Need Help With Mixing/eq, which version of this song is better?
sentia
Dec 22 2011, 05:27 PM
GMC:er
hi GMC,

i'm having a lot of trouble making the music i record sound good/professional. it might be due partly to my recording technique, but i'm also a noob at mixing so i was wondering if you guys could give me some tips or advice

here are two versions of the same song:

http://soundcloud.com/sentientecho/dusk

which one sounds better? can you hear any difference at all? any tips on mixing the vocal tracks and guitar would also be greatly appreciated...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dark dude
Dec 22 2011, 05:51 PM
From a purely listener's point of view, I prefer the soundcloud version (for this style).

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 22 2011, 06:10 PM
Instructor
Well, the soundcloud version is better, and it's clipping less then YT one.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
sentia
Dec 22 2011, 09:24 PM
yeah... i couldn't figure out how to get rid of the clipping without lowering the level on just about every frequency... is there any way to get a nice loud rock sound without clipping?

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Dec 22 2011, 11:15 PM
Instructor
This VST plugin do wonders - iZotope Ozone 5 Complete Mastering System, relatively easy to use because it has finished presets,pop,rock..etc, you name it ! For some home recording and quick mastering is perfect ! smile.gif !

--------------------

+Quote Post
sentia
Dec 23 2011, 08:46 AM
thanks for the link! i messed around with it for a while (and had a lot of fun) and this is what i ended up with:

i think i got rid of most of the clipping, but i'm still not sure if it sounds better than the soundcloud version...

This post has been edited by sentia: Dec 23 2011, 08:46 AM

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Dec 23 2011, 10:58 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Briefly as I've written at length on this elsewhere on the forum...

Both Soundcloud and Youtube transcode audio to a compressed format in order to stream it. That transcoding can increase the internal summing of the audio and drive a signal in to distortion and can result in clipped and thin sounding audio. If you intend to use any streamed service you need to be more conservative with your levels.

Volume is not simply a case of increasing the levels of a mix or adding/changing processing. It fundamentally depends on the arrangement and composition and clean tracking/recording. Tone really should be set at tracking/recording and not mixing. At mixing you need to concentrate on getting the balance between parts and instruments as good as you can before you attempt to eq/compress etc. Final level should be set at mastering and not at mixing: the levels at mixing should allow for this and so nominally should be set so that the 2 bus peaks conservatively at -3dB or even lower. If you do not intend to have the audio mastered/further processed then you should peak at between -.5 and -1 dB to allow for the transcoding ISO and so on.

Presets - particularly EQ presets - are at the very best a starting point for a mix and should not be used AT ALL in mastering. EQ presets are pointless and should not be used at all in mixing as well as in mastering. If you are learning how to mix then concentrate on improving your mixing and avoid trying to 'master' and avoid using processors that sit on the 2 bus until you have experience of mixing. Anything you do in mastering or on the 2 bus affects the entire song and is much more difficult to judge than trying to just affect a single instrument. Get it wrong and you've messed up the entire song.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:08 PM