Amp Heads And Cabs
JesseJ
Jun 9 2012, 04:22 PM
GMC:er
Hi everybody at GMC smile.gif

I Have a Mesa Boogie mini rectifier and a mesa 2x12 cab . And I was wondering how it would sound if I were to play an orange tiny terror head through my mesa cab ? I checked and the tiny terror has a 8ohm out which matches my mesa cab . I have heard some people say that it sounds much better when you run a head through a cab of the same company . So does anybody hear Rub Heads and Cabs of different brands ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Never miss an opportunity to play
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 9 2012, 05:00 PM
Instructor
Does your cab include Celestion V30 speakers?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jun 9 2012, 07:08 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
It doesn't matter if the cab is by the same company. In fact, many manufacturers use cabs that are almost an exact copy of the Marshall 1960 cab. All that matters is the quality of the construction and the quality of the speakers. The Mesa cab you have now is top notch, you'll be hard pressed to find a better 212 cab.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Jun 9 2012, 09:25 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Jun 9 2012, 06:08 PM) *
It doesn't matter if the cab is by the same company. In fact, many manufacturers use cabs that are almost an exact copy of the Marshall 1960 cab. All that matters is the quality of the construction and the quality of the speakers. The Mesa cab you have now is top notch, you'll be hard pressed to find a better 212 cab.

+1

Especially when it comes to 2x12's. If you use a 2x12 for example an open back makes a WORLD of difference in bass depth and tonal characteristics. It adds a lot more 'headroom' that you otherwise would not have. That, wood, and quality speakers are the only things I would worry about in a cab of that size.

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 9 2012, 09:32 PM
MESA 2x12 cabs are pretty killer on their own and the ORANGE TINY TERROR is also pretty awesome. It's a custom combination but a Match made in Heaven smile.gif

Todd

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jun 9 2012, 09:50 PM
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Jun 9 2012, 02:08 PM) *

Agree to this as well. I run a Mesa head on a Marshall 1960s cab, I also have it mixed with GT12T-75 and V30s. I have no issues with it all other than I am glad I tossed the 2 V30s in the cab helped my tone a ton.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Jun 10 2012, 02:10 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 9 2012, 04:00 PM) *
Does your cab include Celestion V30 speakers?

Yup smile.gif You hit the nail on the head !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jun 10 2012, 01:22 PM
Can't add much more than everyone else has already mentioned. Mixing Heads and Cabs is not an issue. For example, I have an old '67 Selmer which I was running through the original 2x12 Cab (Fully enclosed) and it always sounded 'muddy' so I took the back off the cab to help. This ended up making it sound a little too 'thin' so I ended up cutting a new, undersized back for it to just act as a Baffle Board and this evened it out nicely, for larger places I use an extra 2x12 Closed Back Laney Cab which seems to be a great pairing.
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Jun 10 2012, 03:13 PM
Awesome you guys are such a big a help !! Thanks for all your input. All my questions got answered smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 02:42 PM