Seymout Duncan Blackouts Or Emg's, Whats best for my jackson?
Guitarman700
Nov 26 2008, 05:09 PM
GMC:er
My guitar is a Jackson DK2T Dinky, heres the specs;
Body Species:
Alder with Flame Maple Veneer on Transparent Colors

Electronics:
Bridge Pickup:
Seymour Duncan® JB™ TB4 Humbucking Pickup

Neck Pickup:
Seymour Duncan® Jazz™ SH2N Humbucking Pickup

Pickup Switching:
3-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups Position 3. Neck Pickup

Controls:
Master Volume,
Master Tone

Hardware:
Black

Bridge:
JT390 Adjustable Bridge with Strings-Through-Body

The Duncans in the guitar are great, but i REALLY want some actives in there as i tune down to C or even B alot.
I was considering the Blackouts, but was looking at the EMG 81/85 as well.
Can anyone with experience with either of rhese pickups give me some advice?
This is the guitar i use for Death and black metal and the like.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jer
Nov 26 2008, 05:14 PM
I have a Jackson with an 81 in the bridge. Love it.

I have an ESP LTD MH-400 with the 81/85 combo. Love it.

I have not tried the Blackouts but have asked a lot of questions regarding them. The consensus I get is they are abit higher output but it is adjustable upon installation of the pickup. I also heard that they are compatible with EMGs. So you could mix it up if you wanted. EMG in the neck, Blackout in the bridge...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
skennington
Nov 26 2008, 05:21 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
QUOTE (jer @ Nov 26 2008, 11:14 AM) *
I have a Jackson with an 81 in the bridge. Love it.

I have an ESP LTD MH-400 with the 81/85 combo. Love it.

I have not tried the Blackouts but have asked a lot of questions regarding them. The consensus I get is they are abit higher output but it is adjustable upon installation of the pickup. I also heard that they are compatible with EMGs. So you could mix it up if you wanted. EMG in the neck, Blackout in the bridge...

Same here. 81/85 in a DK2M. Harmonics are awesome and sustain should be even better in your string-through. A bit quiter as well if you are recording around other electronics. I think EMG pickups have an internal pre-amp, which not only makes the pickup louder, it also reduces the noise.

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Nov 26 2008, 05:48 PM
I just ordered a Schecter Hellraiser with 81/85s I'll let you know how they are... I only tried blackouts once and they seemed comparable to EMGs.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Nov 26 2008, 08:34 PM
Learning Tone Master
It's not THAT much of a diffrence between the two... EMGs are classics but some artists turned to the Blackouts as they are somewhat of a slightly more organic version of standard emgs

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
kjutte
Nov 26 2008, 08:49 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Nov 26 2008, 08:34 PM) *
It's not THAT much of a diffrence between the two... EMGs are classics but some artists turned to the Blackouts as they are somewhat of a slightly more organic version of standard emgs

Sounds about right to me. Duncan is known for versatility also.

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Nov 27 2008, 12:00 AM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
I just spent a ton of time at Guitar Center playing different guitars with EMG 81/85's and Blackouts to compare the two. I ended up getting the EMG 81/85 Kerry King set to put in my Ibanez. The EMG's were just BRUTAL! The Blackouts were very good sounding too...but sounded like they were more aimed at being a "well-rounded" pickup going for cleaner highs than the EMG's. The EMG's are all metal...and they sound KILLER!!! \m/

Keep in mind...this is just my opinion!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
jer
Nov 27 2008, 01:32 PM
Same here. 81/85 in a DK2M.

WHat color DK2M ya got Skennington?

White here. Yours came with stock duncans and you swapped em out for 81/85?

What was the biggest change you noticed?

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
skennington
Nov 27 2008, 02:38 PM
QUOTE (jer @ Nov 27 2008, 07:32 AM) *
WHat color DK2M ya got Skennington?

White here. Yours came with stock duncans and you swapped em out for 81/85?

What was the biggest change you noticed?

Actually Jer, It's a limited run "White Bengal" I bought it last year through AMS as a factory 2nd for the same price as a regular DK2M. These come from the factory with the 81/85 combo.I have played one with the Duncan designed p/up's and imo, no comparison. Here I am with it in Ivan's Rockabilly collab...

