4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Question For Marcus Siepen, ...?
Kyle Logue
Mar 9 2008, 09:59 PM
Drum instructor
I'm sure there are a lot of people here on GMC that are interested to know how you made it.

How did you go from being just a guitarist, to being in a headlining band?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Mar 9 2008, 10:01 PM
GMC:er
Great question; I'd like to know that too.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 9 2008, 11:02 PM
Instructor
I would like to know too how and when did you start man if it is ok smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Mar 9 2008, 11:31 PM
I'd say it is mostly through contacts and a huge amount of luck, I don't know though, just my guess!

--------------------

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Mar 10 2008, 12:28 AM
man id love to know this too!!! sad.gif

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Mar 10 2008, 12:29 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Mar 9 2008, 11:31 PM) *
I'd say it is mostly through contacts and a huge amount of luck, I don't know though, just my guess!

AND hard work I guess wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 10 2008, 12:34 AM
And writing amazingly catchy and awesome songs helps smile.gif

Muris should be famous as well. All instructors on this site deserve success.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Mar 10 2008, 12:50 AM
Instructor
Luck? We're not talking Ashley Simpsons here.

It takes ALOT of hard work!

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Mar 10 2008, 12:50 AM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Mar 10 2008, 02:24 AM
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Mar 9 2008, 05:31 PM) *

its about hard work, dedication and love of the music. contacts and luck play a very small role.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Mar 10 2008, 02:32 AM
Only a few bands (excluding pop) are truly lucky. Metallica for example. They got famous basically overnight.

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Ibanez RG2550e

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Mar 10 2008, 02:52 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Mar 10 2008, 02:32 AM) *
Only a few bands (excluding pop) are truly lucky. Metallica for example. They got famous basically overnight.

I wouldnt say that..
Metallica slowly built up a HUGE fanbase in the 80ies, without a single video on MTV or much airplay. Then they got a break with the Black Album.

They played quite big arenas before the Black Album was released

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Mar 10 2008, 02:55 AM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Mar 10 2008, 02:59 AM
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Mar 9 2008, 08:52 PM) *
I wouldnt say that..
Metallica slowly built up a HUGE fanbase in the 80ies, without a single video on MTV or much airplay. Then they got a break with the Black Album.

They went from playing in clubs one day to touring in stadiums the next. I don't mean that literally of course, but they built up a huge fanbase after Kill 'em All. The Black Album was very commercialized, though, so that was when they got even bigger. But look at other early thrash acts like Megadeth, Exodus, etc. Metallica was insanely popular compared to them.

--------------------

Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Ibanez RG2550e

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Mar 10 2008, 03:07 AM
I think luck definately plays a huge role, you could say that it is all about hard work, to make things SOUND good, but I know of plenty of bands that work their butt off 24/7, are dedicated like none other, and get nowhere, but usually that is ok, because they just love music so much that being famous is just a plus. So I would say hard work is important, but has a minor role in becoming famous.

This post has been edited by shellshock1911: Mar 10 2008, 03:08 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Mar 10 2008, 03:13 AM
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Mar 10 2008, 03:07 AM) *
but I know of plenty of bands that work their butt off 24/7, are dedicated like none other, and get nowhere.

Well.. How'd you get to know them? wink.gif

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Mar 10 2008, 03:17 AM
If you want to be famous, you CAN be famous. It might require quitting your job and touring the country with some other bands. You might have to use your amp as a pillow and eat more than a few cans of beans; but you can make it through hard work. Sure, you could wait around and just hope that a record exectutive is at one of your shows and likes what he hears, but I would perfer the other option.

I just hope that I have the courage to do it some day.

This post has been edited by SLASH91: Mar 10 2008, 03:19 AM

--------------------

Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Ibanez RG2550e

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Mar 10 2008, 03:20 AM
QUOTE (Tjchep @ Mar 10 2008, 03:13 AM) *
Well.. How'd you get to know them? wink.gif

Meh, underground music scenes. I'm not a big fan of hardcore music but there are couple bands in my town at various venues that you can just feel how hard they are trying in their music to make a statement.

This post has been edited by shellshock1911: Mar 10 2008, 03:21 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Iron King
Mar 10 2008, 04:23 AM
I'm not sure if I consider luck to be a factor. Some bands may seem like they are over night superstars but, assuming they are any good, they spent countless hours practicing, writing and gigging with little recognition.

Of course there are always pop stars that just know the right people. They get songs written for them, have their voices changed by computers and sadly make millions of dollars... but you know what? I rather be a dirt poor true rocker than to be a marketed image like they are. I don't think any of us want their "luck"

A lot of bands that make it big do so through by being aggressive. Instead of hoping that a record company will sign them, they go out and get a contract.

That being said, just the other day I thought about how it would feel to be in a big band. I'd be very interested in knowing how Marcus got to where he is, and how he feels about it.

I can't even imagine the transition from first learning to play a few notes on guitar to becoming an internationally respected guitarist

+Quote Post
swingline
Mar 10 2008, 05:36 AM
I'd say without a doubt luck is a factor. Hard work is crucial but luck needs to be there for things to work. Now luck has diminished quite a bit due to myspace and such but luck is still necessary.

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Mar 10 2008, 01:44 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
QUOTE (Muris @ Mar 10 2008, 12:29 AM) *
AND hard work I guess wink.gif

Muris is a wise man wink.gif I guess what made us become the band that we are today is the fact that we shared a vision about what we wanted to achieve, and the will to work for it. We have not been this kind of overnight success that some of you guys talked about, we grew slowly but steadily with every album that we released. We always focused on our vision, we never compromised about this, thats the reason for example why the time between 2 BG albums is not really short. If it takes us 2 years to write 10 or 12 songs for a new album then we will take those 2 years to write them, we don't want only 2 or 3 good songs and fill the rest with weaker stuff just for the sake of releasing an album once a year. I am not saying that we were not lucky, a bit of luck might have been helpful too of course, but luck doesn't make a band last for 20 years in this business wink.gif We put a lot of work into our band, a lot of devotion, and most important, we LOVE what we are doing, we enjoy being in this band.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Mar 10 2008, 02:03 PM
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Mar 10 2008, 07:44 AM) *
Muris is a wise man wink.gif I guess what made us become the band that we are today is the fact that we shared a vision about what we wanted to achieve, and the will to work for it. We have not been this kind of overnight success that some of you guys talked about, we grew slowly but steadily with every album that we released. We always focused on our vision, we never compromised about this, thats the reason for example why the time between 2 BG albums is not really short. If it takes us 2 years to write 10 or 12 songs for a new album then we will take those 2 years to write them, we don't want only 2 or 3 good songs and fill the rest with weaker stuff just for the sake of releasing an album once a year. I am not saying that we were not lucky, a bit of luck might have been helpful too of course, but luck doesn't make a band last for 20 years in this business wink.gif We put a lot of work into our band, a lot of devotion, and most important, we LOVE what we are doing, we enjoy being in this band.

exactly. i don't believe in luck.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:42 AM