What Happened To The Michael Jackson Tribute Lessons?
Socky42
Dec 14 2010, 09:45 PM
GMC:er
I'm assuming some copyright issue

Could someone at least post the chord progression?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 14 2010, 10:08 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Hi Socky42,

This might be the reason:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=37521

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
skennington
Dec 14 2010, 10:52 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Please don't post any copyrighted material from these lessons. They were taken down for a reason. As Kris described in his post, We may not have the proper licensing in place, thanks.

/skennington

+Quote Post
playaxeman
Dec 14 2010, 10:55 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (skennington @ Dec 14 2010, 10:52 PM) *
Please don't post any copyrighted material from these lessons. They were taken down for a reason. As Kris described in his post, We may not have the proper licensing in place, thanks.

/skennington

Since when is a tabbed lesson (Muris his interpretation) copyrighted material?

If he want it he must PM me. I will send it to him....

--------------------
Gear:

Guitars
Music Man Luke BFR , Music Man JP LTD 2008, Paul Reed Smith Santana III, Gibson Les Paul, Ovation Adamas, Ovation Ultra

Amps
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50 combo

Effects
Korg Pandora PX5D, Line 6 Pod XT Live

Recording
Guitar Rig 5, Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000, Magix MusicMaker2008

Visit My Website

+Quote Post
skennington
Dec 14 2010, 10:59 PM
QUOTE (playaxeman @ Dec 14 2010, 04:55 PM) *
Since when is a tabbed lesson (Muris his interpretation) copyrighted material?

If he want it he must PM me. I will send it to him....

That would be between you and Muris as far as the file sharing goes. Just don't post here on GMC.

+Quote Post
playaxeman
Dec 14 2010, 11:07 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (skennington @ Dec 14 2010, 10:59 PM) *
That would be between you and Muris as far as the file sharing goes. Just don't post here on GMC.

Sorry for not understanding it still.

Any member of GMC was able to download the GP file for months so why not share it on GMC between members. Don't understand what copyrights has to do with it atm. He could download the GP file until yesterday and now ...it is copyrighted material: is was Muris his own interpratation...

Only wanted to help another member, that what we here for aren't we... ...?

--------------------
Gear:

Guitars
Music Man Luke BFR , Music Man JP LTD 2008, Paul Reed Smith Santana III, Gibson Les Paul, Ovation Adamas, Ovation Ultra

Amps
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50 combo

Effects
Korg Pandora PX5D, Line 6 Pod XT Live

Recording
Guitar Rig 5, Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000, Magix MusicMaker2008

Visit My Website

+Quote Post
skennington
Dec 14 2010, 11:10 PM
QUOTE (playaxeman @ Dec 14 2010, 05:07 PM) *
Sorry for not understanding it still.

Any member of GMC was able to download the GP file for months so why not share it on GMC between members. Don't understand what copyrights has to do with it atm. He could download the GP file until yesterday and now ...it is copyrighted material: is was Muris his own interpratation...

Only wanted to help another member, that what we here for aren't we... ...?

I agree man but they were taken down for a reason, not quite sure why but if Kris had them removed, I'm sure he had good reasons behind it. The last thing he would want to do is take away from the quality of GMC for no apparent reason.

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Dec 15 2010, 01:24 AM
Dont mean to but in here,

but because we pay to be GMC members, anything that is posted in terms of lessons that uses exact chord progressions or melodies or tabs/sheet music from copyrighted songs is subjected to breaking copyright laws which in turn can cause a lot of problems. Thats why there are very strict guidelines of posting "in the style of" lessons.

while i do not agree with this, it is the law and Kris has to remove certain content to avoid getting huge fines or even being shut down.

if GMC was a 100% free website with no profit being made, it would not have mattered.

This post has been edited by Marc_Maiden: Dec 15 2010, 01:25 AM

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 15 2010, 02:44 AM
Copyright law can be a thorny issue. I"ve always avoided creating lessons with copyrighted material for that reason. In order to get around such things, each song would have to be negotiated with the publisher so the site could post tabs etc. This can get crazy expensive really quick. Otherwise, you are breaking copyright law and doing so across borders as this is an internationally used site so now you are looking at global copyright issues. Needless to say, the best way to avoid such problems is to avoid posting that kind of material.

If students post copyrighted material for sharing in a forum, it implicates the owners of a given site. Even if the owners didn't post it. I'm personally all about "Copy Left" and sharing everything but that's easy when you don't own any of the copyrights and aren't on the hook for anything.

Youtube videos (music videos you find on youtube) are generally ok if the publisher/owner has agreed to let youtube use them (many media companies have a revenue sharing deal with youtube) and the videos can be shared anywhere. The owner gets part of the ad revenue for the ads that run with the videos.

But posting tablature, mp3 files etc. of copyrighted music is just begging for trouble so it's best avoided so that we can keep our wonderful community here above board and open.

Todd

+Quote Post
skennington
Dec 15 2010, 03:45 AM
Well explained Marc and Todd, thanks for you input. These situations are very touchy as you have said...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:51 AM