> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

22 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Timmy B's Mentoring Thread
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 25 2012, 12:15 AM
Instructor
Hey Timmy biggrin.gif this is your very own guitar mentoring thread, so, I thought we could start by telling me some thing about your musical background and knowledge (guitar and music oriented) plus a few of your favorite musicians/ bands. smile.gif

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Mar 26 2012, 09:52 PM
Learning Rock Star

Hi Cosmin,
Ok, Ive been playing guitar for nearly 10 years now. unfrotunatly not as seriously and dedicated as i should have . ( a couple years i actually stopped playing) But ive been very serious about it again for the last year or so. which is great! I also played clarinet and saxaphone in the school band when i was younger ( unfortunatly not anymore) I also use FL studio for creating electronic styleed music)

I used to play with people/bands in the past but ive been traveling a lot ( currently living in Holland) the last couple years, so not as much anymore. Played a lot as a bass player too. Guitar was mainly as a rythym player, so my lead/improv skills are lacking. Also like to play fingerpicked nylonstring. bach pieces ect...

I loved 90s punk when i was a kid, discovered metallica/megadeth/pantera and metal and it all went from there.
But i love so much different styles i cant list it all. but pretty much all classic rock and metal. I also Love Iron Maiden, FNM Also band s like LIVE, RHCP, AIC, Soundgarden, Ratm. ( stuff from my youth) ect... Random stuff like john Butler trio, cat stevens, jack johnson. also the blues like SRV the three Kings ect.. Pretty much anything with kick ass guitar work!
I also have a love of classical music, particulary barouqe era lute stuff, and also spanish/flamenco style. And as a byproduct of my old profession, I have a wierd obsession with Trance music. So yeah, a wierd mix. its turning into a never ending mission to hear everything.

Ok Knowledge, I understand the concepts of -- Major Scales, Circle of 5ths, open/closed triads + stacking 3rds, Triad inversions, Arpegios, Good knoweldge of chords and their construction. I can read sheet music ok. have on ok knowledge of modes and their relation to chords ( part of my current learning sceduel) Have a reasonably trained ear. (can Transcribe music when needed)

Im currently working on my picking Techniques as their out of date. Alt picking and sweeps, legato ect. Phrasing/leadwork and improv are also getting worked on.
But the main thing im wanting to work on next/ acheive, is being able to play what i hearing in my mind more easily and have more feel and spontaniousness ( Is that even a word!?) in my playing, to also improve my writing and composing skills, and to just be a great all round player.

Wow, ive ranted on more than was necasarry i think. my appologies. Hope that answers all your questions and i didnt forget anything. Thanks for time, and hope to hear from you soon.

Tim Blaha

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 28 2012, 08:56 AM
Instructor
Hey man!

I don't think you're ranting at all smile.gif it's good to know all you told me and I would like to suggest that we start with ear training and phrasing as tis is mainly what you need to do to be bale to express yourself, IF you can use the other things you told me about, regarding theory and technique smile.gif

Can you show me something audio/ video of you playing?

Cosmin

QUOTE (Timmy b @ Mar 26 2012, 08:52 PM) *
Hi Cosmin,
Ok, Ive been playing guitar for nearly 10 years now. unfrotunatly not as seriously and dedicated as i should have . ( a couple years i actually stopped playing) But ive been very serious about it again for the last year or so. which is great! I also played clarinet and saxaphone in the school band when i was younger ( unfortunatly not anymore) I also use FL studio for creating electronic styleed music)

I used to play with people/bands in the past but ive been traveling a lot ( currently living in Holland) the last couple years, so not as much anymore. Played a lot as a bass player too. Guitar was mainly as a rythym player, so my lead/improv skills are lacking. Also like to play fingerpicked nylonstring. bach pieces ect...

I loved 90s punk when i was a kid, discovered metallica/megadeth/pantera and metal and it all went from there.
But i love so much different styles i cant list it all. but pretty much all classic rock and metal. I also Love Iron Maiden, FNM Also band s like LIVE, RHCP, AIC, Soundgarden, Ratm. ( stuff from my youth) ect... Random stuff like john Butler trio, cat stevens, jack johnson. also the blues like SRV the three Kings ect.. Pretty much anything with kick ass guitar work!
I also have a love of classical music, particulary barouqe era lute stuff, and also spanish/flamenco style. And as a byproduct of my old profession, I have a wierd obsession with Trance music. So yeah, a wierd mix. its turning into a never ending mission to hear everything.

Ok Knowledge, I understand the concepts of -- Major Scales, Circle of 5ths, open/closed triads + stacking 3rds, Triad inversions, Arpegios, Good knoweldge of chords and their construction. I can read sheet music ok. have on ok knowledge of modes and their relation to chords ( part of my current learning sceduel) Have a reasonably trained ear. (can Transcribe music when needed)

Im currently working on my picking Techniques as their out of date. Alt picking and sweeps, legato ect. Phrasing/leadwork and improv are also getting worked on.
But the main thing im wanting to work on next/ acheive, is being able to play what i hearing in my mind more easily and have more feel and spontaniousness ( Is that even a word!?) in my playing, to also improve my writing and composing skills, and to just be a great all round player.

