2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Help In Transcribing Song
Victor Simion
Jan 4 2021, 08:12 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi,

Is it too much if I ask for help in order to transcribe a guitar solo?

I mean that I have partially transcribed and maybe wrong in some parts

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jan 4 2021, 09:48 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 4 2021, 08:12 PM) *
Hi,

I don't think so, but have you looked at youtube to see if it has been done
I don't think you are allowed to put copywritten tab up

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Jan 4 2021, 09:56 PM

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Jan 4 2021, 09:49 PM
Learning Tone Master
Which solo are you trying to transcribe?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 4 2021, 10:20 PM
GMC:er
Nearly every solo on earth has a guitar pro file at this point and a youtube vid smile.gif So it should be no problem at all. What solo?

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 4 2021, 03:12 PM) *
Hi,

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jan 4 2021, 10:40 PM
Learning Roadie
I am trying to transcribe the solo from this song

The solo starts from 2:43

There is no tab for this one, that's why I am trying to transcribe it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 5 2021, 02:01 AM
Congrats!! That's a deeeeeep cut and nope there is no tab for it. This is probably a good thing actually. Choosing songs that already have tab prevents a player from actually developing their ear. One of the best ways of developing your ear is to transcribe a solo, by ear. I've had a listen to the solo and I'd say start trying to transcribe it note for not and share what you get. We will all take a look and listen and give you advice along the way. That way you can work on developing a key skill, (being able to t ranscribe by ear) and the community can help if you make a mistake.

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 4 2021, 05:40 PM) *
I am trying to transcribe the solo from this song

The solo starts from 2:43

There is no tab for this one, that's why I am trying to transcribe it.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 5 2021, 03:50 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I had a few weeks working simple stuff out, just things like Style Council You're The Best Thing intro, the vocal to Adele's Someone Like You and things like that, I didn't get into chords, that's a whole other thing but I did notice that after a while, once I'd got the first note, I could find some of the others more easily, knowing your scales helps BUT, things like that intro to You're The Best thing, just knowing a single box version of the scale wasn't enough, it goes from open strings right up to the 14th fret (IIRC) so you may hit the right note but it won't sound the same.

How I did it was to put an MP3 of the track into my DAW and slow it right down, no so much that it warbles though, then I'd loop just one note (usually the first) until I found it by playing notes on the guitar, then I'd try to work on the following notes by listening and trying to remember the next three, when I thought I'd got it I'd play along with the song, if I was out I'd try again. Sometimes I got frustrated and looped note number 2, or if there's a big jump in interval it was hard so I'd loop the note that sounded many semi tones away.

After a while it does get easier, I need to do some more really but it takes a lot of time, having said that, even something like You're The Best Thing is satisfying when you work it out and makes you realise that Mr Weller ain't no fool wink.gif

I also used to use some web site where you could create and store TAB, if you have GP5 you can use that but if you don't have much theory knowledge, as I don't, you will get a lot of red bars (notation errors).

I hope this helps you to help yourself wink.gif

Apologies if this is too simple for you, I don't know your level, maybe you can already easily transcribe things like I mentioned above, in which case ignore it all but if this is your first transcription maybe your in too deep, either way, give it a go and let us all hear it, I'm sure some of the people on here with help out wink.gif.

Cheers

Stay safe.

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jan 5 2021, 03:54 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jan 5 2021, 05:27 PM
Learning Roadie
Thank you all,

I am already working on the tab, I will post it soon, in the meantime I am trying to get as much as I can done and fixed.

It would be great if you could help me finish and correct it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jan 5 2021, 06:25 PM
Learning Roadie
I have attached what I have so far.

The original song is played using half step down
I transcribed using normal tuning, so if you play against the original song you should sound with one semi-tone above.

This video should be very helpful, posted recently, posted very recently by the band
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=235396901501688

Some Comments:
I am pretty sure the drums could be improved.

Section A:
I am not sure on the Rhythm Guitar in the last bar,
The other power chords sounds ok to me, but I am not sure why to use this power chords and note some other power chords.

Section B:
I am not sure the sweep part is correct, I think the guitar player goes up and down a little on the sweep picking part.
Again the Rhythm part is me just trying to guess the notes.

Section C:
This one is a total mess.

Last Descending Run:
This one is also me trying to guess, but I am sure I guessed the last note, where it lands.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Trooper___Inca_O_Lupta.gp ( 17.77K ) Number of downloads: 154

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 5 2021, 07:41 PM
Impressive work!!! I thought you just planned on doing the solo and you did the entire song!!! It sounds great to me. If you would like, I can export the midi for the drums and run it through easy drummer to get a better drum sound.

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 5 2021, 01:25 PM) *

I transcribed using normal tuning, so if you play against the original song you should sound with one semi-tone above.

This video should be very helpful, posted recently, posted very recently by the band

Some Comments:

Section A:
The other power chords sounds ok to me, but I am not sure why to use this power chords and note some other power chords.

Section B:
I am not sure the sweep part is correct, I think the guitar player goes up and down a little on the sweep picking part.

Section C:

Last Descending Run:
This one is also me trying to guess, but I am sure I guessed the last note, where it lands.

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Jan 5 2021, 08:23 PM
Learning Tone Master
Solo is pretty easy, especially since we have a video of the guitar player playing it like the album version biggrin.gif

I don't have GP so I can't see in which part of the solo you are stuck.

