9 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
The Big Gmc Collab!, Everyone is invited
MirkoSchmidt
Aug 30 2010, 10:12 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Aug 21 2010, 12:48 AM) *
Here's my take

I did some planning and some improvising on it smile.gif

waahhaaa, thats sounds absolutly crazy! i llove it daniel!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maharzan
Aug 30 2010, 11:30 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
I gotta record what I have but my guitar is giving me troubles... sad.gif sad.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 30 2010, 03:39 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 30 2010, 10:06 AM) *
What a killer, wacky backing! Great job on that, very unexpected! I did a take over a small chunk in a pitch black room using my fret light guitar. Here is the video clip. I can post the track as well later if you decided to use it in the mix Let me know what you think smile.gif

Some very cool stuff in there Todd - please send the track, I need to fiddle around with the different takes for a while before I can determine what will work.

Also best is if you can send me a fairly unprocessed guitar track. Last time I had problems with your take in the mix - I think it was because the sound was "scooped". It works very well for the metal sound but a midrange poor sound is hard for me to fit in the mix.

QUOTE (Fre @ Aug 24 2010, 05:35 PM) *
Wooow, all those killer takes scare me off!
I think of trying it but I'll propably fail. I'm not a pro like you guys.
You have some hints/tricks to help? Should I use Minor scale?

Sorry I should of course have mentioned something about this!

You can try the following scales if you are using standard tuning.

B major / Ab minor / Ab minor pentatonic
you can also try
Eb minor / Eb minor pentatonic

If you are using Eb tuning (like me)

C major / A minor / A minor pentatonic
you can also try
E minor / E minor pentatonic

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Aug 30 2010, 04:45 PM
Instructor
nice take! that's a whacky guitar!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 30 2010, 10:45 PM
GMC:er
KRISTOPHER:
Thanks smile.gif I'll send the track today. Sorry about the massive "scoop", I typically do quite a bit of scooping out the mids as I do play a lot of metal. I didn't think how much of a pain it would be to mix in without any midrange. I'll "unscoop" this one and pull off as much processing as possible.

DANIEL:
Yeah it's a bit of a wacky instrument, It's a "Fretlight Guitar" It has LEDs built in to the frets. I lit up the Eb Minor Scale while I was soloing. Once you know your scales it's just a cool effect, but when learning it can be a handy tool smile.gif

HERE IS MY TAKE
*File starts at 0:00 and my take starts at 1:28 so it should lay in to your DAW and just work.
*Stereo Mp3 320kps
*No Delay or Reverb although I Have my mac farther back from the amp so it does sound like the room.
*Unscooped so there is actually some midrange
Attached File  Todd_BigCollab_Take1.mp3 ( 8.17MB ) Number of downloads: 283

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 3 2010, 02:28 AM

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 31 2010, 03:44 PM
Instructor
Great playing there, Todd... you've a very natural, relaxed legato style there... excellent !

Kris, we do not envy you in having to try and make one whole song out of all these crazy takes... but we know you'll deliver the goods as you always do !!!! biggrin.gif I'm really hoping loads of people have had a go at this, in particular GMC students... will be brilliant !

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Aug 31 2010, 04:06 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 30 2010, 05:45 PM) *
Yeah it's a bit of a wacky instrument, It's a "Fretlight Guita" It has LEDs built in to the frets. I lit up the Eb Minor Scale while I was soloing. Once you know your scales it's just a cool effect, but when learning it can be a handy tool smile.gif

So Todd, do you think that Fretlight guitar is any good? Or is more a gimmick than anything else?

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 31 2010, 04:41 PM
GMC Founder
OK we need more takes for this collab! Who is working on it?!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 1 2010, 02:58 AM
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Aug 31 2010, 11:06 AM) *
So Todd, do you think that Fretlight guitar is any good? Or is more a gimmick than anything else?

I must say I was skeptical at first and when I got it, it did need a setup. But I must say after using it for a bit I think it's an amazing teaching/learning tool. Some folks (mostly hard core purists, God bless'em) think it's "cheating" to use a tool like the fretlight. I'd say those folks should skip it. But I really wish this was around when I was first learning all my scales and the neck, it would have sped things up a bit.

if you are a visual learner, this kind of thing can be a big help especially at first. Also, they are working on software that will let me record a lesson, and the student goes to the web site and plugs in their guitar and the frets light up in sequence as to what I want them to play. Spiff smile.gif

To be completely open about it, I'm endorsed by Fretlight. But I went to them, not the other way around. I really wanted to see if the guitar was worth bothering with. I must say I'm convinced. Although it's NOT a stage or studio level pro guitar, it's a very handy tool that I have a lot of fun teaching and playing with.

Todd

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 31 2010, 10:44 AM) *
Great playing there, Todd... you've a very natural, relaxed legato style there... excellent !

Thanks smile.gif I went 180 degrees away from alternate picking the heck out of it as I am often tempted to do as I love to alternate pick. This is a really great collab and I can't wait to hear how it turns out! It's soooooo far outside normal with the contrasting polka/metal thing that it really strikes me as brilliant and or crazy, or both!