Rockabilly_Collab.wmv

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Nov 27 2008, 04:14 PM
Instructor
I tried the blackouts once on a Schecter through a Marshall top (cant remember which model) at a local store.
Well, i think the guitar was blackout equipped smile.gif
Anyhuu, i thought it rocked! Sound was dense and heavy yets still clear but they werent as full-on metal as a 81/85 EMG combo.
Personally i wouldnt mind having blackouts in a guitar, but i think i would still use the EMG's as my main sound.

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Nov 27 2008, 04:14 PM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
vikingraider1
Nov 28 2008, 08:35 AM
If anyone is using EMGs, there is a great modification you can make which is dirt cheap and requires no drilling or routing. Some clever fellow on Ebay has devised a 24-volt power pack to replace the standard 9v battery. This extra voltage makes a big difference to the sound of active EMGs giving them less of a gritty, compressed sound and a much wider tonal range. For the money its a no-brainer really. I won't post links to ebay on here (Not sure what the policy is, but if you search on the UK ebay site for EMGs you should see it.

--------------------
My Gear
Washburn USA Custom Shop Idol, Washburn WI65 Idol, Washburn WI64 Idol, Schecter C-1 Exotic, Schecter C-1 Stealth, Washburn WI66ANC Nick Catanese Signature, 1980s Burny Les Paul, Peavey Wolfgang Standard, Peavey 5150 MKI Combo, Marshall DSL 201, Morely Mark Tremonti Wah, Decimater Noise Gate, Zoom G2 1.u, Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster,
Basses:
Fender Jazz Bass, Fender Precision, Warwick Corvette 5 String

+Quote Post
bamba23
Nov 28 2008, 12:09 PM
emg,if i were u il put the emg

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Nov 28 2008, 01:12 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys, Ive decided to go with the Backouts, I really like their more "organic" tone, and the Schecter i played with them was just Brutal!
Again, Thanks for all the advice!

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
jer
Nov 28 2008, 06:36 PM

Actually Jer, It's a limited run "White Bengal" I bought it last year through AMS as a factory 2nd for the same price as a regular DK2M. These come from the factory with the 81/85 combo.I have played one with the Duncan designed p/up's and imo, no comparison. Here I am with it in Ivan's Rockabilly collab...

Wow! Thats really cool!!!!!

Yeah, DUncan Designed's are crap......

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Nov 29 2008, 03:22 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I'd always go for teh EMG's, they can turn a guitar into a weapon wink.gif But since I dnever tried the duncans I can't really compare both.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Wilska
Nov 29 2008, 05:30 PM
In my other guitar, my old Jackson Kelly I installed the standard EMG metal-setup, and in my newest guitar I exchanged the original EMG HZ (or something like that) with seymour duncan blackout. To me the Blackouts sound meaner and better, however. The difference is _not_ spectacular. I think it comes down how every person feels when playing the different pickups.

--------------------
------ Wilska's Gear ------

Guitars: Gibson Flying V Faded '67, ESP Ltd Alexi 600, Jackson Kelly KE3
Pickups: SD Blackout, Emg 81/85
Amp: Krank Rev Jr Pro
Effects: Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah, Digitech Hardwire CM-2, Digitech Hardwire DL-8, MXR Phase 90
Recording: Blackstar HT-DistX, Line6 Pod X3 Live
Pick: Dunlop Jazz III XL black, Dunlop Ultex Sharp 1.14 and 1.40
Strings: GHS Boomers 10-52, Rotosound 10-46

+Quote Post
vikingraider1
Nov 30 2008, 01:09 AM
To be honest, Bare Knuckle pickups leave anything EMG and Seymour Duncan standing still. Bare Knuckle are expensive but the sound and tone is unbelievable.

--------------------
My Gear
Washburn USA Custom Shop Idol, Washburn WI65 Idol, Washburn WI64 Idol, Schecter C-1 Exotic, Schecter C-1 Stealth, Washburn WI66ANC Nick Catanese Signature, 1980s Burny Les Paul, Peavey Wolfgang Standard, Peavey 5150 MKI Combo, Marshall DSL 201, Morely Mark Tremonti Wah, Decimater Noise Gate, Zoom G2 1.u, Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster,
Basses:
Fender Jazz Bass, Fender Precision, Warwick Corvette 5 String

+Quote Post
skennington
Nov 30 2008, 01:15 AM
QUOTE (vikingraider1 @ Nov 29 2008, 07:09 PM) *
To be honest, Bare Knuckle pickups leave anything EMG and Seymour Duncan standing still. Bare Knuckle are expensive but the sound and tone is unbelievable.

I agree!!! But $350 for a set.. blink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:08 PM