2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Jinkies! It's A Ngd
bleez
Sep 11 2016, 05:43 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
After MUCH deliberation and being in the sound booth of the shop with a bunch of guitars and a rather tasty orange half stack for ages it boiled down to either the Hendrix strat or the classic 60s tele. Both were great.

The Tele won ohmy.gif

I kinda wanted to like the strat more tbh and its a great guitar, I wish I coulda bought them both. The tele just felt better to me. There was really nothing between to two. The mojo of the tele just clicked with me, I guess rolleyes.gif
I love the 7.25 radius, Its quite subtle I think compared to the 9.5 but Its great. first thing I did on the tele was crank it up and hit big bends high up the neck...... no problem at all, no choke, nothing and that's with no setup.
If I had to pick out a physical thing that set the two apart, too much lacquer on the fretboard of the strat the tele being rosewood doesnt have that issue and I thought if I bought the strat I would def need a tone mod for the bridge pickup or just replace all the p.ups but the tele.... I might just leave the p.ups for now as I quite like them. I might switch them later but for now they sound quite good to me.

But.... I can def see a strat in my not too distant future coz I still want one, probably with a reverse headstock cool.gif I might take a punt on the vintage Fillmore one smile.gif

so, all in all Im a very proud owner of a new classic series 60's tele biggrin.gif not even took the tag off yet!
Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Sep 11 2016, 06:29 PM
GMC:er
Congrats!

I'm one of those who discovered the tele very late but quickly noticed how inspiring it can be wether playing styles we see a tele used or not. Its a joy to dig deep with a tele smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Sep 11 2016, 06:30 PM
Sweet, congrats mate!!
smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 11 2016, 06:46 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Nice one Scott, congratulations. A tele is definitely on my list. Got any pics?

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Sep 11 2016, 06:59 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
It is a strange feeling when for our eyes one guitar is more desirable, but when we take it into our hands it is a different experience? Enjoy your new guitar, and buy the other later! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 11 2016, 07:26 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Mertay @ Sep 11 2016, 06:29 PM) *
Its a joy to dig deep with a tele smile.gif

It SO is smile.gif

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Sep 11 2016, 06:30 PM) *
Sweet, congrats mate!!
smile.gif smile.gif

thanks duder cool.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 11 2016, 06:46 PM) *
Nice one Scott, congratulations. A tele is definitely on my list. Got any pics?

I posted one in the first post, its not visible for you? I'll fire up demo vid though and give you blast of its awesome tele mojo!

QUOTE (Marek Rojewski @ Sep 11 2016, 06:59 PM) *
It is a strange feeling when for our eyes one guitar is more desirable, but when we take it into our hands it is a different experience? Enjoy your new guitar, and buy the other later! wink.gif

LOL! I may well do that laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 11 2016, 08:03 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 11 2016, 07:26 PM) *
I posted one in the first post, its not visible for you? I'll fire up demo vid though and give you blast of its awesome tele mojo!

Sorry dude, I was looking on my phone and the pic must've been slow to load . That's sweet, what is the pick guard made from? Hard to tell in the pic.

Two real proper Gibsons too, nice one smile.gif I only have Epis sad.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 11 2016, 08:15 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 11 2016, 08:03 PM) *
Sorry dude, I was looking on my phone and the pic must've been slow to load . That's sweet, what is the pick guard made from? Hard to tell in the pic.

Two real proper Gibsons too, nice one smile.gif I only have Epis sad.gif

think the pic guard is just the normal fender thing, dunno actually. Its a faded green colour and against the white it gives it a kinda transparent vibe, kinda cool.
yeah, 2 Gibsons both 1990 models so, much like myself, are becoming more vintage with every passing day smile.gif the LP is my most favourite of all things, it's a lovely guitar.

Also, just broke a string on my tele......... son of a bitch mad.gif now I have to go to youtube to see how vintage style tuners work LOL!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 11 2016, 10:21 PM
GMC Founder
Awesome - I knew the 'tele fever' would get you sooner or later! biggrin.gif That looks like a killer guitar. Congratulations!

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 11 2016, 10:31 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Sep 11 2016, 10:21 PM) *
Awesome - I knew the 'tele fever' would get you sooner or later! biggrin.gif That looks like a killer guitar. Congratulations!

Thanks Kris. Its great to finally have one.
before I joined GMC I would never have touched a tele biggrin.gif I must be getting old!

quick recording, Its just really nice to play rolleyes.gif
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcQa80e0Gbc

I wish I could record better. TBH It sounds a lot better in reaper, I seem to lose something when I render and playback outside reaper dry.gif
still, I reckon Im at least 13% cooler playing it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Sep 11 2016, 10:41 PM
GMC Founder
haha you're not getting older, just much better and musically more diverse. That clip sounds great btw!