So if you can export it as a pdf then I can have a look at it and patch it up.

But like Todd said, it will be a great learning experience to try transcribe it as much as you can on your own. It will help you tremendously!

Hint: In most cases the solo follows the chords' notes i.e if the guitar is playing C major, then the solo has the Root note ©, it's major 3rd (E) and its 5th (G). So its mostly arpeggios of the chords up and down.

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 5 2021, 05:25 PM) *

Some Comments:

Section A:

Section B:

Section C:

Last Descending Run:

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jan 5 2021, 08:30 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Jan 5 2021, 07:23 PM) *
Solo is pretty easy, especially since we have a video of the guitar player playing it like the album version biggrin.gif

I don't have GP so I can't see in which part of the solo you are stuck.

So if you can export it as a pdf then I can have a look at it and patch it up.

But like Todd said, it will be a great learning experience to try transcribe it as much as you can on your own. It will help you tremendously!

Hint: In most cases the solo follows the chords' notes i.e if the guitar is playing C major, then the solo has the Root note ©, it's major 3rd (E) and its 5th (G). So its mostly arpeggios of the chords up and down.

Ok, thank you for help.

Here I attached the PDFs, you don't use guitar pro, not even an older version like GP5?

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Trooper___Inca_O_Lupta_Lead_Guitar.pdf ( 67.03K ) Number of downloads: 154
Attached File  Trooper___Inca_O_Lupta_Rhythm_Guitar.pdf ( 56.49K ) Number of downloads: 155

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jan 5 2021, 10:03 PM
Learning Tone Master
oops didn't see the tab

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Jan 5 2021, 10:24 PM

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Jan 5 2021, 10:10 PM
Learning Tone Master
I used to have on my laptop an old version of it but I deleted it, and now I think you have to pay for it.

I don't really use tabs anymore so..

Anyway, on section A you mixed up the notes of the main melody with the notes of the harmony.
Also there is an easier way to play those parts by using two strings than three.
On the facebook video the guitar player is doing the two-string playing as well.

Let me download gp7 and show it to you.

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 5 2021, 07:30 PM) *
Ok, thank you for help.

Here I attached the PDFs, you don't use guitar pro, not even an older version like GP5?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 5 2021, 10:28 PM
He mentions in his post above that the song is half a step down and that he is using standard tuning.

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jan 5 2021, 05:03 PM) *
oops didn't see the tab

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Jan 5 2021, 10:44 PM
Learning Tone Master
Here is what the first guitar player is playing for section A.

I wrote it like he is playing it on the video.

Of course you can change the positions of the notes to make it easier for you to transition from arpeggio to arpeggio.

Attached File  inca_trooper.gp ( 9.26K ) Number of downloads: 166

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jan 5 2021, 11:43 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Jan 5 2021, 09:44 PM) *
Here is what the first guitar player is playing for section A.

I wrote it like he is playing it on the video.

Of course you can change the positions of the notes to make it easier for you to transition from arpeggio to arpeggio.

Attached File  inca_trooper.gp ( 9.26K ) Number of downloads: 166

I think you are right about the way he plays.
The arpeggios are easier for me to play like this and also you changed the arpeggio notes to make them all equal, I checked the video again and you are right in here also.

You said that I am free to change the positions as I want, but I don't want to change them, I want to make them exactly like it's played.

So thank you again, this is a nice start.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jan 6 2021, 12:51 PM
Learning Roadie
Let's discuss Section A of the solo.

I think the Lead Guitar is correct now, thanks to Steve.

Regarding the Rhythm Guitar, I think the power chords are ok, except for the last bar, something doesn't sound right to me.

Not sure how to figure the power chords.

My question is:

How do I figure the power chords for Section A?

I am trying to follow this hint:

"Hint: In most cases the solo follows the chords' notes i.e if the guitar is playing C major, then the solo has the Root note ©, it's major 3rd (E) and its 5th (G). So its mostly arpeggios of the chords up and down."

How do I figure out what scale and what key the section A is using?

This post has been edited by Victor Simion: Jan 6 2021, 12:51 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Jan 6 2021, 10:28 PM
Learning Tone Master
The Section A chords you wrote on GP7 are correct except the very last part. I think he is playing

A5 B5 F#5 G#5 A5

QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Jan 6 2021, 11:51 AM) *
Let's discuss Section A of the solo.

I think the Lead Guitar is correct now, thanks to Steve.

Regarding the Rhythm Guitar, I think the power chords are ok, except for the last bar, something doesn't sound right to me.

Not sure how to figure the power chords.

My question is:

How do I figure the power chords for Section A?

I am trying to follow this hint:

"Hint: In most cases the solo follows the chords' notes i.e if the guitar is playing C major, then the solo has the Root note ©, it's major 3rd (E) and its 5th (G). So its mostly arpeggios of the chords up and down."

How do I figure out what scale and what key the section A is using?

S

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Jan 7 2021, 06:23 PM
Learning Roadie
Here is my updated version of the solo, I worked on the other parts also.

Section A should be ready, except I am not still sure if the last bar is correct. ( I mean the Rhythm Guitar the Lead Guitar should be correct)

Once we can be sure about Section A we can move to the next sections and correct them.

Thank you very much, this means a lot for me.

This post has been edited by Victor Simion: Jan 7 2021, 06:40 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Trooper___Inca_O_Lupta_ver_2.gp ( 18.42K ) Number of downloads: 152

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:20 PM