> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Neoclassical Solo For Beginners, Lesson By Emir Hot
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 1 ] ** [25.00%]
8 [ 3 ] ** [75.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 4

GDRev
Feb 25 2021, 07:02 PM
Learning Roadie
Original lesson: Neoclassical Solo For Beginners by Emir Hot

This was a hard one to record as it was a first time that I was filming myself to post for an evaluation! Or anyone to see really. Somehow, despite getting it right many times before, once I started filming I managed to make at least one mistake in many takes before finally managing to ''chill'' and get it (at least somewhat) right.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 25 2021, 08:05 PM
Instructor
Hi REV! Congrats on your first REC take!

You did a great job here! Your guitar tone and overall video quality are very good. Your playing is precise, clean, and your timing very tight. I can say that your technique is very promising. There are not many things to fix here.

Your vibrato is good, sometimes is a bit irregular, and other times it starts too soon, but I must say that you know how to do it. There are some vibratos that are totally amazing. You just need to make it consistent all along the take.

Some other small details:

- Polish the slide at 00:24.
- Review rhythm at 00:48.
- Try to relax a bit more your hands while playing.

I think that you can continue playing this one but you are ready for the following step! It's an 8!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 26 2021, 12:58 PM
GMC Founder
Awesome!

Congrats on your first REC take and congrats on your first 'virtual gig' - and the insights that usually follow. If you can perform this well when recording yourself for the first time - I am sure we will get to see much more amazing playing from you.

As Gab said your vibrato is really good - and this stands out - as it takes quite some time and effort to develop a good vibrato.

However, we can see a big difference between your downward vibrato on the lower strings (which rocks) and your upward vibrato on the higher/thinner strings. The later needs more work, and technique-wise you must treat it like a totally different animal. You should still try to phrase it the sam way, but you will find other muscles in your arm need to be used.

Overall this is a killer take and I'm so happy to have you on board 👊Well done, you get an 8 from me

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 27 2021, 12:35 AM
GMC:er
Well done!! Super congrats on your first REC. This is a bold step to be sure. You picked one that requires quite a bit of skill and some stones as well. You jumped in the tall weeds and started swinging and I gotta give props where it's due. As the other guys have said, it's great to see you using vibrato at such a high level. It's not tepid or shallow, it's deep and wide as it should be and it swells up from being small to big and back just as it should. I did notice that your high string vibrato could use a pinch more muscle in it but I think will come with time. You've got the feeling for how it should sound, clearly. Also, your picking is solid, hand synch is tight, and pick strikes are clean. In short well played!!

Tod

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 15 2021, 04:49 PM
Instructor
Hey there!

Congratulations on your first appearance in REC zone. BTW...SG in gold-top finish looks great.

First impression is good. from a typical listener's point of view it is a descently prepared solo.

Now from a educational point of view there are little flaws to fix. Easiest to fix is intonation. Some notes sound a little out of tune. Remember that strings do stretch while playing and they do loose some tension on bends and vibrato, if you didn't stretch them enough before playing. Keep in mind if the last tuning peg move was loosing the tension, the string will loose even more while playing (will drop the pitch) Tuning process is slightly more complicated if you want to be 100% accurate.

Watch out for "over-bending" when you do the vibrato.

You are not 100% accurate timing-wise. It sounds acceptable overall but at some spots you rush and at some other you play behind the beat.

0:49 in this section you play wrong rhyhtm - ringing notes shoul be hit exactly at second beat of the bar. You play them at "1 &".

0:37 and at least 2 more spots you play these ascending notes with breaks (split) while Emir playes them with clear legato (while skipping form string to string we still can play legato or staccato). This clear split feel does not fit to this mellow track and sense of phrasing. You need to stop muting them.

Sometimes it is worth to copy exact picking direction of original lesson. There are moments when construction of the lick makes it easier to start downwards even on the weak beats in the bar but if you look closely...on every other straight forward run, startting at "3 &" Emir starts the lick with an upstroke (Like 0:06 to 0:10 of Emir's video). This has to a lot to do with natural balance of hand etc...same as swiming....you let the air out once your head is under the water, and take a breath when you take it out to above. Not the opposite. It's difficult to explain why does this have so much importance for your future playing. You need to put some trust smile.gif

+Quote Post
Fran
Apr 30 2021, 08:23 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 7.75

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:48 AM