At some point I would like to have a fender tele as well, it's such a classic instrument.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Sep 12 2016, 10:22 AM
Sounds sweet as well mate!!
You're right about the Guard too, it should be a 3 ply faded Mint Green for that Classic 60's vibe!!
smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Sep 12 2016, 08:03 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 11 2016, 07:15 PM) *
Also, just broke a string on my tele......... son of a bitch mad.gif now I have to go to youtube to see how vintage style tuners work LOL!

biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 12 2016, 08:26 PM
Instructor
Niiice, I like the tone you're getting there.

Different guitars can encourage us to play slightly differently don't you think? Have you noticed this with the Tele?

I've felt rumblings towards a Strat for a long time but don't know if (when) I'll take the plunge. It's gotta be White with maple fingerboard.

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 12 2016, 08:56 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 12 2016, 08:26 PM) *
Niiice, I like the tone you're getting there.

Different guitars can encourage us to play slightly differently don't you think? Have you noticed this with the Tele?

I've felt rumblings towards a Strat for a long time but don't know if (when) I'll take the plunge. It's gotta be White with maple fingerboard.

totally, I want to play a lot differently on the tele than I do on the SG. I just wanna play either gnarly blues stuff or Frusciante style stuff, neither of which Im very good at but it doesnt matter coz its a white tele and it sounds great in my head cool.gif

All the guitars I tried in the shop were white smile.gif the guy looked at me and goes "so.... its a white guitar youre after?" LOL!
get a strat, dude. Just imagine the epic things you could do with it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 12 2016, 10:04 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 11 2016, 10:31 PM) *
before I joined GMC I would never have touched a tele biggrin.gif I must be getting old!

I wish I could record better. TBH It sounds a lot better in reaper, I seem to lose something when I render and playback outside reaper dry.gif

Sweet bit of playing there mate, sweet tone too. Was it something you made up?

Update: Ahhhhh just noticed the title in the video. I don't know much RHCP, is it an actual piece of an "in the style of"?

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 12 2016, 10:06 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 12 2016, 11:46 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 12 2016, 10:04 PM) *
Sweet bit of playing there mate, sweet tone too. Was it something you made up?

Update: Ahhhhh just noticed the title in the video. I don't know much RHCP, is it an actual piece of an "in the style of"?

yeah a kinda 'style of''. Im playing a few RHCP lessons at the moment. Theres a guy on youtube who does a really excellent indepth look at Frusciante's playing, he uses that progression in one of them. Its really good to play, Im trying to add lead and embellish on it. I'd like to be able to come up with stuff like that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 13 2016, 01:46 AM
There comes a time in every Man's life when it's time to buy a TELE!!! smile.gif It just means your musical purview has expanded is all smile.gif Which is a good thing IMHO. Like KRIS DAHL always says, different guitars lead to playing different things. You just feel like playing different stuff on a tele vs an ibby or strat due to the way the guitar feels. So let it take you all the way to crazy!!!!!

Nice playing btw and congrats!!!

Todd

QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 11 2016, 05:31 PM) *

+Quote Post
Mertay
Sep 13 2016, 08:39 AM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 12 2016, 07:26 PM) *
I've felt rumblings towards a Strat for a long time but don't know if (when) I'll take the plunge.

Same here biggrin.gif

But for me it must have a humbucker bridge PU, after years of noodling with store or friends guitars I noticed I always wanted some sort of boost (level,bass or drive) fx when switched to the bridge PU specially if the PU's are vintage spec.ed.

Asked about this to my luthier who also plays gigs, he said experienced strat guys who mainly choose single bridge PU's actually does this for the bridge-middle PU position. The sound is super friendly for struming type stuff when gigging with various genre's. With a humbucker it gets too fat, splitted humbucker a bit fake...and even such players also agree in most situations a single bridge can be too weak.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 13 2016, 09:11 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mertay @ Sep 13 2016, 07:39 AM) *
Same here biggrin.gif

But for me it must have a humbucker bridge PU, after years of noodling with store or friends guitars I noticed I always wanted some sort of boost (level,bass or drive) fx when switched to the bridge PU specially if the PU's are vintage spec.ed.

Asked about this to my luthier who also plays gigs, he said experienced strat guys who mainly choose single bridge PU's actually does this for the bridge-middle PU position. The sound is super friendly for struming type stuff when gigging with various genre's. With a humbucker it gets too fat, splitted humbucker a bit fake...and even such players also agree in most situations a single bridge can be too weak.

Yeah, I'm probably veering toward humbucker bridge PU... I want to keep the Strat sound but the Strat sound I want is more Blackmore, Uli Jon Roth, Dave Murray.. so a little bit of that woody twang but more meat.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:34 PM