Why More People Play Guitar Rather Than Bass?
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 22 2008, 05:04 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I want to hear you opinions, many people start with guitar and its often hard to find a bass player? I hear from some people that bass looks/sounds inferior to them generally..Why is that and whats your opinion about that topic ?
These guys give a strong point in this matter : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uC2aur6ezk smile.gif
laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
muntahunta
Feb 22 2008, 05:12 PM
Learning Roadie
most bassists i know start on guitar then after a year or two turn to bass.
i like both, i come up with bass riffs easier than guitar riffs but i could never give up my 6 strings for a measly 4.

maybe thats why... only 4 strings makes some people feel inferior? lol

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson

+Quote Post
steve25
Feb 22 2008, 05:16 PM
GMC:er
Bass just seems a bit boring to me, so i don't bother with it really. There seems to be a wider range of sounds with guitar and i also think guitar sounds better than bass

+Quote Post
at lights end
Feb 22 2008, 05:17 PM
yeah those are good points.
but there are a lot of well recognised bassists.
like this guy

John Myung
and he has 6 strings

it's near impossible to find a bassist round here. and bass is so fun to play, i don't know, maybe it's because many songs don't have particularly interesting bass lines.

This post has been edited by at lights end: Feb 22 2008, 05:18 PM

--------------------
“You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.”

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 22 2008, 05:19 PM
QUOTE (muntahunta @ Feb 22 2008, 05:12 PM) *
most bassists i know start on guitar then after a year or two turn to bass.
i like both, i come up with bass riffs easier than guitar riffs but i could never give up my 6 strings for a measly 4.

maybe thats why... only 4 strings makes some people feel inferior? lol

But you can buy a 6 string one ? wink.gif And be a groove beast smile.gif

Bass can be boring as any other instrument , if you play everything uninterestingly and same it will be boring smile.gif Your job is to keep a good groove with the drummer and you actually never stop doing it in a song (and you are allowed to have as much fun as you want in it)...Its pulse is what gets people dancing and "feeling" the song wink.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan: Feb 22 2008, 05:22 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tomotoms
Feb 22 2008, 05:23 PM
When I was at school I used to play the tuba and the bass lines I played in school bands were not as interesting as the meldoy parts the trumpets and clarinets had sad.gif

I suppose more people want to play the melody than the bass line as (generally) it's more melodic.

I think my hands are too small to play bass well anyway.

Also on a casual level, if you can strum a few chords on a guitar you can play a song and have a bit of a sing-a-long. Not so easy to do on a bass.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 22 2008, 05:28 PM
QUOTE (Tomotoms @ Feb 22 2008, 05:23 PM) *
Also on a casual level, if you can strum a few chords on a guitar you can play a song and have a bit of a sing-a-long. Not so easy to do on a bass.

Now this is a good point here Tomotoms ! Generally you can't play and sing songs alone at home with bass like you would play some chords and sing with guitar.You can but it would sound weird..On the other hand bass can be easier to start with playing full songs because you can use only roots of the chords to follow with the song (simplify it that way)..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Feb 22 2008, 05:34 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
personally I place a larger emphasis (as far as a band goes) on the Bass & Drums, its the heart n soul and main driving force behind any decent band, a decent guitarist is the cherry on the top.

I`m hopeless at playing the Bass, I end up just playing root notes all the time when I do.

Would you say you have to approach the Bass with a different kind of thinking to guitar? thats probably where I go wrong, but not sure.

The Bass feels so weird to me to play, if I`m recording with a Bass and play it for a while the guitar feels like a little tiny toy afterwards laugh.gif

Good Bass players have my respect! smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Feb 22 2008, 05:41 PM
Lets go fishing!
Good question!! I always associate bass players with people who want to get into a groove cool.gif I see it as very important, its a shame there are not more Bass players !:)

That said, it just dosent appeal to me, the reason im not sure why, I guess guitar seems more appealing - maybe because the lead guitarist is seen as a more glamourous role smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 22 2008, 05:43 PM
QUOTE (Smells @ Feb 22 2008, 05:34 PM) *
personally I place a larger emphasis (as far as a band goes) on the Bass & Drums, its the heart n soul and main driving force behind any decent band, a decent guitarist is the cherry on the top.

