> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

161 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 7 2015, 04:07 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Great update.

Yes, sometimes we are very busy and our mind things to say, ok, it's enough, so going out during the weekend to refresh your mind is a great idea. You'll start next week renewed and things will start to work normally again. wink.gif

Your way of practicing bending sounds really good and I agree that it's a good method to train your ear. Keep working in this way and also record your self doing some improvisations that include bending to then check the pitches.

About, how to remember a lesson. I like dividing the parts of a lesson in days, and work on 1 part each day of the week. It's the best way to incoporate each of the licks that a lesson offers and be able to remember the whole thing, mostly when you are busy or working on many things at a time. I usually work on part 1 on monday, then on tuesday, refresh part 1 and start with part 2, and so... it really works.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 8 2015, 09:07 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Gab,
Sorry things take me so long. It may not seem like it but I do try hard, it's just that I work from 06:30 - 17:00 on my feet for ten of those hours and using my brain a lot so when I get home I'm pretty weary.
Cheers
Phil

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 8 2015, 04:56 PM
Instructor
Oh I see. Do you like your job?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 8 2015, 05:02 PM
It's very interesting, I am one of the owners so I have a lot to look after.
www.omegapistons.com
Cheers
Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 8 2015, 09:32 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 8 2015, 05:16 PM
Instructor
Wou! That site looks really futurist! Congrats on having your own business and also on working on something that your like. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 8 2015, 06:36 PM
Thanks Gab,
it was started by my father and two others about forty years ago. One partner and my father bought the third partner out and now me, my father, the other partner and his son run it. The two fathers are semi retired. This is why my time and energy are low smile.gif I do try my hardest with the guitar but I also have a wife to spend time with. I hope this explains why things take me longer than your other students wink.gif
Cheers
Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 8 2015, 10:20 PM
Hello Gab,

Ok, just got home 21:00, had a great weekend, a micro holiday as my wife and I call them, two days out with a hotel stopover inbetween, with meal in the restaurant, drinks in the bar and a late breakfast.

I tried one of those new strats at the weekend, lovely, it had different pickups (HSS) but the bloke in the shop said that it was the same as the one I want. I've ordered one now and it could be 3 months before I get it. It was only release at NAMM 2015. It looks lovely with the chrome bits on the pickups.

As It's too late to start practising tonight I thought I might show you some tracks from one of my favourite bands to give you an insight into the kind of things I'd like to be able to lay one day rolleyes.gif , I'm seeing them on Friday night in Birmingham UK smile.gif They've been going since the 80's. I love their rhythms and lead guitar work.

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 9 2015, 10:18 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 9 2015, 02:44 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Welcome back! Great to know that you had a great time during the weekend. Mine has been full of music and nice moments with family, girlfriend and friends. I had a gig with my band at the biggest Latin american Tattoo Show on Saturday and some jamming with a group of friends on Sunday that later could convert into a side project / album.

That guitar looks fantastic. Congrats on your new purchase. smile.gif

I'm listening to Thunder while I write this and I can say that they rock. I didn't know them. Thanks for the link. As you have been working on the two current lessons for many days, I think that maybe you're starting to feel a bit bored or need something new so what do you think if we add a new lesson that is close to Thunder's style?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 9 2015, 03:45 PM
That would be great Gab, maybe I could alternate the lessons a little. To be honest I rarely get bored but I do get frustrated when I hit a sticking point for a few days, this in itself can be counterproductive (Like this). Sometimes going back to lessons after trying something new can break a sticking point. I don't want to leave them altogether though, I still need to master the staccato power chord lesson too once I have got this one down.
Life's been a bit hectic lately, fun but hectic.
Glad you like Thunder. Their finest hour is Backstreet Symphony if you fancy getting an album. Luke Morley is the star guitarist, a left handed Les Paul player.
Cheers Gab.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 9 2015, 04:24 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 9 2015, 10:25 PM
Ok, worked on those last three bars tonight, I was struggling to remember them and get them into my fingers if you remember. It took longer than I wanted tonight but I had to keep plugging away, I was so close I couldn't go onto the power chord lesson because getting the notes into my fingers was only just out of reach.
I managed to get them now, the phrasing isn't right, the bends aren't very good etc etc BUT, the notes are in the right order. Now I have to hook them up to the rest of the piece, this can sometimes be difficult when I've been playing a small part in isolation but tomorrow I'll give it a go and the power chord lesson of which I have forgotten most of it in this last crazy week.

