8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Badass Blues Collab, It had to happen
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 23 2015, 10:47 AM
GMC Founder
Awesome to see some action! Here is my take:

I looped the backing track and jammed over it. @ Ben feel free use whatever you feel like, files coming to you shortly!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Jul 23 2015, 12:34 PM
Learning Roadie
you are damn crazy !!! deliciousely crazy !!

Laurent

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 23 2015, 07:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (krakou @ Jul 22 2015, 03:56 PM) *
Got this for the moment, based on the 2 licks proposed.
Can be improved of course..

Wow, I really love that bend at 0:17 - world class!! smile.gif

This is a great example of blues... being able to dictate your own timing and still make it sound right.

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jul 23 2015, 09:47 AM) *
Awesome to see some action! Here is my take:

I looped the backing track and jammed over it. @ Ben feel free use whatever you feel like, files coming to you shortly!

This is an incredible tone - Kris, tell us how you got it!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Shanky3286
Jul 23 2015, 08:39 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 22 2015, 02:37 PM) *
Has anybody had a play with that first 2 note lick I posted?

It can be deceptively hard to get it to sound right but stick with it!

Yeah I tried it. It sounds easier than it is. I am pulling the Bb note on the G string upwards towards the first two strings. The muting has to be more precise when pulling downwards. Let me know what you think :-)

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Jul 23 2015, 08:40 PM
Learning Rock Star
https://soundcloud.com/jim-seekford-music/badass-blues-collab-idea

I had a little time and I made this. It is an improvised take but hey that's how I roll I guess...

+Quote Post
Shanky3286
Jul 23 2015, 09:13 PM
QUOTE (Jim S. @ Jul 23 2015, 07:40 PM) *

I had a little time and I made this. It is an improvised take but hey that's how I roll I guess...

Good stuff man!

+Quote Post
Shanky3286
Jul 23 2015, 09:44 PM
Here's my own humble offering. It's a very simple attempt at the solo. Taken off from the ideas proposed. It's played on a clean tone.

https://soundcloud.com/shashank-venkat-1/badass-blues-collaboration-lick

This post has been edited by Shanky3286: Jul 23 2015, 09:45 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 23 2015, 11:30 PM
Better late than never!! I'm in smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 24 2015, 11:48 AM
GMC Founder
Thanks Ben and Laurent, I love this backing!

I used a Dr Z Mas kemper profile, and added the kemper tube screamer in front. I think its the dr z amp that does it, its very touch sensitive!

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Jul 24 2015, 12:57 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jul 24 2015, 11:48 AM) *
Thanks Ben and Laurent, I love this backing!

I used a Dr Z Mas kemper profile, and added the kemper tube screamer in front. I think its the dr z amp that does it, its very touch sensitive!

great vocals as well dude smile.gif I'll wager you would totally nail a vocal cover of 'mamma were all crazy now' cool.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 24 2015, 07:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jim S. @ Jul 23 2015, 07:40 PM) *

There's some really nice stuff in there, Jim. I really like your crunch tone as well.. really percussive. Sometimes improvising gives us the magic licks that don't come any other way!

Are you thinking of working on it? I can imagine how good it will sound if you lose some of the more 'outside' bits that were probably errors.

QUOTE (Shanky3286 @ Jul 23 2015, 08:44 PM) *
Here's my own humble offering. It's a very simple attempt at the solo. Taken off from the ideas proposed. It's played on a clean tone.

https://soundcloud.com/shashank-venkat-1/badass-blues-collaboration-lick

Hi man, welcome!

Ok, great... allow me to make a suggestion with some note choices here. That bit at 0:29.. I personally wouldn't have included that note. It's an A, which would be a minor 2nd (or 9th). If you moved it up a semitone to A# then it will give you a minor 3rd which will sound much more comfortable there smile.gif

Your best moment is the 2nd half - your note choice is much better and more confident. A 0:47 I was hoping you would play a root note (G) after that F but you held it and went down. It's not 'wrong' but it sounds a bit meandering or wandering, yeah? If you give those things a go it will be interesting to see how it sounds but, more importantly, what you think of it!

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 23 2015, 10:30 PM) *
Better late than never!! I'm in smile.gif

That's what I like to hear - bring the artillery!

