Complete Newbie, where do i start
laval_umfress
Jun 24 2008, 06:17 PM
GMC:er
I hope someone can help me out here, i am completely new to music, i bought my first guitar a little over a year ago and it has sat in the stand collecting dust until yesterday when i signed up for this site, i dont know where to begin, i havent the slightest idea how to read music, or cords, and was hoping i could learn everything from this site, but all i have found so far are begginner videos for people that have already learned how to read music, can anyone help PLEASE biggrin.gif

Laval Umfress

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jun 24 2008, 06:26 PM
Lets go fishing!
Hey Laval! biggrin.gif

Im really glad you could join us. If you dont mind I will put this in the main Practice forum so you will get more replys and help smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
laval_umfress
Jun 24 2008, 06:32 PM
Thank you VERY much, i need all the help i can get. Please let me know where that post is at so i can see it, i had this one set up to e-mail me when i get replies biggrin.gif

Laval Umfress

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jun 24 2008, 06:37 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Well joining this site if definitely a good first step. smile.gif About reading music i assume you mean tab, just practice. If you want a quick explanation tab then i'll try and explain it. There are 6 lines the bottom most one being the low E string, the second bottom most one being the A string etc. Basically the lines represent the 6 strings of the guitar. A number on a line means to play that fret of that string. There is nothing to show rhythm in tab so you just have to do that by ear. The more you practice the more naturally reading tab will be.

Hope this helps. smile.gif

+Quote Post
rokchik
Jun 24 2008, 08:21 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (laval_umfress @ Jun 24 2008, 02:17 PM) *
I hope someone can help me out here, i am completely new to music, i bought my first guitar a little over a year ago and it has sat in the stand collecting dust until yesterday when i signed up for this site, i dont know where to begin, i havent the slightest idea how to read music, or cords, and was hoping i could learn everything from this site, but all i have found so far are begginner videos for people that have already learned how to read music, can anyone help PLEASE biggrin.gif

Laval Umfress

Welcome Laval smile.gif You will not be sorry you joined here man. It's the best place to learn how to play guitar. As for where to start well you can try a couple of things.

1. You can start with Kris's beginner series HERE It is a great place to start and it will give you a nice base to begin your practice routine.

2. You could create your own lesson plan by using the lesson planner on the main page It's in the middle of the page, a box marked "start here", and you can choose beginner, your prefered style ie rock and it will suggest some lesson for you. You can arrange them how you like and save the list. It's a great feature and one I use myself.

3. I'd also suggest maybe going over Andrew's theory lessons during your practice sessions here It starts with guitar parts and also some theory basics but also there is a lesson on reading tabs and music that may be beneficial to you.

I hope you find this helpful. If you have any questions at all man just fire away with them. Everyone here is really nice and eager to help out. Also the instructors have their own boards where you can ask them specific questions. If you haven't seen them they are HERE

Good luck and keep us posted as to how your doing smile.gif

rok

This post has been edited by rokchik: Jun 25 2008, 12:04 AM

+Quote Post
Gus
Jun 24 2008, 08:23 PM
Welcome!

On the main page there is a box named "start here" Just select beginner and style and see if you can find the thing you need.
If not, just come here and ask again.

You are in the forum where people are most helpful all over the internet! laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Gus: Jun 24 2008, 08:24 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Pablo Vazquez
Jun 24 2008, 08:50 PM
Instructor
Welcome Laval!!
Hey, everything you need, just ask!!! wink.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 24 2008, 08:59 PM
Instructor
If you have some questions, just ask for them, we'll be glad to help man smile.gif

Other great thing to do is search the forum, there's a lot of very useful info about starting up.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Henry Dietzel
Jun 24 2008, 09:04 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Hammerin Hank)
Welcome to GMC Laval. Everyone above has given you the right direction for starting off especially rok, if anything is confusing feel free to ask and we'll try to help you.

Good luck & rock on!!

--------------------
I have learned a lot, but I still have a lot to learn

Check out my video lessons

+Quote Post
skennington
Jun 25 2008, 01:23 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Welcome Laval. Rok gave you the exact place I started not so long ago. Learn the 6 classes that Kris has outlined. Once you feel comfortable with those, post "where do I go now". The reason I'm not telling you is because I want you to focus on the beginner kick off. Move at your own pace and ask questions along the way! smile.gif Then when you feel you are ready to move on, just ask and I promise you will get an overwhelming response.

+Quote Post
jdriver
Jun 26 2008, 03:39 AM
The lesson I found on here that really helped me get going in the right direction was Ivan's lesson here:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ming-exercises/

He starts very slow and shows you exactly what notes to play. He takes you through the 5 basic pentatonic box shapes, and this is one of the most essential things you will learn.

I suggest learn each one at slow speeds. Don't stay on the first one until you can play as fast as he does, or you'll be stuck there a long time! cool.gif

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Jun 26 2008, 04:27 AM
Singing Instructor
There are great teachers here who will help you,but you could go on the search,and find all the beginners lessons.
I think that that is a good way to start.smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
superize
Jun 26 2008, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
It is a good start to beginn with Kris 101 beginner lessons and then move on from there to other stuff depending on what style you like and then you can just use the lesson planner on the front page

Keep practising and you will be playing in no time

Cheers

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Jun 26 2008, 11:24 AM
Instructor
welcome Laval to the site smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:49 AM