Andy Timmons Picking Style
Wyverex
Sep 9 2016, 05:58 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
In this video http://www.jimdunlop.com/blog/guitarist-an...ex®-jazz-pick/ Andy Timmons talks about always using a combination of his pick and the tip of his index finger to hit the strings but he doesn't get into details. Apparently it's a huge part of his tone though, so I'd like to learn more about it. I messed around with it a bit but it seems I'm not able to produce a good tone when trying to hit the strings with both the pick and my finger. And it feels very weird to even try that.

Does anyone have experience with this technique or do you know if there exists a resource where he explains in more detail what he's doing there? Maybe I'm even getting it all wrong smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Sep 9 2016, 07:41 PM
GMC:er
I think I understood it after the video as sometimes I do that too, select a fret and then find the easiest pinch harmonic location (somewhere near the mid. or neck pickup might be easier).

Thats the spot where it will sound good by using touching both pick and finger, its like making a very weak/wrong pinch harmonic stroke where instead of the harmonic we hear a more complex note. Always work with sustaining distortion, after a while you won't need to be so critical on where you hit the string but it takes time to get very comfortable. Hope it helps smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Sep 9 2016, 07:44 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Wyverex
Sep 9 2016, 07:48 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Ah I see what you mean! I will play around with that. Thank you! smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:42 PM