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 1 2010, 02:58 AM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 2 2010, 08:33 PM
Instructor
I was really busy this month with gigs and everything, but I managed to work on a short take. Didn't have a clear idea on what to play, so I hope this short improvisation will be cool. I must confess it was hard for me to play over the whole track cause the chords changed in a very strange way, so I've chosen the "easiest" part for me smile.gif The country part is great tho, but just didn't quite managed to play and blend all the parts effectively in the solo.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Kris_Big_GMC_Collab_Take___Milenkovic_Ivan__no_backing__.wav ( 58.77MB ) Number of downloads: 255

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Fre
Sep 2 2010, 08:53 PM
Learning Rock Star
@ Todd
Wow! That guitar looks really nice, just like your playing!
But, would the LED's have a cooler effect without the computer lights behind them?
I mean if you turn a few degrees that the LED's are only surrounded by darkness?

@ Kris and Daniel
Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated.
I'll try to play something over the backing.
If I find something ok I'll record it (if I find some recording tools).

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Sep 2 2010, 11:43 PM
Instructor
here's mine huh.gif

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Lian_Gerbino__Big_Collab_with_bt.mp3 ( 769.9K ) Number of downloads: 355

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 2 2010, 11:59 PM
QUOTE (MirkoSchmidt @ Aug 30 2010, 05:12 AM) *

Daniel this is just KILLER! I have no idea where you come up with this stuff but it's just great. Your creativity and technique really shine here.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 3 2010, 02:30 AM
[quote name='Fre' date='Sep 2 2010, 03:53 PM' post='498073']
@ Todd
Wow! That guitar looks really nice, just like your playing!
But, would the LED's have a cooler effect without the computer lights behind them?
I mean if you turn a few degrees that the LED's are only surrounded by darkness?

I just turned off the main lights and left my coputer stuff on, but yeah, it would show up better with that stuff off. Good call smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 3 2010, 02:30 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 3 2010, 03:30 AM
QUOTE (Lian Gerbino @ Sep 2 2010, 06:43 PM) *
here's mine huh.gif

Love it smile.gif The intro is almost like a Mario Brothers game then gets really Evil. Well done!

Todd

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 3 2010, 12:03 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Lian Gerbino @ Sep 3 2010, 12:43 AM) *
here's mine huh.gif

Excellent Lian - this was perfect, I liked everything about it. The polka melody was spot on. Also The singing will provide a very cool and needed contrast to all the guitar work. Also I love the fact that there is both growling and clean in there - definitely my favorite type of singing! biggrin.gif Awesome!

Please send me the guitars-vocals-only file!

PS What lyrics do you sing? (I might have some on screen text in the coming video)

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 2 2010, 09:33 PM) *
I was really busy this month with gigs and everything, but I managed to work on a short take. Didn't have a clear idea on what to play, so I hope this short improvisation will be cool. I must confess it was hard for me to play over the whole track cause the chords changed in a very strange way, so I've chosen the "easiest" part for me smile.gif The country part is great tho, but just didn't quite managed to play and blend all the parts effectively in the solo.

Thanks a lot for your take Ivan - a lot of cool stuff to use here.

I have also got two killer takes from Marius Pop and Ben - I am very excited to get mixing now as we are starting to get a good amount of content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Sep 5 2010, 03:31 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hi Kris,
though I am intimidated (like most students, as it looks?) by the killer takes of the instructors I improvised a bit today and shot a video for the whole BT. There are quite a few mistakes, but maybe you can use some of the things I've done. Would be cool for sure!
Christian

This post has been edited by Gitarrero: Sep 5 2010, 03:44 PM

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 5 2010, 07:25 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Sep 5 2010, 04:31 PM) *
Hi Kris,
though I am intimidated (like most students, as it looks?) by the killer takes of the instructors I improvised a bit today and shot a video for the whole BT. There are quite a few mistakes, but maybe you can use some of the things I've done. Would be cool for sure!
Christian

Thanks so much for posting this Chris - I think you put your heart into this one and I am quite sure we will use parts of it. Also it was an excellent idea to record rhythm guitars - it's a very natural way to fit even more people in the tune.

So PLEASE PLEASE - if you are a student - give this collab a shot! We don't need flashy stuff just solid melodies or rhythm guitar - anything will do! You don't have anything to loose!

I have started mixing this but I am waiting for Lian's killer track as I think it will play an important role (can't get his melodies out of my head!)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Sep 6 2010, 01:26 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 2 2010, 08:33 PM) *

gush!!!! this is beyond awesome! you are an excellent player!

I really enjoyed the take,

so fluid and tasty

nice one!

Loved the syncopation

QUOTE (MirkoSchmidt @ Aug 30 2010, 10:12 AM) *

thanks Mirko! apreciate it!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 6 2010, 11:34 AM
Instructor
Yes... I agree with Kris.... students DO please get involved too... it's a brilliant way to give yourself a new challenge and also it reminds us all what guitar playing and music in general is all about - having fun, joining in with other players from different backgrounds/styles, inspiring each other...

Never feel anyone is better than you.. after all, when we all pick up our guitars.. we are all students and we never stop learning whether your name is Steve Vai or Yngwie.. we all have so much to learn and so much further to go !

Amazing playing Ivan, I really enjoyed that.... you've got some crazy left hand ideas and ability.. love it !!

QUOTE (Lian Gerbino @ Sep 2 2010, 11:43 PM) *
here's mine huh.gif

Love it, Lian... you'll definitely bring some attitude to the collab ! Great melodies too :-)

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:02 PM