Which Guitar Is Better?, buying a new guitar
Jmguitar64
Jun 25 2009, 04:24 AM
GMC:er
Hey GMC I have a guitar related question and I thought this would probly be a good place to ask.
I'm looking into getting either a schecter hellraiser c-1 fr or a blackjack atx c-1 fr. I have tried the hellraiser out in person (and loved it wub.gif ) but not the ATX.. After reading a few reviews about the ATX it sounds like it might be a better choice although its still a very close call..
I've also noticed theres alot of people asking for help in buying a guitar, I hope this question isnt to repetative for you all haha

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
coloneldrew
Jun 25 2009, 04:48 AM
Here's the best advice I can give you:

Play them both, equally. Listen for the tones you can achieve, feel for the ease of playability in bending, legato, tapping, and overall comfort of how it feels in your hands. That is what makes a guitar better than another.

A student of mine brought me a PRS Modern Eagle II, which goes from between $2000 - $5000, claiming it was the best guitar he'd ever played and that its better than anything else.

I played it for about 25 minutes and after a sufficient test on all the areas I look for in a guitar, I gave it back and said: "that's not for me".

I spent about $350 CAD on my crummy Ibanez RG321 Fixed bridge and its the PERFECT guitar for ME. So perfect I bought two of them.

All in all, its about how it feels to you. The guitar chooses the shredder, I always say.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
DickyB25
Jun 25 2009, 06:35 AM
Great advice Coloneldrew +1

I own a C1 ATX and what did it for me was the blackout pickups and ebony fretboard, but I wanted active pickups and prefer ebony. Schecter quality on mine is very good and I was impressed. So, either way you should get a great guitar.

This post has been edited by DickyB25: Jun 25 2009, 06:36 AM

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Jun 25 2009, 01:33 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I absolutely agree, definitely try to play both guitars yourself. If you can't then I would go for the one that you already tried and liked. It is better to rely on your own experience and taste than on a review that somebody else wrote.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jun 25 2009, 03:35 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
If you don't have the opportunity to play the Blackjack, I would definitely go with the Hellraiser since you have played it and loved it. Others may rank the blackjack higher...but if you get and it and don't agree...then their opinions don't really help you out! When I bought my C-1 Apocalypse, I was able to play both guitars you mentioned. I found them quite similar with no major differences between them. I would stick with the one you played...and already love!

This post has been edited by Praetorian: Jun 25 2009, 03:36 PM

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
Jun 26 2009, 05:13 AM
Learning Rock Star
The most important thing about a guitar is the sound and how comfortable you feel playing it (and how cool it looks, of course tongue.gif), and I believe the price has close to 0 significance, although it may guide you to guitars that potentially are of higher quality... smile.gif

In the end, your own experience playing the guitar is the ONLY thing that counts, and although prices, looks and reviews can be of some assistance filtering away "bad" guitars, you must never trust anything but your experience !

If you are on a quite limited budget, and can afford to wait some time before you try the other guitar, you should just wait until you get an opportunity to do so. This is only if you feel you may regret buying the one for the rest of your life ! biggrin.gif

Hope this helps ! I'm in a similar situation, although I will probably have the possibility to try all the guitars I want at Guitar Center ! biggrin.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel
Lost in all the 2000+ GMC lessons? Check my Lesson Plan

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Recording equipment/software
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
Jmguitar64
Jun 27 2009, 03:23 AM
Thanks for all the good advice! I agree that I should try them both out. which is why im going to try to get to guitar center sometime soon, but if the ATX is not in stock i'll have to go with the hellraiser. unfortunatly im on a tite budget so i wont beable to buy it full price at guitar center.. sad.gif .. so i'll have to go ebay or cregslist on it.. but mabye ill wind up with the money on time and actually beable to buy a non-used instrament haha

This post has been edited by Jmguitar64: Jun 27 2009, 03:24 AM

+Quote Post
sidewas lightnin...
Jun 27 2009, 01:43 PM
I don't think there's a whole ton of difference in tone in features, but I would get the hellraiser, because the binding and the quilt top make it look like a beast. wink.gif

--------------------
I spelled my username wrong...I didn't even think that was possible!

Look at the topic for my guitar...
Finished Guitar Build

Gear:
Homemade strat (You still need to look at its topic!)
Squier strat (probably going to get rid of it and get another guitar instead) :)
Line 6 spider amp (not actually used for anything, just acts as a speaker)
Digitech Gnx2 (kind of old, but cheap, and sounds amazing!)

+Quote Post
rickzore
Jun 27 2009, 02:01 PM
QUOTE (coloneldrew @ Jun 25 2009, 05:48 AM) *
Here's the best advice I can give you:

Play them both, equally. Listen for the tones you can achieve, feel for the ease of playability in bending, legato, tapping, and overall comfort of how it feels in your hands. That is what makes a guitar better than another.

A student of mine brought me a PRS Modern Eagle II, which goes from between $2000 - $5000, claiming it was the best guitar he'd ever played and that its better than anything else.

I played it for about 25 minutes and after a sufficient test on all the areas I look for in a guitar, I gave it back and said: "that's not for me".

I spent about $350 CAD on my crummy Ibanez RG321 Fixed bridge and its the PERFECT guitar for ME. So perfect I bought two of them.

All in all, its about how it feels to you. The guitar chooses the shredder, I always say.

great advice! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Rock on!

+Quote Post
Jmguitar64
Jun 28 2009, 01:37 AM
I tottally forgot about the guitar I was watching on ebay (schecter hellraiser fr) and it sold for a little more than 300$.. it was in perfect condition and as long as the seller wasnt hiding anything it would have been a good buy.. Have any of you heard of fake schecter guitars being sold on ebay and websites like it?

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jun 28 2009, 02:00 AM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
QUOTE (Jmguitar64 @ Jun 27 2009, 08:37 PM) *
I tottally forgot about the guitar I was watching on ebay (schecter hellraiser fr) and it sold for a little more than 300$.. it was in perfect condition and as long as the seller wasnt hiding anything it would have been a good buy.. Have any of you heard of fake schecter guitars being sold on ebay and websites like it?

I never have heard of fakes...but they may be out there. There was one large seller that I was watching who sells Schecter factory seconds. These guitars are brand new, but have very minor cosmetic flaws that you would find difficult to even notice if they weren't pointed out to you. They sell for CHEAP because of these flaws...I almost bought a Hellraiser from him! I will try to find his auctions...

Here is one -
http://cgi.ebay.com/SCHECTER-HELLRAISER-C-...%3A1%7C294%3A50

This post has been edited by Praetorian: Jun 28 2009, 02:02 AM

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Jmguitar64
Jun 28 2009, 02:39 AM
QUOTE (Praetorian @ Jun 27 2009, 06:00 PM) *
I never have heard of fakes...but they may be out there. There was one large seller that I was watching who sells Schecter factory seconds. These guitars are brand new, but have very minor cosmetic flaws that you would find difficult to even notice if they weren't pointed out to you. They sell for CHEAP because of these flaws...I almost bought a Hellraiser from him! I will try to find his auctions...

Here is one -
http://cgi.ebay.com/SCHECTER-HELLRAISER-C-...%3A1%7C294%3A50

Thats a good idea, but I really would like the neck to be in perfect condition especially on that guitar. the fret markers on it are a bit messed up. and also would like a floyd rose on it.. I really miss having a guitar that has a wammy bar.
good suggestion though i'll have to keep my eye out for factory seconds

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:22 PM