Clean Sweeping + Sweeping Technique
Marc_Maiden
Mar 25 2009, 02:40 AM
GMC:er
hey guys...i just realized something!

my sweeps arent so clean...not as clean as i thought...well when it comes to arpeggios...

now i dont know if i have the right technique though,

when I am sweeing an arpeggio, say an E minor 5 string arpeggio that looks like this:

E|------------------------------7--12---7
B|-------------------------8--------------
G|---------------------9------------------
D|----------------9-----------------------
A|-----7-----10----------------------
E|----------------------------- --------

am i supposed to bar the D and G string?

thats what i have been doing, and want to make sure that is right...also, i noticed that i play arpeggios like that almost perfect sounding on the higher frets, i just have problems with lower ones...so do i bar the strings as i sweep? same with 6 string arpeggios?

or do people just not play arpeggios in this shape? i know there are other shapes (which i can play really well) its just this one and the lower end of the guitar that gives me trouble

any tips on how to clean it up?

i start slow, going slow i am fine...i guess i have to dust off the metronome dont i?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 25 2009, 02:44 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Mar 25 2009, 02:40 AM) *
hey guys...i just realized something!

my sweeps arent so clean...not as clean as i thought...well when it comes to arpeggios...

now i dont know if i have the right technique though,

when I am sweeing an arpeggio, say an E minor 5 string arpeggio that looks like this:

E|------------------------------7--12---7
B|-------------------------8--------------
G|---------------------9------------------
D|----------------9-----------------------
A|-----7-----10----------------------
E|----------------------------- --------

am i supposed to bar the D and G string?

thats what i have been doing, and want to make sure that is right...also, i noticed that i play arpeggios like that almost perfect sounding on the higher frets, i just have problems with lower ones...so do i bar the strings as i sweep? same with 6 string arpeggios?

or do people just not play arpeggios in this shape? i know there are other shapes (which i can play really well) its just this one and the lower end of the guitar that gives me trouble

any tips on how to clean it up?

i start slow, going slow i am fine...i guess i have to dust off the metronome dont i?

That is actually my favorite minor shape to sweep. It is harder to sweep cleanly on the lower frets...at least for me. smile.gif

I think you are right about the metronome though....dust if off and get some batteries. tongue.gif

You have the fingering correct as well....at least that is the fingering I use.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by lcsdds: Mar 25 2009, 02:46 AM

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 25 2009, 05:23 AM
Instructor
My favorite shape as well smile.gif I bar those 2 strings. Whenever you have 2 strings one after another on the same fret then you have to bar. There are some extreme situations where you don't bar and also alternate pick the notes but that's another topic.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Canis
Mar 25 2009, 03:24 PM
Learning Rock Star
I've been wondering about this as well! Thanks ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 25 2009, 09:14 PM
Instructor
You don't bar but do finger rolling technique instead !
You use one finger (in that case 3rd finger) and roll the fingertip as you go to lower or higher string !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 26 2009, 02:00 AM
Instructor
But that's what we call the "bar" Pedja (bar across two strings). You said eaxactly how I would play it and I call that thing "bar". If there is another name then I am sorry smile.gif I just don't want to confuse anybody here because I said "bar". I meant BAR across 2 strings. Of course I called the bar "the one with the 3rd finger" not with the 1st one like when you hold the whole chord.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Mar 26 2009, 02:12 AM
Learning Tone Master
I roll my finger of for this kind of sweep, just barring it isn't clean enough!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 26 2009, 02:30 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Mar 26 2009, 02:00 AM) *
But that's what we call the "bar" Pedja (bar across two strings). You said eaxactly how I would play it and I call that thing "bar". If there is another name then I am sorry smile.gif I just don't want to confuse anybody here because I said "bar". I meant BAR across 2 strings. Of course I called the bar "the one with the 3rd finger" not with the 1st one like when you hold the whole chord.

I learned at Guitar Institute from Shawn Baxter that its called "Finger roll off technique". Later I read about it in Jazz lines book I have as well. You can imagine how many times Shawn got asked about sweep picking and A shape minor and major sweeps smile.gif I am just going with what I learned thats all. I didn't think you bared with 1st finger, I was just saying if you bar two notes will come out and noise will be there - if you do finger roll off, only one note at the time will come out , which is what ultimate goal of sweeping is smile.gif

QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Mar 26 2009, 02:12 AM) *
I roll my finger of for this kind of sweep, just barring it isn't clean enough!

Exactly , well said smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kjutte
Mar 27 2009, 02:23 PM
GMC:er
For improving sweepingskill I find just hammering on the notes work very well. (muting with rightarm)

Obviously, you can't do it with a barred sweep pattern.

Am7

A12
--------8 12

Cmaj7

A 15
-----------12-15

This post has been edited by kjutte: Mar 27 2009, 02:23 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:01 PM