Stainless Steel Strings Vs Nickel Wound
Darius Wave
Sep 19 2013, 11:53 AM
Instructor
Hey guys. Just wanted to share my thoughts after some strings experiments. For some time I was searching for a trick to brighten some of my dark sounding alder body guitar. First of all I changed the pickups...Indeed single coils with alnico magnets (especially Alnico 5) do add some nice, not harsh treble. But it was a first step. Still though some treble is missing so decided to try stainless steel strings and...I have to admit they realy add some extra amount of treble. Also I can confirm 2 popular, ofen mentioned aspects of stainless steel strings - they do feel more raw while doing slides and they do have stronger electro-magnetic field - more output. So those two step helped me do "un-muddy" the guitar which was basicly fat and even too warm/dark sounding.

What are Your expiriences with Stainless Steel strings? I'll only add that usually I'm a traditional nickel wound user wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 19 2013, 12:05 PM
Learning Rock Star
I don't think I have any experience with steel strings, but might be worth a go at some point to try it out. I came to think of this though from Dunlop:

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 19 2013, 12:12 PM
Instructor
Short comparisons like this are very good suggestions! Thanx for sharing Ben ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mertay
Sep 19 2013, 12:21 PM
GMC:er
Been a steel user for sometime now, main reason to switch from nickel was longer lifetime and extra magnetism.

For ones who want to experiment I recommend fender steel strings. Compared to ernie ball which I used for a long time they have a much closer feel and sound to nickel.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 19 2013, 12:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mertay @ Sep 19 2013, 11:21 AM) *
Been a steel user for sometime now, main reason to switch from nickel was longer lifetime and extra magnetism.

For ones who want to experiment I recommend fender steel strings. Compared to ernie ball which I used for a long time they have a much closer feel and sound to nickel.

Those are exactly the ones I'm testing now smile.gif but for nickel wound I prefer "Ernie's Balls" smile.gif

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 19 2013, 01:05 PM
Learning Rock Star
On the other end of the scale: chrome? Has anyone tried that?

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
mad
Sep 19 2013, 01:57 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
I tried different sets and brands but finally use elixier nanoweb strings (steel). For my 7string I'm going to use ernie balls cobalt as a test when changing strings next time.. will see.

Never tried chrome though..

This post has been edited by mad: Sep 19 2013, 01:57 PM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 19 2013, 10:44 PM
Instructor
I have to test the cobalts...haven't done it yet

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Sep 19 2013, 11:03 PM
Learning Rock Star
Does anyone else use Elixirs? They're coated strings, and I found that they last about 10 times longer and the price is only about 2 times a regular pack of Ernie Balls smile.gif I've been using them for about 6 months and they are fantastic smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 19 2013, 11:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Sep 19 2013, 10:03 PM) *
Does anyone else use Elixirs? They're coated strings, and I found that they last about 10 times longer and the price is only about 2 times a regular pack of Ernie Balls smile.gif I've been using them for about 6 months and they are fantastic smile.gif

I play pretty hard...I break strings before the stop to sound good so...with elixirs - I don't need a fresh tone from the broken string tongue.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:17 PM