag / drop to build patches so I've always appreciated the line 6 software for managing the wads of bits/pedals etc. Also, glad that the Eleven Rack has a good visual software editor smile.gif Some third party folks have tried to make one for Kemper but last I heard, Kemper didn't have one of their own which seemed a bit odd as nearly every device with a USB port seems to have a software interface to make patches easy and quick to build. Kris has mentioned that the interface is pretty easy to use on the Kemper as it's just not as complicated as the AXE fx or Helix in terms of routing etc. I'm really glad I don't have to edit on that little orange mini screen on the 11 rack though! I had my ipad set as a display so I could could build patches using a touch screen on the 11 which was pretty handy smile.gif

Touchscreen Control of Eleven Rack Via iPad

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 30 2016, 09:18 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
ordered a Kemper ph34r.gif
a big purchase for me tbh so I hope it's going to be as good as I imagine cool.gif Not got a delivery date as the white model is on a preorder but I like the white one as it looks more 'original series start trek' so I dont mind hanging on a bit longer for it.
I need to get better at playing to justify this cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 30 2016, 10:06 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (bleez @ Oct 30 2016, 10:18 PM) *

hehe what a lovely feeling!

Congrats. I don't think many people at all are dissapointed with it once they understand the unit - but do expect a bit of a learning curve as it's obvioulsy quite different from a tube amp.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Oct 30 2016, 10:21 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Oct 30 2016, 08:18 PM) *
I like the white one as it looks more 'original series start trek' .

biggrin.gif super congrats!

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 30 2016, 10:46 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Oct 30 2016, 10:06 PM) *
hehe what a lovely feeling!

Congrats. I don't think many people at all are dissapointed with it once they understand the unit - but do expect a bit of a learning curve as it's obvioulsy quite different from a tube amp.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Oct 30 2016, 10:21 PM) *
biggrin.gif super congrats!

Thanks guys. Consider this a heads up as Im sure I'll be bugging both of you for tips when it arrives biggrin.gif Im going to do my best to learn how to get the best out of it.
Im super stoked. Cant wait to try out some vintage style profiles from amps Ive no business plugging in to!

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Oct 30 2016, 11:12 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (bleez @ Oct 30 2016, 04:18 PM) *
ordered a Kemper

I felt the same way when I ordered the Helix, like I didn't deserve it smile.gif You do man, you play really great. Use it to drive yourself forward with enthusiasm for your new kit.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 31 2016, 06:05 AM
SUPER CONGRATS!! You are actually a "Kemper Guy" from what I have learned about you. I mean that in a good way of course. smile.gif You appreciate classic guitars and classic amps, the Kemper is as close as you can get to the actual sound of an actual amp with an actual cab, that I've ever heard. The AXE is AMAZING and I"m more of an AXE guy as I"m all about the software control/click on the computer screen, drag and drop, massive fx ability, etc, but for the purist, the KEMPER is Still the way to go IMHO. Even the more hardcore, corksniffing, Tube Only, Junkies, LOVE the Kemper. If can litterally sound like ANY amp and cab ON EARTH. And you can download EVERY AMP/CAB ON EARTH FOR FREE from their web site. So it's like have an unlimited number of amps/cabs that really do sound like the amps/cabs they were meant to sound exactly like. That's the whole point of the KEMPER IMHO.

If you want a profile of a very rare, obscure, amp, you can find it, download it, and have it ready to record in just a few minutes. The AXE FX is a different beast, it has a pre set number of amps that it emulates and most folks tend to use one of the 5150 blocks as it's got wads of gain smile.gif So you may notice many AXE FX records sounding just a bit similar. They just have fewer amps to choose from and the best sounding ones get used by a lot of people. This isn't a bad thing per se, but I am starting to hear a lot of similarity in certain types of bands/tones that use the AXE.

I plan on buying an axe once everyone else is done with them and my students could afford one, when all the chips they use in them are no longer made smile.gif But I plan to try to use every amp that isn't being used to try to get my own tone. Sorta like the 11. EVERYONE playing heavy stuff starts drifting to the MESA IIC+ and you can't blame them, but I found myself using the various BOGNERS instead as everyone else was using the MESA. Then I bought an external preamp (THE MYASNIKOV CUSTOM SOLDANO CLONE in the fx loop) so as to have an option that other 11 Rack folks just didn't have.