Here are the last three bars.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/rock-pop-solo-last-3-09032015

Cheers Gab

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 9 2015, 10:28 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 10 2015, 04:30 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! That video scared me! hahaha, do you feel like that while you practice? ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Please stay calm and enjoy this process. It doesn't make sense to get frustrated because our goals are always like a mirage. Once you reach them, you'll already have new ones. So honestly the journey is the whole thing and if we don't really enjoy it, things don't make sense.

This lesson are excuses to develop your playing so as soon as we go for trickier lesson you'll forget the previous ones and this is not a problem, it's natural. An regarding this, there is another method to work that can be working on shorter lessons / exercises. This would have a similar impact on your playing and you won't have that memory thing all the time on your mind. You can do it even with the current lessons. for example you can decide to work only on two part during the whole week and see what happens.

What do you say?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 10 2015, 05:09 PM
Thanks Gab,
I'm not quite as bad as the bloke in the video biggrin.gif but I do get frustrated. I am getting better. I usually concentrate on two bars at a time, get them into my fingers then learn another two. I try to polish the first two while learning the next two, then I try to polish the first four while learning the next two. I will try to break the lessons down a little more.
Cheers
Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 10 2015, 05:13 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 10 2015, 05:26 PM
Instructor
It sounds good. Try it and let me know what happens. smile.gif

and remember, smile and enjoy.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 10 2015, 10:18 PM
Hello Gab,
Had a good go at the Rock Pop solo again, got carried away with it again, ran out of time for the power chord lesson again. I'm struggling to get it all together. I can play the last three bars on their own but at the end my fingers start to play a similar part of the piece (bars 10/11). I was nearly like that bloke on the video laugh.gif

Just to show you I have been practising, take a look below, the little finger has a blister starting but it's hard to see in that pic rolleyes.gif Also the fingers were clean before I started, new strings and a lemon oiled fretboard too.

Click the pic for a larger view.

Cheers Gab cool.gif

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 11 2015, 01:52 PM
Instructor
hehehe that pic is a great signal of motivation and hard working!! I'm proud mate. It seems that our talks here are having some effect on your diary playing. Keep going! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 11 2015, 10:30 PM
Mid week meal with wife, came back had ANOTHER go at the rock pop solo. Mate, I am hooked on this melody rolleyes.gif I just can't try anything else, I am determined not to let it beat me. It is like one of those 1980's arcade games where you keep trying to beat your last score, gotta have another go!!!!!!! That last bit is still proving hard to get the phrasing right but it is getting better. Tomorrow I will have to go to the power chord lesson, my little finger is on fire from all the little finger pull offs in the rock pop piece sad.gif My fingers look worse than in that last picture. Is it true that white spirit will harden the finger tips?
At least the power chord lesson will give my little finger a break laugh.gif
Friday there will be no practise sad.gif as I am going to see Thunder, (how are you enjoying them by the way?) and stopping in a hotel near the venue. Hopefully this micro break will fire me up for a good session on Saturday.
I may get chance on Friday night to try this Restaurant, what would you recommend from the MENU?
Cheers Gab.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 12 2015, 11:39 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 12 2015, 03:10 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil! You are very motivated and focused! That's great!! I remember using band aids when my tips weren't strong enough to be able to continue practicing! So I feel identified with you. One day your tips will be really strong, by now, you have to resist. biggrin.gif

If you feel motivated to switch to the chords lesson, go for it, if not keep on the other one. It's great when this motivation appears.

That restaurant is amazing!! Everything is great there if they do it right. My favorite part of Asado is called "Vacio" which combined with Morrones asados, and maybe a salad or fried potato would be majestic!

If this is the first time you go there and you are hungry, you could go for the "Parrilla Mixta" which includes everything so you can taste all the things that are done "a la parrilla".

Then, there is something called "Asado de tira" which gives the name to the whole thing which is a cut really tasty. It's not my favorite but people here loves it.

This should be combined with a good Argentinian Wine from Mendoza. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 12 2015, 09:22 PM
Thanks Gab,
We aren't going to book a table as I have to go to work and hopefully leave early, the restaurant is city centre so traffic could be a problem. We will see how it goes and try to walk in if we get chance. Got to get to the gig for 6:30.

