> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

161 Pages V  « < 112 113 114 115 116 > »   
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 13 2020, 04:34 PM
Instructor
I always wanted to say "Daily practise". Thanks mate.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 14 2020, 02:54 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
You're very welcome my friend wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 14 2020, 03:44 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 14 2020, 10:54 AM) *
You're very welcome my friend wink.gif

smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 16 2020, 10:29 PM
Hello Gab,

Okay, I've now completed all Quick Licks to date, there are seven waiting to be judged by Todd so I'm now fully back on my 30 Blues riffs lesson and timing practise, with one Quick Lick per week and one Bootcamp exercise at a time. Bootcamp is much stricter than Quick Licks so I'll just spend a few minutes a day on that.

Cheers buddy and thank you for your patience.

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 17 2020, 04:05 PM
Instructor
Welcome back mate!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 17 2020, 08:37 PM
I never really left you buddy wub.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 17 2020, 08:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 17 2020, 04:37 PM) *
I never really left you buddy wub.gif

just kidding!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 17 2020, 08:55 PM
Me too laugh.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 19 2020, 03:42 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 17 2020, 04:55 PM) *
Me too laugh.gif

tongue.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 24 2020, 10:01 PM
Hello Gab

Just letting you know, I'm off tomorrow to see this https://www.storyofguitarheroes.com/ at Weymouth pavillion, it's a four hour drive so we are staying at a hotel and having a day out on Sunday.

I'm working on the 30 riffs, I haven't got much further than before I started catching up on Quick Licks, it's the chordal work that I'm struggling with, I guess it's a whole different skill to solo stuff, a whole new lot of muscle coordination to develop. It's just a matter off effort and time. I'll get there wink.gif

Speak soon buddy.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Feb 5 2020, 04:29 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 29 2020, 09:43 PM
Hello Gab,

Okay, further to the above post, I have finally made some progress on the chordal section of the Blues Riffs lesson, albeit a tiny bit of progress. I am convinced it was a mindset issue, ie: Don't think I can play chords so I never will. This was making me stop after a few minutes and noodle around mad.gif

Anyway, I've now actually got them into my fingers but very very slowly but they are actually doing what they are told wink.gif

The SRV section is still quite messy and bars 24-29 don't feel natural to me at all yet.

Trust me, I am working, even if I don't post here every day. Posting time is playing time wink.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 31 2020, 10:03 PM
Hello buddy,

Further to my previous messages above, It's my wife's birthday on Sunday, tomorrow we are going to Cambridge, coming back on Monday, on her birthday we are going to her favourite restaurant https://www.rockers-steakhouse.co.uk/ .

Speak soon

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 1 2020, 10:53 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Thanks for the updates! That Rocker Steakhouse seems VERY promising!!! smile.gif

I was thinking... what about adding this lesson to your diary practice, in order to alternate between rhythm and lead?

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/30-Blues-Greats/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 1 2020, 11:13 PM
Thanks buddy, I'll look into it and see if I can find a way to fit it into my DAILY practise. I've tried bottle neck before but gave up, I was probably expecting too much too soon which was the old me so I'll give it a go. I know I haven't been concentrating on the 30 riffs lately but I'm back on it now and enjoying my practise whatever I'm doing so it's all good.

Cheers buddy.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 4 2020, 09:44 PM
Hello Gab,

Update to my post above, WOW, I tried it tonight, the bottleneck is soooooo hard, then I looked and it's a level 6 lesson blink.gif

I'll try it some more but it may be out of my league at the moment but I will put it into my DAILY practise for a while.

I've made some progress on the chordal section (bars 30-33) which is moving forward but like a snail. I'll keep plugging away Gab, I'm really going to knuckle down again now, also Quick Licks has finished so that's one less thing to do. I was a bit upset because I worked bloody hard to catch up on about a year's worth (50 licks) so that I was on top of them and only needed to do one a week, then they go and stop sad.gif Had I known I would have just plodded on doing one a week rather than neglect my work with you to catch up with them. Que sera sera.

