Rock Is Machist
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 10 2011, 04:31 PM
Instructor
Hey guys! Today was published an interview of my band (Cirse) in the most important newspaper here (printed & online). The tittle of the article is "Rock is machist".
This is the link: http://www.si.clarin.com/rock-machista_0_496750323.html
You can use google translator to read the article.

I would like to know.. do you agree that rock is machist? do you like rock/metal bands with girls? which bands do you like?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jun 10 2011, 04:53 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
A couple of weeks ago I opened a thread looking for Death Metal bands with female vocalists. I actually enjoy female fronted rock bands, and there are quite a lot so I don't think rock is machist (anymore).
As for the bands, I really like Cirse wink.gif , Die Happy (German band that sounds close to Cirse, you should check them out), The Agonist, Crucified Barbara, Arch Enemy...just to name a few.

Christian

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 10 2011, 05:30 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jun 10 2011, 12:53 PM) *
A couple of weeks ago I opened a thread looking for Death Metal bands with female vocalists. I actually enjoy female fronted rock bands, and there are quite a lot so I don't think rock is machist (anymore).
As for the bands, I really like Cirse wink.gif , Die Happy (German band that sounds close to Cirse, you should check them out), The Agonist, Crucified Barbara, Arch Enemy...just to name a few.

Christian

yeah! here in Argentina it seems that we are always like 10 years delayed to what happens in Europe or in USA. This doesn't mean that we don't have modern bands but the people needs some time to assimilate national bands that sound too modern. The same happens with the girls in rock... we haven't had a band like No Doubt, Garbage, Four non blondes, that could be that big yet.

This is the part of the article where Luciana talks about it...

Has been a cons to have a female girl as singer?
- it was very difficult for us that people pay attention to our music. When we began, in 2004, many people were thinking that the girl cannot rock. These years Evanescence was starting sounding. The rock is a machist enviroment.

I knew Die Happy some years ago when people compared us with them! I like them! and we are also compared to The Agonist just because of the hair of our singer.. she uses to have it violet or blue... people say that The Agonit's singer is her sister... hahahha laugh.gif
We are usually compared with Paramore... even accused of copying them! I don't agree with this! mad.gif We played for 8 years, and composed two albums without knowing about their existence... when we starting the band people said that we where the Argentinian version of Evanescence...

so as you can see,, comparisons are something that we are use...

Do you find this song closer to Evanescence or Paramore? ohmy.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Fran
Jun 10 2011, 05:38 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
No way! I love female fronted bands cool.gif

Just read the last post, fast answer, no!, and that coming from a guy that loves Cirse, Paramore and Evanescence.

If anything you guys have the looks similar to Paramore, specially now that Luciana colored her hair hehe smile.gif But your sound and style is definitely different.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jun 10 2011, 06:11 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Doesn't sound like any of the two bands, sounds more like Cirse laugh.gif could also be a Die Happy song wink.gif
Seriously, people will always compare a new band to something they already know. Back when Die Happy became somewhat bigger in Germany, they were compared to the Guano Apes, a german band with a female singer that were pretty big at that time. I'm surprised you know Die Happy, never knew they were known outside Germany. They put up a great live show!

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 10 2011, 06:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Fran @ Jun 10 2011, 01:38 PM) *
No way! I love female fronted bands cool.gif

Just read the last post, fast answer, no!, and that coming from a guy that loves Cirse, Paramore and Evanescence.

If anything you guys have the looks similar to Paramore, specially now that Luciana colored her hair hehe smile.gif But your sound and style is definitely different.

hahah thank you Fran! yeah, but when people says that about the hair colour I usually share these photos.. see them and make your own conclusions... tongue.gif

Cindy Lauper
Attached Image

Garbage
Attached Image

Letters to Cleo
Attached Image

QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jun 10 2011, 02:11 PM) *
Doesn't sound like any of the two bands, sounds more like Cirse laugh.gif could also be a Die Happy song wink.gif
Seriously, people will always compare a new band to something they already know. Back when Die Happy became somewhat bigger in Germany, they were compared to the Guano Apes, a german band with a female singer that were pretty big at that time. I'm surprised you know Die Happy, never knew they were known outside Germany. They put up a great live show!

Die Happy is a very good band and they are not too known here... people who likes rock with girls and likes to investigate about it know them but they never sound in a radio here... I knew them just because somebody said that they sounded like us and now I use to hear their music.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Fran
Jun 10 2011, 06:33 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
h man, I love Garbage too laugh.gif

Maybe it's the hair then hahahaah

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 10 2011, 06:43 PM
Instructor
It is wierd how people will compare bands due to a visual similarity or a gender issue rather than musically !

But to answer your main question, I think rock has been a very male environment but it is now less male orientated than it's ever been. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 10 2011, 07:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Fran @ Jun 10 2011, 02:33 PM) *
h man, I love Garbage too laugh.gif

Maybe it's the hair then hahahaah

hahaha yeah, great band and great producer in the band too! (Butch Vig)

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 10 2011, 02:43 PM) *
It is wierd how people will compare bands due to a visual similarity or a gender issue rather than musically !

But to answer your main question, I think rock has been a very male environment but it is now less male orientated than it's ever been. smile.gif

yes, I agree.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 10 2011, 10:50 PM
Instructor
Well, not sure man, there are lots of cool female singers, and I think they can be great - it depends on the person. I have lots of respect for female musicians (that play instruments) too. Unfortunately, because women are rare on stage (compared to male musicians), sometimes they get unfair special treatment. I've known possibly 3-4 female singers over the years that can really sing, and act on stage properly. Other female singers are usually noticed just because they are females. In those times, it's hard to differentiate business opinion from personal opinion, if you know what I mean, so I won't discuss it no more, simply because I try not to look at things like that. For me it goes like this:

It's all about being original enough, real, standing up to what you believe. If you have a female singer in a a band, if all bandmembers believe that it's the right way to go - then it's cool, it will be the right way.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:33 PM