Attached Image

That's my real point here, make it sound like you smile.gif

TOdd

QUOTE (bleez @ Oct 30 2016, 04:18 PM) *
ordered a Kemper ph34r.gif
a big purchase for me tbh so I hope it's going to be as good as I imagine cool.gif Not got a delivery date as the white model is on a preorder but I like the white one as it looks more 'original series start trek' so I dont mind hanging on a bit longer for it.

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 31 2016, 07:55 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (yoncopin @ Oct 30 2016, 11:12 PM) *
I felt the same way when I ordered the Helix, like I didn't deserve it smile.gif You do man, you play really great. Use it to drive yourself forward with enthusiasm for your new kit.

Thanks dude smile.gif just the prospect of it arriving has got me super motivated to play more!

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 31 2016, 06:05 AM) *
SUPER CONGRATS!! You are actually a "Kemper Guy" from what I have learned about you. I mean that in a good way of course. smile.gif You appreciate classic guitars and classic amps, the Kemper is as close as you can get to the actual sound of an actual amp with an actual cab, that I've ever heard.

Yeah, I have classy expensive tastes which are well above my station biggrin.gif
Ive been checking out some profiles for bluesbreakers, hiwatt 100's, Dr Z's ohmy.gif they all just sound amazing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Wyverex
Oct 31 2016, 09:09 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Congrats on your purchase! The Kemper just barely lost for me against the Helix (mostly due to connectivity reasons - but I guess it's not really about winning or losing since both are great units). I'm curious to know how you like it smile.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 31 2016, 10:21 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Wyverex @ Oct 31 2016, 09:09 AM) *
Congrats on your purchase! The Kemper just barely lost for me against the Helix (mostly due to connectivity reasons - but I guess it's not really about winning or losing since both are great units). I'm curious to know how you like it smile.gif

I like the helix a lot, It sounds brilliant. As you say, both are great pieces of kit. I'd be happy with either tbh. I think the draw of getting as close to vintage amps as Im ever likely to get just shaded the Kemper for me or maybe it was because it looks like it was designed in the 1960's to look futuristic smile.gif
Im sure Ive seen something similar in the movie 'The Andromeda strain' cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Nov 2 2016, 09:10 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
so it arrived! quicker than I expected.

Anyone know how I connect it to reaper, do I need an interface?
I get the impression I cant just use the usb connection like you do with an 11 rack or a pod.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 2 2016, 09:42 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Nov 2 2016, 08:10 PM) *
so it arrived! quicker than I expected.

Anyone know how I connect it to reaper, do I need an interface?
I get the impression I cant just use the usb connection like you do with an 11 rack or a pod.

That was quick laugh.gif

I'm sure Kris will help as soon as he's online but I feel this is one of those devices you benefit most from reading the boring manual biggrin.gif The controls seem nicely designed as I'm looking at photos so I'm sure you'll handle the basics quickly.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Nov 2 2016, 10:01 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Mertay @ Nov 2 2016, 09:42 PM) *
That was quick laugh.gif

I'm sure Kris will help as soon as he's online but I feel this is one of those devices you benefit most from reading the boring manual biggrin.gif The controls seem nicely designed as I'm looking at photos so I'm sure you'll handle the basics quickly.

yeah, the manual I got with it is not the best! I dont really know where to start.
Its way more complicated than anything Ive used so far. Took me about an hour just to get the O/S updated rolleyes.gif
Ive got SO much to learn with this. I need an idiots guide biggrin.gif
Played a few of the basic rigs, some of the cleans sounded really nice but the more distorted ones seem too loud and get muddy when you play single notes, Im sure I'll find my way around that at some point.

Ive never owned anything with so many lights biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 3 2016, 07:36 AM
GMC Founder
Quick reply: you cant use usb it is not an ouput. Use any of the other outputs (they are labeled as such)

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Nov 3 2016, 09:32 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
cool. Im thinking about a scarlett focusrite. Probably the 2i2. Although the 6i6 seems to have SPDIF connections at the back, dunno yet if I need those.
basically it would be - guitar > kemper > focusrite 2i2 / 6i6 > PC ( reaper ). Mainly I'll be using h/phones but maybe getting monitors in the future.
If anything about that looks wrong, let me know smile.gif
I can pickup the focusrite next week, no rush as I have a hefty learning curve to get a handle on.

Some of the clean profiles Ive had a quick play through have sounded amazing though. Ive been really impressed so far. Its an awesome beast of thing biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by bleez: Nov 3 2016, 09:38 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 3 2016, 01:26 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Congratulations Scott mate, nothing like new gear and that's a mighty fine piece of kit smile.gif

You've got my GAS going now laugh.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:38 AM