Youtube Shorts - Gaining Traction Vs The Algo
Todd Simpson
Oct 25 2021, 08:52 PM
GMC:er
Getting traction just got a bit easier on youtube. In the rush to try out “tik tok” the tik tok app, youtube and instagram have both created a very tik tok like feature. On instagram it’s called “Reels” and on youtube it’s called “Shorts”.

On youtube, “Shorts” are videos that are Vertical, and 60 seconds or less. So these should be shot vertically or if you upload vids they will be made in to vertical vids even if you shot them horizontal. You can use the multi segment feature to stitch several vids together, just like on tik tok. You can add stock music/sounds and text, and effects, just like tik tok. You can upload shorts right from your phone, but not from your desktop browser. Once a viewer is watching shorts, they can start scrolling through more of them, again just like tik tok. Starting to see a pattern here? So who cares?

Well, folks are way into very short vids just now. Thats why this feature exists. As a result, This is a great way to actually get some traction on youtube which has been getting very hard to do under the current algo. I have noticed this myself lately. I put up a short video on my channel and then put the same video up on shorts. The vid on my channel got almost zero tractio,. 50 views the first week. After I put the same exact video on shorts, it hit 1,500 views the first week. I used a different thumbnail on both Hotone Soul Press vids, and slightly different title, but that seemed to have little impact.

Attached Image

I started adding shorts once every few days. I noticed spikes in my viewership for each day that I added a short. Also, my average monthly views almost DOUBLED. The shorts are the spikes on the graph below.

Attached Image

To get started, just open the youtube app on your phone and click shorts and you can shoot or upload a vid to the shorts section. You can then add a shorts section to your youtube channel page. Here is a tutorial on creating shorts.

As a bonus, you can post your shorts vids on Instagram and on Tiktok. Some folks don’t like to repost content. However, these audiences do not always overlap and your tik tok or IG followers may not even watch youtube as viewers tend to group on a given app. This one is up to you. Also, you take any existing video content you have, make a vertical video out of it, and use it as a short. So you can recycle your content to get started rather than having to create all new content. But again, up to you. The good news is that this feature is allowing more people to get real traction as there is so much viewer demand for shorts content. Also, many youtubers are not taking advantage of this as they either don’t know about it or can’t be bothered. It’s a great way to get some momentum for your music/content/etc. If you have been frustrated with how hard it is to get eyeballs on youtube, this could get the eyeballs rolling.

*Speaking of "shorts" check out this short phrase lesson!
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Short-Phrase-Blues/

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 25 2021, 09:04 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 26 2021, 07:02 AM
GMC Founder
Very interesting that you just had to republish the same video. That clearly shows the algo is looking for new content.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 26 2021, 09:12 PM
GMC:er
Well said! Yeah the churn rate for shorts is very high. Sine they are so brief, the algo needs tons of them. I plan on reposting some other content just to see if it gains some traction. so far, it's been a great way to drive traffic. Shorts accounts for the biggest part of views on my channel just now.

Attached Image
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Oct 26 2021, 02:02 AM) *
Very interesting that you just had to republish the same video. That clearly shows the algo is looking for new content.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:44 PM