2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Mötley Crue Inspired Metallica...
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 29 2008, 01:13 PM
Instructor
Hey all! yesterday I saw a documentary about heavy metal in VH1. I have read lots of books and seen many documentaries but I've never read this. Metallica wanted to sound like Crue's Dr. Feelgood album when they recorded "The black album". They like that fat and big sound and that's why thery choose Bob Rock as their productor. However they always hated Motley Crue. laugh.gif
Do you know it?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Apr 29 2008, 01:16 PM
GMC:er
Metallica dropped off once cliff died... now they are like hard country instead of metal

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Apr 29 2008, 01:57 PM
Singing Instructor
I don't think metallica died with Cliff(rip),I think they just had to go to a different path,and I am shore many people like the path they went.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Apr 29 2008, 02:02 PM
I detest Metallica now. The reason they went rubbish was because of Bob Rock and the fact they sold out big time. I hope the new album can get a bit of respect back for them but unless it is as good as the Black Album then I doubt it will. Maybe they can even get to the greatness of Kill 'Em All, RTL, MOP or AJFA. But that would be hoping.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Apr 29 2008, 04:59 PM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Apr 29 2008, 09:02 AM) *
I detest Metallica now. The reason they went rubbish was because of Bob Rock and the fact they sold out big time. I hope the new album can get a bit of respect back for them but unless it is as good as the Black Album then I doubt it will. Maybe they can even get to the greatness of Kill 'Em All, RTL, MOP or AJFA. But that would be hoping.

i feel the same way. they MIGHT be able to pull it together for this next album, but they'll never be the same, at least not to me.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Apr 29 2008, 05:05 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I think this isn't a "I hate Metallica thread", iis about Mötley Crue inspired Metallica.

And now that you say it Gabriel The Black Album does have that fat and big sound from Dr. Feelgood. And it is nice to know that they were inspired by a band that they didn't like.

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
Enucleation
Apr 29 2008, 07:38 PM
I understand the distaste people have for Metallica but I still remain a huge fan. My favorite album of pretty much all time being ...And Justice For All I too am a bit disapointed in St. Anger, but I'll say there are good songs on it it just wasn't Metallica...ok so maybe I'm just whining about the no solos.

I hear good things about the new album though (if they every finish the darn thing). But as for Motley Crue...interesting. Wouldn't have expected that.

This post has been edited by Enucleation: Apr 29 2008, 07:38 PM

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Apr 29 2008, 07:53 PM
Instructor
i think the time is changing also the bands change there styles little .that doesnt mean if they good or not.

+Quote Post
Maximus
Apr 29 2008, 08:08 PM
Metallica and especially Lars went out of their way in the AJFA and earlier days to talk smack about any comercially successful bands. As any dime store psychologist can tell you, the more vocally someone protests about someone, especially their competition, the more likely it is that there might be some jealousy and or actual respect involved. If you look at Metallica today, you can obviously see that they have become exactly what they criticized in their earlier days. I like Metallica through it all but I think if you could really dig into their closets you would probably see that the "in your face" success of so many 80's bands did influence them but you will never hear them admit it. Let's not forget that these guys swore that they would never do a music video. Talk is cheap.

--------------------

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Ibanez rg 750, Ibanez Mikro, Washburn Acoustic
Amps: Crate GX 1600 1/2 Stack, Line 6 Spider 2, Vintage Kustom Tube Head
Effects: Line 6 POD X3 Live, Line 6 PocketPod
Misc: Line 6 FBV Express Foot Switch/Volume/Wah-Wah Pedal

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Apr 29 2008, 08:47 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I don't like anything that they released after the black album, but I respect them for trying different things and not releasing Master of Puppets ten times in a row. And about the main topic of this thread, yup, I knew about it ;-)

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Pablo Vazquez
Apr 29 2008, 08:49 PM
Instructor
Hey... Metallica and Motley Crüe Rules!! ...end of discussion for me!! tongue.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 29 2008, 10:18 PM
Instructor
laugh.gif now this is a "why do you hate Metallica thread"! Funny. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
steiner666
Apr 29 2008, 10:46 PM
Metallica was one of the reasons i wanted to start learning guitar years ago... but they haven't had a good album since the 80's. I mean the S&M thing was pretty cool, cause I love orchestration, but still... St. Anger was horrible, and I watched videos of 2 songs from their upcoming album on youtube and I can't find one good thing to say about the songs or the band in general, so I'm not going to comment further.

--------------------
ESP LTD MH-400NT (EMG 81/85 set, D'Addario Skinny Top/Fat Bottom strings)
Line 6 Toneport GX

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Apr 29 2008, 10:55 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey come on guys....the topic is Mötley Crue Inspired Metallica... , no I HATE METALLICA

Baybe Metallica should be a forbidden word in GMC.

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
steiner666
Apr 29 2008, 11:00 PM
QUOTE (coffeeman @ Apr 29 2008, 05:55 PM) *
Hey come on guys....the topic is Mötley Crue Inspired Metallica... , no I HATE METALLICA

Baybe Metallica should be a forbidden word in GMC.

That might not be a bad idea. Anyways their one new song sounds like motorhead or something along those lines... i think they just ran out of creativity, simple as that. They had it, then they lost it!

--------------------
Line 6 Toneport GX

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 29 2008, 11:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (steiner666 @ Apr 29 2008, 07:00 PM) *
That might not be a bad idea. Anyways their one new song sounds like motorhead or something along those lines... i think they just ran out of creativity, simple as that. They had it, then they lost it!

really? Where can I hear that song? It it a studio version?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
steiner666
Apr 30 2008, 12:02 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Apr 29 2008, 06:53 PM) *
really? Where can I hear that song? It it a studio version?

Right here. And no, no such luck on a studio version.

--------------------
Line 6 Toneport GX

+Quote Post
Iron King
Apr 30 2008, 07:01 PM
QUOTE (steiner666 @ Apr 29 2008, 07:02 PM) *

wow, I really I didn't like that song
sounds more like skater punk than metal

that being said, I like their other new song. It's not as intense as their earlier stuff, but its metal

+Quote Post
Enucleation
Apr 30 2008, 08:02 PM
The new songs on youtube and such won't be on the new album. I think its been said that a few riffs or parts from those songs might be used but thats it. I read though, the album is supposed to be really progressive with solos and time signature changes and stuff. Also that it may have a bit of an eastern feel to it.

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post
rokchik
Apr 30 2008, 11:04 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (steiner666 @ Apr 29 2008, 08:02 PM) *

I thought more like Offspring met Motorhead, but they didn't get along smile.gif I did not like that song at all.

But as for the original topic, now that you mention it you can certainly hear the "Crue-ish" influence. I guess it's the Bob Rock connection. Metallica is an interesting band to discuss though. I've always found it interesting that many began to resent them when they became commercial and enjoyed by the masses. However, Metallica did make a huge change with the Black Album so I can see why the purists would be upset.

I enjoyed the Black Album but ...And Justice for All is by far my favorite.

rok

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:32 PM