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Feb 4 2020, 10:05 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 5 2020, 10:03 PM
Hello Gab,

Further to my post above, I have discovered something that hasn't been helping my progress. My brain must be wired in a strange way. As discussed a while back, we decided to try to get the first bars of the 30 riffs up to full speed whilst working on new bars at a much lower speed, for some reason, and I probably need to ask a psychologist "why?", it has made it harder for me. Tonight I played everything I know at 50% and worked my way up to 50% on the newer chordal bars and made a big jump in progress, then played all that I know at 50% in one go. Maybe this is the way forward???? It wasn't perfect but it was better on the chordal work.

I'd be interested if you have any thoughts on this. I think I'll continue like this and I think I should get a recording to you within a week of the first 33 bars, maybe more but only at 50%. It seems that trying to get some to 100% is a challenge that is affecting the newer work on later bars if that makes sense.

So my plan of attack is to learn the whole thing up to 50% (which should be, if my theory is correct, quicker than trying to get early stages up to 100%) and then develop speed. Obviously if I feel that speed is coming naturally in certain areas I will develop that but I don't think I should push it too hard. That way will make certain things become natural.

One possible reason for it is that maybe I'm trying to push the speed before being totally comfortable/familiar with the things I'm trying to speed up. I do still have a tendency to try to rush things but more and more each day I realise that it actually slows progress down.

Also, that lesson you said to try and add to my DAILY practise is very hard for me, maybe this might help instead https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/SRV-Chordal-Licks/

Please let me know, I had the best fun so far tonight with the 30 riffs lesson, I had a big smile on my face, it was getting to be a struggle if I'm honest..

Every day we discover something about ourselves eh?

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Feb 6 2020, 08:26 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 7 2020, 04:22 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Thanks for the updates and thanks for the "Daily Practise" message. You are a GREAT teacher. smile.gif

About your question, I can only say that this is different for each person, so you need to find out what's the best way for you. I can share my own experience, but I've been giving guitar lessons for more than 20 years and I can assure that each student reacts different to exercises.

In my case, the secret has been to PRACTICE A LOT. There are some tricks like setting metronome at higher speeds to then feel comfortable at slower but the key is to make the things become natural (as Vai says, make them a second nature), and I just can achieve it by practicing the more I can.

I've just read Zakk's tips and I like how simple but real these are:

5. Start out slow and easy
“Whether it’s Gary Moore, Paul Gilbert, Michael Schenker, Rusty Cooley or any of the players that we know who have insane technique, they’ll all tell you the same thing — always start slow. The same is true of warming up, especially if your hands are cold.

6. Clock it
“A metronome is always a perfect point of reference, because you can see if your bench press is getting bigger. Even if you’re only putting two pounds more weight on the bar, it’s like, ‘Oh, man! That’s an achievement.’

“Pretty much any serious player will tell you that a metronome is essential for honing a technique, because it objectively gauges your speed and accuracy. Even if it’s only just a smidgen faster but you’re playing it clean, that’s a win in my book.”

7. Play it again
“Repetition is the mother of skill … always. Is it boring? Yeah, it can be boring, but if you want results, you gotta deal with it. And once you start seeing those results and start playing better, it’s the coolest thing in the world.”

8. Practice at every opportunity
“Without a doubt. Even if you can only get 10 minutes in today, you’ll still be 10 minutes better than you were yesterday. So cram in as much as you can, and do it consistently.”

Full article: https://www.guitarworld.com/lessons/zakk-wy...asic-to-brewtal

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 7 2020, 08:56 PM
Thank you Gab,

Sorry for the long reply below, it seemed the best way to do it unsure.gif

Hi mate! Thanks for the updates and thanks for the "Daily Practise" message. You are a GREAT teacher. smile.gif

About your question, I can only say that this is different for each person, so you need to find out what's the best way for you. I can share my own experience, but I've been giving guitar lessons for more than 20 years and I can assure that each student reacts different to exercises.

Thanks Gab, it's very kind of you to say, you are a great teacher too, I have taught many over the years, I have my methods for getting messages across, as do you, but some students, as you know, need a different approach, I always say that a teacher learns how to teach a little more, with each new student.

In my case, the secret has been to PRACTICE A LOT. There are some tricks like setting metronome at higher speeds to then feel comfortable at slower but the key is to make the things become natural (as Vai says, make them a second nature), and I just can achieve it by practicing the more I can.