Wow, ive ranted on more than was necasarry i think. my appologies. Hope that answers all your questions and i didnt forget anything. Thanks for time, and hope to hear from you soon.

Tim Blaha

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Apr 4 2012, 07:02 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 28 2012, 07:56 AM) *
Hey man!

I don't think you're ranting at all smile.gif it's good to know all you told me and I would like to suggest that we start with ear training and phrasing as tis is mainly what you need to do to be bale to express yourself, IF you can use the other things you told me about, regarding theory and technique smile.gif

Can you show me something audio/ video of you playing?

Cosmin

Hi Cosmin,
I just figured out how this thread thing works! I didnt realise i'd gotten a message from you. My bad

I dont really have anything to show you playing wise, ill have to put something together. ( any suggestions?)
Im also figuring out how to post videos. Puting my stuff on the net was never really my thing.

So, a day or two and ill having something up for you.

Cheers
Tim

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 4 2012, 09:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Timmy b @ Apr 4 2012, 06:02 PM) *
Hi Cosmin,
I just figured out how this thread thing works! I didnt realise i'd gotten a message from you. My bad

I dont really have anything to show you playing wise, ill have to put something together. ( any suggestions?)
Im also figuring out how to post videos. Puting my stuff on the net was never really my thing.

So, a day or two and ill having something up for you.

Cheers
Tim

Hey Tim! You can make a youtube account and post the videos here, with the 'Embed' option on youtube smile.gif

you can pick up a lesson from here at GMC if you'd like, maybe something having both lead and rhythm? Pick one which you would like very much so that it ll be fun to learn wink.gif and record it

I can recommend one if you'd like!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Apr 5 2012, 08:55 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 4 2012, 08:58 PM) *
Hey Tim! You can make a youtube account and post the videos here, with the 'Embed' option on youtube smile.gif

you can pick up a lesson from here at GMC if you'd like, maybe something having both lead and rhythm? Pick one which you would like very much so that it ll be fun to learn wink.gif and record it

I can recommend one if you'd like!

Cosmin

Sure! What would you recommend?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 5 2012, 03:37 PM
Instructor
Alright man! How does this feel: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...-rhythm-lesson/ it's got rhythm and a bit of lead here and there smile.gif if it's too difficult, please let me know!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Apr 5 2012, 04:18 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 5 2012, 02:37 PM) *
Alright man! How does this feel: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...-rhythm-lesson/ it's got rhythm and a bit of lead here and there smile.gif if it's too difficult, please let me know!

Cosmin

Sweet man! I'll do a take for you!

Tim

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 6 2012, 07:14 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Timmy b @ Apr 5 2012, 03:18 PM) *
Sweet man! I'll do a take for you!

Tim

Great Tim! Looking forward to it wink.gif

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Apr 7 2012, 01:38 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Cosmin

Im having a bit of trouble getting a recording done for you. Never really done this before so im having some issues
Im using a program called "Debut video capture" But it seems capturing sound and video at once is to much for the computer to handle all at once, As having issues with Latency and syncing and just cant get a desent take done. Doesnt seem to be the right way to go

Im using a HP laptop (couple years old), and a Line 6 ux1 usb interface, by the way

Do you have any advice on how to tackle this problem. Any software recomendations, techniques, ect...?
Its staring to get a bit frustrating!!

Cheers

Tim

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 7 2012, 01:41 PM
Instructor
Hey bro! I got somethin for ya! There's this nifty little video here which will show you to the good stuff! Check it out:

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Apr 9 2012, 10:19 AM
Learning Rock Star
Ok, After an epic batle with technology, i've finnaly come out the winner!

So here's a take, the videos not synced that well, but will improve in the future.
The lesson wasn't too difficult, although gettining the "feel' was chalenging. will definetly need more work over time.
But you took me out of my "comfort zone" with this one, well done! smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxCCuykhBj8

Tim

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 10 2012, 11:12 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Timmy b @ Apr 9 2012, 09:19 AM) *
Ok, After an epic batle with technology, i've finnaly come out the winner!

So here's a take, the videos not synced that well, but will improve in the future.
The lesson wasn't too difficult, although gettining the "feel' was chalenging. will definetly need more work over time.
But you took me out of my "comfort zone" with this one, well done! smile.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxCCuykhBj8

Tim

Wow biggrin.gif Very good mate! I think the execution was top notch, but you still have a bit more work to make it groove, it's a bit rigid, but WELL DONE! I will most definitely share this to put a little light on you if you'd like smile.gif Now, let's see, you told me you want to develop some chops and work on phrasing and ear training in order to be able to use the axe as an instrument of self expression.

