Advanced chords lesson, Finally up after some bugs...
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 12 2007, 09:55 PM
GMC Founder
Advanced chords lesson

Woho,

Time for Pavel to show us yet a new side - with this truly informative lesson on constructing advanced chords - the first of it's kind here at gmc! biggrin.gif

Pavel has also upgraded his recording equipment - which has resulted in better video quality.

So after a bit of bugging we made it...! Please report if any bugs should remain!

Kristofer

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 12 2007, 10:54 PM
Instructor
Cool! The lesson is up! And i really like the video quality comparing it to my old lessons! Let's hear some feedback! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Feb 12 2007, 11:01 PM
Learning Rock Star
incredible lesson, been waiting for 1 like this. thank you so much

--------------------

But still I want answers, what's the point, what does all this mean?

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 12 2007, 11:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Stevie?Ray?Vaughn @ Feb 12 2007, 11:01 PM) *
incredible lesson, been waiting for 1 like this. thank you so much

Hey thanks man! Well as most of the stuff at GMC i based on distortion i think i'll work on more stuff like this! I think as i mentioned in the lesson the importance of knowing chords shapes - i will make a lesson with lots of shapes switching.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

+Quote Post
Ikaros
Feb 13 2007, 01:48 AM
GMC:er
Beautiful piece Pavel. This will be a joy to practice and learn!

--------------------
Webpage:
- http://www.myspace.com/yngwie100
Equipment:
- Fender Standard Stratocaster
- Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks
- Roland Cube-20X modeling amp
- Boss FS-6 Dual Footswitch
- DOD YJM308 Overdrive (optional)
- Boss DS-1 Distortion (optional)
- Marshall MG15CD amp (spare)

+Quote Post
Guitar Master123
Feb 13 2007, 02:02 AM
Next you should post a lesson on how you create these incredible solos!

--------------------
Country
Rap
Hip-Hop
Altenative
Punk
Classical
Reggae
Gospel
Heavy Metal
BlueGrass
Rock N' Roll

Mahalo!
Merry X-Mas
And a Happy New Year!

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 13 2007, 02:10 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Guitar Master123 @ Feb 13 2007, 02:02 AM) *
Next you should post a lesson on how you create these incredible solos!

What solos do you mean? The lessons?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Feb 13 2007, 02:13 AM
Learning Rock Star
Make a lesson on how to string riffs together to make a song?

--------------------

But still I want answers, what's the point, what does all this mean?

+Quote Post
crabman
Feb 13 2007, 06:01 AM
Great lesson Pavel. Can anyone tell me where I can learn how to do different chord shapes for improvising?

+Quote Post
Guitar Master123
Feb 13 2007, 06:04 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Feb 13 2007, 01:10 AM) *
What solos do you mean? The lessons?

No. A lesson on how to make a solo of our own.

--------------------
Country
Rap
Hip-Hop
Altenative
Punk
Classical
Reggae
Gospel
Heavy Metal
BlueGrass
Rock N' Roll

Mahalo!
Merry X-Mas
And a Happy New Year!

+Quote Post
bricktop
Feb 16 2007, 03:32 AM
great lesson Pavel, I really enjoyed it! I have a question about your chord progression though.

You started off with an E Maj, so would you say the piece stays in the Key of E? Or does it change, because I thought the major scale of E has these basic chords:
E Maj
F# min
G# min
A Maj
B Maj
C#min
D# dim.

But your progression has a G Maj, and F#Maj with embellishments, out of key chords for "E", but they sound good, so can you explain the theory behind the progression?

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Fender
Acoustic Guitars:
Amplifiers: Fender Blues Junior NOS
Effects:

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 16 2007, 11:30 AM
Instructor
Hey thanks for the question!

Well i think i'll have to dissapoint you sad.gif but when i am composing i don't think in progressions or scales that are "100% theory approved"! I pick up 2 - 3 chords and jam with them, and the so called "progression" simply develops from jaming. The key here is E major during the whole song. That G major sounded so cool to me there that i just wasn't thinking about was it in the scale or not.