I`m hopeless at playing the Bass, I end up just playing root notes all the time when I do.

Would you say you have to approach the Bass with a different kind of thinking to guitar? thats probably where I go wrong, but not sure.

The Bass feels so weird to me to play, if I`m recording with a Bass and play it for a while the guitar feels like a little tiny toy afterwards laugh.gif

Good Bass players have my respect! smile.gif

Well I think that guitar players think different when composing bass lines and vise versa..Playing roots is a good start , but you should concentrate what the drummer is playing manly with his foot and snare drum.You don't need a same guitar line one octave lower..Try playing with just the drums..Listening to bass drum beats..You can for start lay the root notes on those kicks..Than next safe thing to do is to go for other notes that make up the chords used in progression..Obviously you can't play them at the same time as you would on guitar.So you should make up a little melody around those notes..Also use some passing notes when going for a change, they can be one fret lower than the next root or higher..Find a scale which you are playing and use the note previous to the next root..Bass can be very interesting if you want to make it that way..Important thing is to forget about guitar groove and listen to drums and try to make them more musical (you can play notes on bass and drummer can't). smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Feb 22 2008, 05:51 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (Bogdan @ Feb 22 2008, 04:43 PM) *
Bass can be very interesting if you want to make it that way..Important thing is to forget about guitar groove and listen to drums and try to make them more musical (you can play notes on bass and drummer can't). smile.gif

Thanks for the tips, I agree it can be interesting, my brother plays Bass and always says I approach it as a "guitarist", I know what he means and I`m sure you know what he means too.
Good point about listening to the drums, I usually think of the bass line in terms of what the guitar is playing, nice, thanks smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 22 2008, 05:56 PM
Instructor
You have a point Bogdan, Bass guitar is important part of the sound picture. Even if melodies on the bass have often more rhythmic then melodic function, the bass is one cool instrument. Especially in jazz and funk. And please... jazz and funk are the best cool.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 22 2008, 06:26 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
A few ppl touched the area already and I will emphasis that I belive bass is standing closer to the drums than it is to the guitar.
Bass to me seems like a tricky instrument since it mainly supports the drums and sometimes can add support to what the guitars do then back to rhythm section again.

I would never do good on bass myself. I leave that to the pro's who know their way of driving a rhythm.

So to answer the Q just perhaps the choise stands beween bass or drums, not bass or guitar? huh.gif ..or did I go too far there?

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 22 2008, 07:17 PM
Well bass is very related to drums..I didn't want to compare people not picking up drums because of obvious reason - you need a lot of space for drums and also can't play it in apartment buildings etc...They are loud.. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Joe Kataldo
Feb 22 2008, 07:20 PM
Instructor
Because chicks likes guitar player laugh.gif biggrin.gif tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Joe Kataldo: Feb 22 2008, 07:49 PM

--------------------
________________________________________________________________________________

+Quote Post
swingline
Feb 22 2008, 07:21 PM
I think its because guitarists are put into the limelight of a band. So it is most likely because there will be few bassists to ever hit a popularity point of Zakk Wylde. I play both and like both depending on the genre, Jazz-Bass no doubt, Rock/Metal-Guitar.

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 22 2008, 07:27 PM
I think that in a band nobody will get his spotlight just because of the instrument he plays..He has to earn it with his skill,performance , stage presence...You have people like Flea, Geddy Lee, Billy Sheean , Paul McCartney, Steve Harris..You just have to deserve your spot..Same thing with other instruments.. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
swingline
Feb 22 2008, 07:30 PM
Thats true, now my theory is out the window. laugh.gif

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Feb 22 2008, 07:42 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Bogdan @ Feb 22 2008, 01:27 PM) *
I think that in a band nobody will get his spotlight just because of the instrument he plays..He has to earn it with his skill,performance , stage presence...You have people like Flea, Geddy Lee, Billy Sheean , Paul McCartney, Steve Harris..You just have to deserve your spot..Same thing with other instruments.. wink.gif

Sting, Gene Simmons, Les Claypool.

I've always loved the based , Im looking forward to buy one.

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
Joe Kataldo
Feb 22 2008, 07:50 PM
Instructor
No man, everyone starts to play guitar, to impress girls, really biggrin.gif

--------------------
________________________________________________________________________________

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:19 PM