2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Band Practice !
Ben Higgins
Jun 27 2011, 09:34 AM
Instructor
Hi all smile.gif

I normally practice with my band in the evening for about 2.5 hours but yesterday we played at a different hall and it was in the afternoon, from 1-5pm. It felt different of course and I'm not sure if I prefer practising in the daytime or evening..

So my question to you is this:

When is your preferred time for band practice ? Which do you find more productive and efficient ? smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Jun 27 2011, 09:35 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 27 2011, 09:58 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Well, I'm split. I'm used to play evening time but sometimes after a hard days work all the energy is lost.
I prefer earlier during the day but most of the time that's not very convenient.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 27 2011, 12:46 PM
Instructor
Any time can be good if the band members are up and ready for the rehearsal. As long as it is not in the early morning, it's OK in my book. We usually have rehearsals around 5-6PM. After rehearsals I'm usually tired, so it's better that they are towards the end of the day, finishing obligations during the day, and then off to band practice smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jun 27 2011, 12:52 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
I prefer the evening, as I dont get out much it feels like an evening out at the same time smile.gif

in years gone past preparing for gigs we have done afternoon to early evening stints, but I found we get more distracted coz theres more time

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jun 27 2011, 05:25 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 27 2011, 01:34 AM) *
Hi all smile.gif

I normally practice with my band in the evening for about 2.5 hours but yesterday we played at a different hall and it was in the afternoon, from 1-5pm. It felt different of course and I'm not sure if I prefer practising in the daytime or evening..

So my question to you is this:

When is your preferred time for band practice ? Which do you find more productive and efficient ? smile.gif

Evenings are way more "productive" for me in a band practice setting - cuz that's just rote work, trying to get everything tight. On the creative end of the spectrum though, mornings are way more "productive" for me. For some reason, when I first get up in the morning, think I'm still semi-unconscous state biggrin.gif . That's generally when I'm most creative, especially if there's some music playing, then by the end of the first song I hear, I'll have to turn it off and run to my computer and fire up Cubase cuz the inspiration has taken hold.

So productive in the creative sense for me is in the a.m., and productive in a band-setting is in the evening cuz the body's warmed up for playing.

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jun 27 2011, 05:27 PM
GMC:er
we usually "my band" do it from 3 pm till 6/7pm with a break of 1hour and a few jams i the middle q:

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 27 2011, 05:32 PM
Instructor
I find the evenings and nights more productive for rehearsing with the band... The musicians are usuallya bit sleepy during the morning and that makes the session un productive for me...
I also prefer composing in the night (or evening) instead of the morning.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 27 2011, 06:18 PM
Instructor
I'm probably similar to SirJamsalot in that I think (after thinking about it for a while) that evenings are way moire enjoyable for practice, not to mention the 'night out' feeling that Chris mentioned.. and I prefer to be creative in the day smile.gif

+Quote Post
Stephane Lucarel...
Jun 27 2011, 07:30 PM
Instructor
Both are great for me, but I find it's hard to drink beer in the morning... tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
manuh
Jun 27 2011, 07:45 PM
Learning Roadie
we practicing saturdays from 2pm till 6pm smile.gif

This post has been edited by manuh: Jun 27 2011, 07:45 PM

--------------------
check out my new band: Trip To New York

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jun 27 2011, 11:15 PM
Instructor
For us is the best late afternoon wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jun 28 2011, 01:40 AM
Learning Tone Master
having trouble understanding this thing you call a band ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 28 2011, 08:23 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jun 28 2011, 02:40 AM) *
having trouble understanding this thing you call a band ohmy.gif

A band - sometimes called a frequency band - is a specific range of frequencies in the radio frequency (RF) spectrum, which is divided among ranges from very low frequencies (vlf) to extremely high frequencies (ehf). Each band has a defined upper and lower frequency limit.

cool.gif

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Jun 28 2011, 08:24 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 28 2011, 09:49 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 28 2011, 08:23 AM) *
A band - sometimes called a frequency band - is a specific range of frequencies in the radio frequency (RF) spectrum, which is divided among ranges from very low frequencies (vlf) to extremely high frequencies (ehf). Each band has a defined upper and lower frequency limit.

cool.gif

Nice answer ! cool.gif

There's also something called a Wedding Band, the name given to a wedding ring smile.gif

Neither are to be confused with banned which means to be forbidden from something or somewhere wink.gif

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Jun 28 2011, 09:50 AM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 28 2011, 10:06 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 28 2011, 10:49 AM) *
Nice answer ! cool.gif

There's also something called a Wedding Band, the name given to a wedding ring smile.gif

Neither are to be confused with banned which means to be forbidden from something or somewhere wink.gif

biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 28 2011, 06:17 PM
Instructor
I usually compose or study during the day and rehearse with my bands during the evening, but starting from today until Friday, I'll be having rehearsals starting from 9 o'clock inn the morning till 5 o clock in the afternoon. I feel like I am floating right now...I need some rest, otherwise I'll go nutz! I hope I'll be able to enjoy these gigs on Friday and Saturday after all smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 28 2011, 06:24 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 28 2011, 06:17 PM) *
I usually compose or study during the day and rehearse with my bands during the evening, but starting from today until Friday, I'll be having rehearsals starting from 9 o'clock inn the morning till 5 o clock in the afternoon. I feel like I am floating right now...I need some rest, otherwise I'll go nutz! I hope I'll be able to enjoy these gigs on Friday and Saturday after all smile.gif

You need to chill, have a donut and come to my video chat ! cool.gif

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Jun 28 2011, 06:24 PM

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jun 28 2011, 06:34 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 28 2011, 01:49 AM) *
Nice answer ! cool.gif

Which reminds me of great Abbot & Costello line:

Marriage is a three ring circus.
First comes the engagement ring. Next, the Wedding Ring. Then comes the suffering

biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by SirJamsalot: Jun 28 2011, 06:35 PM

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Brandon Earman
Jun 28 2011, 10:54 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 28 2011, 03:49 AM) *
Nice answer ! cool.gif

Don't you love learning the English language? biggrin.gif They say it's one of the toughest languages to learn because there's so many exceptions and the rules aren't always constant.

--------------------
"That's alright I still got my guitar, look out now!" -Hendrix

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 29 2011, 09:28 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Brandon Earman @ Jun 28 2011, 10:54 PM) *
Don't you love learning the English language? biggrin.gif They say it's one of the toughest languages to learn because there's so many exceptions and the rules aren't always constant.

Yes, a lot of other languages are very literal and direct but English has so many opportunities to dance around the point without saying anything laugh.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:20 PM