I think this is part of my problem, I try to push speed while still needing to look at the tab, this is all because I always feel that I'm letting my tutor down by taking too long but that actually slows me down in real terms. This is a trait bourne out of having one narcissistic parent, even at my age, it's hard to shake it off.

I've just read Zakk's tips and I like how simple but real these are:

5. Start out slow and easy
“Whether it’s Gary Moore, Paul Gilbert, Michael Schenker, Rusty Cooley or any of the players that we know who have insane technique, they’ll all tell you the same thing — always start slow. The same is true of warming up, especially if your hands are cold.

I agree 100%, unfortunately I don't always put into practise that which I know is the right thing to do. unsure.gif

6. Clock it
“A metronome is always a perfect point of reference, because you can see if your bench press is getting bigger. Even if you’re only putting two pounds more weight on the bar, it’s like, ‘Oh, man! That’s an achievement.’

“Pretty much any serious player will tell you that a metronome is essential for honing a technique, because it objectively gauges your speed and accuracy. Even if it’s only just a smidgen faster but you’re playing it clean, that’s a win in my book.”

I use the tempo adjustment in GP which is the same,........ isn't it?

7. Play it again
“Repetition is the mother of skill … always. Is it boring? Yeah, it can be boring, but if you want results, you gotta deal with it. And once you start seeing those results and start playing better, it’s the coolest thing in the world.”

I don't mind repetition wink.gif

8. Practice at every opportunity
“Without a doubt. Even if you can only get 10 minutes in today, you’ll still be 10 minutes better than you were yesterday. So cram in as much as you can, and do it consistently.”

There aren't many days I don't practise but when time is short I struggle to decide what to practise. I have so much that needs work rolleyes.gif

Full article: https://www.guitarworld.com/lessons/zakk-wy...asic-to-brewtal

That's great advice, not always easy to put into action, I will print that out and hang it in my practise area.

What did you think about my comment "Also, that lesson you said to try and add to my DAILY practise (https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/30-Blues-Greats/) is very hard for me, maybe this might help instead https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/SRV-Chordal-Licks/ "

Thank you for your help and apologies for being a tricky student, I'm one crazy train on the roller coaster of life laugh.gif

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Feb 12 2020, 11:12 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 12 2020, 02:14 PM
Hello Gab,

I'm going to have to try a new approach. I'm going to start afresh with the 30 Riffs lesson. I tried to play all that I "know" without the TAB last night and realised there was a lot I couldn't remember even in the early bars. Obviously this means I am not au fait with any of it and need to rely on the TAB.

I think it's because it is such a big piece to learn without much repetition that I'm taking on too much of it on all at once and this is becoming counter productive and demoralising. I'm going to master each bar at a time, adding the next bar only when thoroughly comfortable with the bar I'm working on. I feel that trying to learn new riffs very slowly, while trying to play some others at 100% speed, some at 75% speed and others at 50% and 40% is becoming very messy in my head, must be old age creeping in rolleyes.gif .

Also, that lesson you said to try and add to my DAILY practise (https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/30-Blues-Greats/) is very hard for me, maybe this might help instead https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/SRV-Chordal-Licks/

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Feb 13 2020, 01:07 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 19 2020, 09:11 PM
Hello Gab,

Further to the above message, this week and the immediately foreseeable future are going to be a struggle. I won't bore you with details but I am doing what I can when I can in both the 30 riffs and Todd's stuff.

I have decided that by the time I have completed the 30 riffs lesson, I want to be able to do it without thinking about it, it being fully internalized it and not have to look at the fretboard very much. I think this will be the best development all round. What do you think?

Do be expecting much though, at least for a couple of weeks, I'll be back full time when things settle down.

I also, without realising the impact at this current time, subscribed to Ben Higgins' ten day intense speed accelerator course on Facebook, it's only open to a limited amount of students and is free so I thought "What harm can it do?", I may have to pull out of that, I'll see how it goes, it might be just what I need it might not.

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Feb 20 2020, 02:54 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

161 Pages V  « < 112 113 114 115 116 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:00 PM