QUOTE (Shanky3286 @ Jul 23 2015, 07:39 PM) *
Yeah I tried it. It sounds easier than it is. I am pulling the Bb note on the G string upwards towards the first two strings. The muting has to be more precise when pulling downwards. Let me know what you think :-)

That's interesting. I find it much easier to pull the string down because it's a more natural hand movement to pull down and then let off the string and mute with the picking hand.

Just to clarify.. when you say the first two strings, that would suggest the B & E because you would have 3 strings below the G: D, A & the low E.

When I say pull it downward I'm meaning towards the floor, towards the B and high E string.

+Quote Post
Shanky3286
Jul 24 2015, 09:12 PM
Hey Ben,
I am very grateful to you for taking out time to listen and provide some 'real' feedback. Yes, I guess I went a little wrong with the note choice at 0:29. And I exactly know the moment where it went down at 0:47. Will rework on this and even work on a couple of new ideas and post soon.

I am really enjoying this learning from the Collaboration Jam! Thanks again Ben :-)

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 24 2015, 06:02 PM) *
That's interesting. I find it much easier to pull the string down because it's a more natural hand movement to pull down and then let off the string and mute with the picking hand.

Just to clarify.. when you say the first two strings, that would suggest the B & E because you would have 3 strings below the G: D, A & the low E.

When I say pull it downward I'm meaning towards the floor, towards the B and high E string.

Ya, I guess we both are on the same side. I meant the B and high E string as well :-)

This post has been edited by Shanky3286: Jul 24 2015, 09:11 PM

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Jul 24 2015, 09:34 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks Ben and Shanky! Yes I do plan to work on it and have a video. I'll put my best foot forward!

+Quote Post
MossRoller
Jul 25 2015, 03:16 AM
ok, I'll give this a shot.
Gab has me working on a string bending lesson, so I wanted to incorporate plenty of that bendy stuff.
I initially started with your Varying Phrases idea, but somehow ended up with this.

Here is my quite-sloppy and not-so-fancy take 1: Attached File  BadAssBluesCollabMossTake1.mp3 ( 690.46K ) Number of downloads: 143

+Quote Post
bleez
Jul 25 2015, 11:22 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (MossRoller @ Jul 25 2015, 03:16 AM) *
Gab has me working on a string bending lesson, so I wanted to incorporate plenty of that bendy stuff.
I initially started with your Varying Phrases idea, but somehow ended up with this.

Here is my quite-sloppy and not-so-fancy take 1: Attached File  BadAssBluesCollabMossTake1.mp3 ( 690.46K ) Number of downloads: 143

that's nice, dude. I liked that smile.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jul 25 2015, 09:59 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (bleez @ Jul 24 2015, 01:57 PM) *
great vocals as well dude smile.gif I'll wager you would totally nail a vocal cover of 'mamma were all crazy now' cool.gif

Thanks Bleez, gotta admit I dont know that song. Will check it out!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Jul 25 2015, 11:29 PM
Learning Rock Star
Here is an update.... https://soundcloud.com/jim-seekford-music/badass-2

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Jul 26 2015, 03:48 AM
Learning Rock Star

Here's my take! I feel good about it. Probably because I may have had a giant gasball of hash fall in my lungs.

This post has been edited by Jim S.: Jul 26 2015, 04:09 AM

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 26 2015, 10:47 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (MossRoller @ Jul 25 2015, 02:16 AM) *

Excellent. Yes I can hear how you've got a similar starting point for each phrase and then take it somewhere different - that's what variation is all about smile.gif

I love that bend and the following licks around 0:36 - great stuff!

QUOTE (Jim S. @ Jul 26 2015, 02:48 AM) *

Here's my take! I feel good about it. Probably because I may have had a giant gasball of hash fall in my lungs.

Oh man, that bend and release / bend again routine around 0:36 is the bee's knees! Not just the phrase itself but the way the tone gets more trebly and screams... nice one cool.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 27 2015, 06:14 PM
Spiff!! Digging your take here smile.gif I"m about to sit down and record one myself. Inspiring!

QUOTE (Jim S. @ Jul 25 2015, 10:48 PM) *

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:49 PM