Got Chinese Strings :)
Mertay
Dec 27 2018, 02:32 PM
GMC:er
I have a classical guitar from my childhood I almost never play, picked it up recently to try something and noticed the strings were really bad (like, dirty discousting bad smile.gif )

So during a visit to my luthier I asked him for the cheapest strings since I don't play it, he told me there are some Chinese ones if I'd like to try and I said ok.

Even during installation the strings felt weird biggrin.gif oddly soft and plastic on the would, hazy color and a bit thick on the non-wound. I installed them yesterday and still can't hold tune, like 2 notes out of tune every few hours smile.gif Curious if they'll stay in tune before they age biggrin.gif

The sound isn't that bad, at-least on the wound-strings but feel is very off.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 28 2018, 01:08 AM
Yeah, probably worth it to get real strings imho. My experience with off brand strings has been really hit or miss.

Todd
QUOTE (Mertay @ Dec 27 2018, 09:32 AM) *
I have a classical guitar from my childhood I almost never play, picked it up recently to try something and noticed the strings were really bad (like, dirty discousting bad smile.gif )

So during a visit to my luthier I asked him for the cheapest strings since I don't play it, he told me there are some Chinese ones if I'd like to try and I said ok.

Even during installation the strings felt weird biggrin.gif oddly soft and plastic on the would, hazy color and a bit thick on the non-wound. I installed them yesterday and still can't hold tune, like 2 notes out of tune every few hours smile.gif Curious if they'll stay in tune before they age biggrin.gif

The sound isn't that bad, at-least on the wound-strings but feel is very off.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Dec 28 2018, 02:01 AM
D'Addario make the least expensive decent nylon/classical guitar strings. Go for Pro-Arte medium or hard tension.
If you want to spend a little more and get a high quality string - Augustine reds or blues. I use the blues. They're my faves!
La Bella also makes decent classical guitar strings. I personally don't like them. I think the tension is weird. Some guys love them.

Wanna spend a lot more - Savarez. Arguably the best out there.
There's also a German brand called Hannabach that are very expensive here and they're supposed to be great but I've never tried them.

*High or hard tension will give you the most stability with tuning and IMO, the best (and longest lasting) tone.
Something to note - if they don't break, you don't need to change the treble strings hardly ever (depends on how much you play). Most classical guitarists only change the basses when they get dull sounding or the windings start to separate or you break one.

**One of things the States still knows how to do is make guitar strings.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Dec 28 2018, 03:56 AM

+Quote Post
Adam
Dec 28 2018, 04:14 AM
Learning Roadie
Sounds like fun biggrin.gif It's true it's a hit or miss, not just about strings. I swapped TOM bridges in both my electrics to moderately cheap Asian (WSC) and both are a bullseye, though off brand. I know Mayones uses these parts in their cheaper guitars. I wouldn't risk getting Asian tuners, though.

What can I say? A classical guitar is well worth nice set of strings. I usually went for La Bella and Magma (iirc) because they are relatively cheap yet solid. Lately I got some endorsement from Rotosound and there were nylon sets as well (the pink one) and that's a serious step up from what I used. I think they are of medium price. They stay in tune just fine and are really durable. I'm playing fingerstyle but also barbaric picking with Alu Techpick just as much and many strings break on me easily. Roto's endured twice of a regular set and don't seem like breaking anytime soon. Of course, if it's just for fun or short-term playing, Chinese strings should be good enough smile.gif

It's funny but getting a nice set of strings actually got me to play the classical guitar again.

QUOTE (klasaine @ Dec 28 2018, 02:01 AM) *
D'Addario make the least expensive decent nylon/classical guitar strings. Go for Pro-Arte medium or hard tension.
If you want to spend a little more and get a high quality string - Augustine reds or blues. I use the blues. They're my faves!

My experience with D'Addario is the worst imaginable. I tried their strings and they broke super fast. Recently my brother got a cable and it also broke quite quickly. He's had it replaced and yet it broke again. The seller was amazed how it had been possible. He was claiming it's a top quality stuff (that's his job, alright) . I don't see a reason to use D'Addario stuff while there is a lot to choose from on the market.

I can't find Augustine's in local stores, maybe GC will have them. I'll keep my eyes open to bargain sales biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Adam M: Dec 28 2018, 04:26 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 28 2018, 10:09 AM
Previous cheap string was D'addario, the price was near half on the Chinese but although the price ratio is good the money isn't worth the difference even for me on my worst day.

So next time I probably go D'addario again. I don't think we have Augutine here but I do know Savarez and Hannabach. Unlike us electric players, classical players only expense is strings so they don't mind buying them smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:55 PM