Ok, I've had a go at the solo again, can't resist. This is take number 666. I was quite tense as I kept getting the last three bars completely wrong so I was thinking about that all the way through rolleyes.gif You will here many little mistakes, I think this is due to the tension in me while I was playing, the ending is a total mess but I've put it on here so show you I am doing something wink.gif . If you listen to my recording a few posts back, just of the last three bars, it is much better than this, for some reason it just doesn't happen when I add it onto the rest. Hopefully, now I have done it once and jumped that hurdle it will start to come together. Mind you, with no practise tomorrow my fingers will probably forget what they have done tonight laugh.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/rock-pop-solo-12032015

Cheers
Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 13 2015, 03:25 AM
Instructor
Hi Phil! Nice to find a complete take of this one! I think that it sounding good! I can note that you are working really hard with this one and the first half shows it clearly. Another part of the practice is practicing to be on a recording situation. You need to practice it, to be able to control anxiety and tension while you play so I recommend to record a new video at the end of each practice session, if it's possible.

I'm sure that your fingers and mind will remember much more than what you think! Be positive! And also be positive that you'll try that amazing Argentinian food. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 14 2015, 09:17 PM
Never made it to the Argentinian restaurant sad.gif Time was against us and it was just a little too far away to be sure to get to the gig in time. We are going to go there later in the year, there is a hotel right opposite so we can have a good time and not think about driving smile.gif

The gig was AWESOME. Line up was Tax The Heat, Reef and Thunder.

This song had me in tears, it was sung with such passion, I had tears streaming down my face.

I don't think that kindness is a weakness
I don't have a problem with compassion

Tell me what you're thinking? Would you like to be so high?
Could you give consideration to something that you did not realize? Yeah
Would you close your ears to the things you did not believe?
Tell me would you be strong? Would you be the one to carry on?
Tell me would you be strong? Would you be one to carry on

I don't think that kindness is a weakness
I don't have a problem with compassion
Would you close your ears to the things you did not believe?
Tell me would you be strong? Would you be the one to carry on?
Tell me would you be strong? Would you be one to carry on

Half don't come here, half don't come here
Half don't come here, so I do

It's gonna be alright
It's gonna be alright
It's gonna be alright

Thunder also had me in tears with this song, I didn't realise until last night what it is about. One of the guitarists, Ben Mathews has been going through cancer treatment. They introduced him, just before this song as "our resident cancer patient", then sung this song below. After it had finished they said "Put your hands together for the man who beat cancer". The crowd went wild. The song is about his difficult time through it all and how the band felt, the title is how it felt when he said he was in the clear. I hope it gave anyone in the audience going the the same, the strength to fight.

Resurrection Day
Live acoustic version, watch how the singer looks at Ben every now and then, Ben is the one nearest the camera. Lyrics below.

Album version

I was just living on
On the day they dropped the bomb
I was numb with a hard road in front of me
In the eye of the storm
So many long days I won’t mourn
But I wept with joy when the black clouds disappeared

From a long, lonely night
I’m back into the light
And it feels just like it’s resurrection day

Battle lines been drawn
You’re in the dark before the dawn
And you’re wondering why luck’s such a random thing
Every plan from before
In dust upon the floor
And it’s tough has hell when you’re lower than a submarine

But you live through the fight
And you touch the other side
And it feels just like resurrection day
It feels just like resurrection day
Somehow you break the barricades
While the fires are burning
Sometimes you fall on your knees and pray

From a cold, lonely night
I’m back into the light
It feels just like resurrection day
Yes it feels just like resurrection day
I’ve been waiting so long for resurrection day.

Here is tonight's Rock Pop solo. I tried a new pick, there is a lot of work to do on it but it is better. I know there is a wrong note a 0:42 but couldn't re-record, ran out of time. I think the ending is a little better. One area where I am struggling is on the high E bends, I find they don't sustain for very long, is this me, the guitar, or something else? They just seem to fade really quick and I end up re-picking them, that's how I made the wrong note at 0:42. I also noticed, when I played this back, that the guitar sounded a little flat, I checked it on the tuner and it is a little flat. I usually tune up first but was short on time and forgot. Why don't I notice it is flat when I'm playing instead of when I'm listening back. At least I noticed which, I suppose is a step in the right direction eh? rolleyes.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/rock-pop-solo-14032015

Cheers

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Mar 14 2015, 10:23 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

161 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:40 PM