That's why i always say that composing has a lot to do with improvising, you just have to sit and improvise around the main theme you got in your head! Sometimes you'll get stuff that sounds great but simply doesn't go with theory! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bricktop
Feb 18 2007, 07:54 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Feb 16 2007, 11:30 AM) *
Hey thanks for the question!

Well i think i'll have to dissapoint you sad.gif but when i am composing i don't think in progressions or scales that are "100% theory approved"! I pick up 2 - 3 chords and jam with them, and the so called "progression" simply develops from jaming. The key here is E major during the whole song. That G major sounded so cool to me there that i just wasn't thinking about was it in the scale or not.

That's why i always say that composing has a lot to do with improvising, you just have to sit and improvise around the main theme you got in your head! Sometimes you'll get stuff that sounds great but simply doesn't go with theory! wink.gif

Well that's cool knowing you can throw in chords that are outside of the scale as they long as they sound good. But answer this question, wouldn't it be more of a challenge to solo over when you have chords that are outside of they key, I guess you'd have to be aware of the change so the solo didn't sound harsh over those certain chords...

john

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Fender
Acoustic Guitars:
Amplifiers: Fender Blues Junior NOS
Effects:

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 18 2007, 12:24 PM
Instructor
Sure! Than you'll have to sit with that "weird" progression and jam over and over again to get the progression feel so it becomes comfortable for you. You won't be able to stay in just one scale.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 18 2007, 03:08 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Pavel @ Feb 18 2007, 06:24 AM) *
Sure! Than you'll have to sit with that "weird" progression and jam over and over again to get the progression feel so it becomes comfortable for you. You won't be able to stay in just one scale.

The genius is in breaking the rules and getting away with it - some can do it (my co-writer can, I can't). The rules are there to guide you at first, but they are not set in stone. If something sounds good, it doesn't matter what rules it breaks. My favorite analogy is this:

When you learn martial arts, you spend a lot of time doing formal exercises, called Kata. A lot of people mistake that for the art itself, but it is only a framework to hang your skill on. At some stage you move beyond the framework, safe in the knowledge that it has trained your reactions to do the right thing, but you are no longer bound to its literal interpretation.

I think its the same with music. Another example is scales. We all play scales, but at some stage you move beyond the boxes and learn to use the notes themselves in a connected way regardless of the box. Is that cheating? No, it just means that the scales have done their job in training your reactions, and you are no longer a slave to them.

The theory is NOT music, its just a way of nailing it down enough that we can learn it, and then be free to express ourselves. But, the essential point is that you need to have learn't the theory to have any hope of progressing beyond it.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 18 2007, 03:42 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Feb 18 2007, 03:08 PM) *
The genius is in breaking the rules and getting away with it - some can do it (my co-writer can, I can't). The rules are there to guide you at first, but they are not set in stone. If something sounds good, it doesn't matter what rules it breaks. My favorite analogy is this:

When you learn martial arts, you spend a lot of time doing formal exercises, called Kata. A lot of people mistake that for the art itself, but it is only a framework to hang your skill on. At some stage you move beyond the framework, safe in the knowledge that it has trained your reactions to do the right thing, but you are no longer bound to its literal interpretation.

I think its the same with music. Another example is scales. We all play scales, but at some stage you move beyond the boxes and learn to use the notes themselves in a connected way regardless of the box. Is that cheating? No, it just means that the scales have done their job in training your reactions, and you are no longer a slave to them.

The theory is NOT music, its just a way of nailing it down enough that we can learn it, and then be free to express ourselves. But, the essential point is that you need to have learn't the theory to have any hope of progressing beyond it.

To summarize it one could say the following...

- In the beginning you suck

- When you have learned some theory - your riffs/chord progressions start sounding good

- Once you have understood the "standard way" of doing things - then is your chance to break away and sound original - by breaking the rules - as mentioned! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:27 AM