2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Problem Recording A Video With Movie Maker, After 3 minutes video and audio are not synchronized
Fran
Nov 30 2008, 01:00 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Hi,

Yesterday I recorded my take on fear of the dark, 7 minutes, and I got the sound from Pandora and video from Logitech webcam.

Then I went to Movie Maker, as usual, to put both the .wmv and .mp3 files together into one vid, and it works fine from the beginning to the middle of the song, but it slowly starts to get unsynchonized, there's like a half second lag between sound and video, sound coming faster.

Why is that? Is there anyway to avoid that happenning? Is it Movie Maker's fault, my computer's (it's not very powerful), or something I might be doing wrong?

I don't have this problem when I record shorter videos, up to 2-3 minutes it's unnoticeable.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Nov 30 2008, 01:11 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Fran- i will really be interested in whatever solution you find to this....as i'm using exactly the same webcam (and the px5d) but with vegas to sync it......and am having the same problem.

I haven't found a solution as of yet...i'll let you know if i do though.

By the way- my pc is a beast and this problem occurs, so it may not be because you have a slow pc. Are you on xp or vista? Vista for me.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Fran
Nov 30 2008, 01:40 PM
XP here.

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:

Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!

+Quote Post
Vinod Saranga
Nov 30 2008, 01:50 PM
Acoustic Instructor
I also had that problem.It's because of mp3.Try to to record in .Wav.  smile.gif

Sometimes it might be after  rendering in Movie maker.

If so you can try different rendering formats.  smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Nov 30 2008, 02:06 PM
Get to da Chopper!
I actually use .wav , and it isnt just a post-rendering problem...as ill record video and audio then drag it into vegas to sync it- then find i have audio and video of different length!

I line them up and sync them, but they just drift out of sync.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 30 2008, 02:48 PM
Moderation Policy Director
I had this problem in the past and I suspect it is due to the webcam not accurately synching - maybe a limitation of webcams in general.

When I do the same with a MiniDV cam it works perfectly.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Fran
Nov 30 2008, 02:55 PM
I'll try the .wav solution next time I record the song just in case.

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Nov 30 2008, 02:48 PM) *
I had this problem in the past and I suspect it is due to the webcam not accurately synching - maybe a limitation of webcams in general.

What I do is record the video with the webcam and the audio through Pandora, and I obtain a .wmv video file and an .mp3 file. Then I close both Reaper and quickcam program and all I use is Movie Maker to put both files together into a vid with sound, and that's were the problem appears.
Funny thing is short (2 min) videos don't have a problem at all, it's only with longer ones that it happens.

Maybe it's due to the webcam's video recording, which adds some lag... if that's the case I guess there's no solution. I'll let you guys know if I manage to eliminate the lag.

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
Vinod Saranga
Nov 30 2008, 03:12 PM
Acoustic Instructor
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Nov 30 2008, 07:18 PM) *

Yes this supposes that it is  a problem in Webcam  smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 30 2008, 04:11 PM
Instructor
hmm, possibly you got some dropped frames during capturing of video mate. You can check out dropped frames usually in the status bar of the capturing applicaiton.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Fran
Nov 30 2008, 09:39 PM
One thing I didn't mention is that when I import the video in Movie Maker it "breaks" it in multiple smaller videos, although the original file was just one. I put them all into the timeline and in the end it's as if they were one.´

I guess that's normal movie maker behaviour though...

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 2 2008, 12:24 AM
Instructor
Hmm, did you make sure you properly aligned them mate? Possibly every brake added a bit of time to your video and this is why video is late.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Dec 2 2008, 12:34 AM
Instructor
I believe that the problem lies in mp3, try compressing a wave file to mp3 and then check it's length.. mp3 will be shorter smile.gif

Recording the sound in wave format (PCM uncompressed) will avoid the problem. I remember when I was recording the little finger workout lesson, I exported the backing to mp3 and then recorded the lead while listening the mp3 file, and when imported the recorded mp3 file to cubase it was out of sync.. so I stick to wave smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 2 2008, 05:55 PM
Ok I just tried making the movie rendering the sound as a .wav instead of .mp3 file, and with the .wav file the problem is much smaller!

Before (with mp3 as sound file) half the clip (7 minutes long) wasn't in synch. Now I manage to have almost the whole thing in synch, I only get a minor lag on the first or last minute (I can choose where by dragging the sound timeline in movie maker...), which isn't as big as before, so all in all I can tell that the .wav file minimized the problem quite a bit.

It's not 100% solved, but much better than before. Thanks guys.

And, of course, any further suggestions/tips to completely erradicate the problem are more than welcome wink.gif

This post has been edited by Fran: Dec 2 2008, 05:57 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Dec 2 2008, 06:25 PM
Instructor
You're welcome smile.gif

I never recorded video directly to WMV format, maybe this causes a problem as well, try if possible DV-AVI or MPEG smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 2 2008, 08:08 PM
I use the logitech program to record, and I'm afraid it only allows recording in .wmv

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 2 2008, 08:21 PM
Instructor
You can cut or slow down a video a bit to remove the issue mate.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 2 2008, 08:25 PM
Hmmm, how to slow it down or increase its speed?

I think it will be really hard to get the exact speed, at first it looks good, both sound an image, then after some minutes it starts to be out of synch.

Or I can also make it start a bit out of synch, and then after a minute it stays fine until the end. It's weird.

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 5 2008, 08:25 PM
Instructor
You can slow it down easily in Vegas, but if you use other video editing app, just cut the video a bit, and move it by a notch to the right in the part where you see the sync problem mate. I hope this can help.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 5 2008, 11:49 PM
Ok I see Ivan smile.gif, but wouldn't that leave a half-second blank screen in the middle of the vid?

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 6 2008, 12:47 AM
Instructor
The only way for that to work is to have such a small sync issue so the transition is not even noticeable. You mentioned that you have very small latency now, so you can sort of copy one small portion of the video from the previous frames and insert there. Of course if sync is out for half of second, than you should find another solution. Again I recommend using Vegas for this cause Movie Maker is lot less precise with these things.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:38 PM