I think your level is pretty high and I can let you tackle some difficult stuff, true?

I would suggest we focus on AP, legato and articulation - these are the most important and used in my opinion, so please let me know if this is ok for ya and we can rock!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Apr 10 2012, 01:02 PM
Learning Rock Star

Hi Cosmin

Glad you like it, but like you said the groove is lacking! You can definetly share it if you like. Im also gonna do some rec's of other lessons ive done, should i post it here, or onto the usual forums?

We can try some more difficult lessons for sure, though some limitations will exist. The AP, legato and articulation will slowly fix that though,so good idea with those. Also I have just stared on "bens land of legato" so guess that a good first step!

Anyways, what lessons do you have in mind for me to work on. Im keen to get started!

Tim

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 11 2012, 10:03 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Timmy b @ Apr 10 2012, 12:02 PM) *
Hi Cosmin

Glad you like it, but like you said the groove is lacking! You can definetly share it if you like. Im also gonna do some rec's of other lessons ive done, should i post it here, or onto the usual forums?

We can try some more difficult lessons for sure, though some limitations will exist. The AP, legato and articulation will slowly fix that though,so good idea with those. Also I have just stared on "bens land of legato" so guess that a good first step!

Anyways, what lessons do you have in mind for me to work on. Im keen to get started!

Tim

hey man!

Here's what I have in mind for ya wink.gif another lesson implying groove so that you may hone the pulse and grooving in you:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/funk_l...saraceno_style/ this one has AP in it as well, so it'll work out on both directions wink.gif

For less intricate AP and if the above lesson feels nasty, we can try this one: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Hand-Basics/ it's pretty basic, but it's a good warm up smile.gif

Ben's series is top notch - keep on with it and when you feel ready, send a vid my way wink.gif

For articulation, I would recommend starting out with this one: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Vibrato-Odyssey/

How bout these mate? Post everything here first and then we can take it in the REC zone where you will be in the ring, so to say biggrin.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Apr 11 2012, 10:54 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Cosmin

Sounds great! I'll get started on them right away!

I'll post some stuff for you soon!

Cheers
Tim

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 11 2012, 09:03 AM) *
hey man!

Here's what I have in mind for ya wink.gif another lesson implying groove so that you may hone the pulse and grooving in you:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/funk_l...saraceno_style/ this one has AP in it as well, so it'll work out on both directions wink.gif

For less intricate AP and if the above lesson feels nasty, we can try this one: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Hand-Basics/ it's pretty basic, but it's a good warm up smile.gif

Ben's series is top notch - keep on with it and when you feel ready, send a vid my way wink.gif

For articulation, I would recommend starting out with this one: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Vibrato-Odyssey/

How bout these mate? Post everything here first and then we can take it in the REC zone where you will be in the ring, so to say biggrin.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 12 2012, 01:09 PM
Instructor
Awesomeness mate smile.gif I'm here if you need a hand along the way smile.gif

cheers

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Apr 12 2012, 02:08 PM
Learning Rock Star
Ok, Ive got one for ya!

http://youtu.be/wLMFQCYeBA8

Its the picking hand basics, ive done it before a few times and its easy one the surface, but after recording it a few flaws pop up in my playing. Nothing major i think, just needs more practicing i guess to tighten it up. I will pop it into my warm up folder.
Thought you could check it out though.

Also, Its quite interesting how different your sound is once its been recorded as opposed to what your ears actually percive.
Im staring to notice little flaws all over my playing ohmy.gif So definetly need to do more of this stuff

Also sorry about the guitar tone, it went a bit fuzzy when put into movie maker for some reason?

So enjoy, and ill get back to work

Cheers
Tim

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 13 2012, 09:33 AM
Instructor
Hey Tim! Looks good and sounds good - nice timing and it's tight. I especially like the fact that you are holding your pick parallel to the strings as to achieve a full bodied tone smile.gif

Let's see what's next!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Timmy b
Apr 23 2012, 09:47 AM
Learning Rock Star
Allright! Here we go!

Ive got a take on "Saraceno funk lesson" Unfortunatly its not quite spot on. I did this as a rough take before i hurt my pinkie.
Its got a couple little mistakes in there though.

http://youtu.be/ObqY5ZFUfPA

I took a few days off and started some light playing again today, tried to do a new take too, but just couldnt get one spot on.
Then i had the feeling in my pinkie again, so it seems its not quite finished healing itself yet sad.gif

So wondering what to do now. Im thinking of working on some less difficult things that dont involve the pinkie
Im going to finish memorizing my major scales to i can be more proficient with them when it comes to modes.
Also work on some theory behind chord progression and composition. bit of a weak spot there i think.
Do you have any sugestions?

Anyway, hope you like it mate.

Tim

+Quote Post

22 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:54 AM