2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Habits
black and white
Apr 29 2008, 10:06 PM
GMC:er
Hello everyone...

I have learned a ton in the past few months here. This site is really a treasure trove of knowledge and I for one have seen my skills improve quickly. Thank you. As a relatively new player, I am finding myself playing guitar alot more and with that am sure that I am developing habits. How I hold the guitar, a comfortable picking speed, all sorts of things that I might not view as important, but probably are really critical to get better.

I was wondering if everyone here might share some of the more common bad habits that they see in new developing guitar players. Here is one that I picked up from an early lesson....alternate picking, I remember reading here that most new players don't learn this technique. That was a great note and I immediately integrated that into my practice. But I am sure there are more things to look out for and everyone has habits, even great players.....so that is my question.

What are the most important habits to learn and what are things to watch for. As always, I appreciate all of the expertise on this site. You all do a great job.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nick325
Apr 29 2008, 10:10 PM
warming up, posture, and keeping fingers adjacent to the fretboard are important to remember

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Apr 29 2008, 10:12 PM
Get to da Chopper!
My worst bad habit i picked up as a beginner- think i was alternate picking when i was actually economy picking.

Some more would be - fretting to hard, not using a footstand, being determined not to learn theory, learning to play tabs before even learning basic chords, buying more instructional information than i would use, blaming my gear for my poor sound (was actually me), not using a metronome and also my vibrato technique was like anchoring my fingers on the string then just shaking my hand about- it had no control or effect whatsoever.

I'd love to hear more bad habits too!

+Quote Post
superize
Apr 29 2008, 10:13 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Try to make sure that when you are practising a technuiqe that you are doing it right from the beginning

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
black and white
Apr 29 2008, 10:15 PM
Wow, thats an awesome start, what is the difference between alternate and economy picking?

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Apr 29 2008, 10:38 PM
Instructor
the best thing is to do your practice in a right way and to take your time for each exercise

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Apr 29 2008, 10:50 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (black and white @ Apr 29 2008, 10:15 PM) *
Wow, thats an awesome start, what is the difference between alternate and economy picking?

well for 3 note per string stuff it'd be like this:

using a G major scale for example..

Here's alternate picking:

And here's economy picking:

Alternate is strictly down up down up etc... even when crossing strings. Using economy picking we use two of the same stroke to cross strings- to economise picking hand movement.

Both are great techniques- but a beginner is far better off getting to grips with alternate picking before tackling economy picking!

<and i didnt even know the difference tongue.gif >

+Quote Post
black and white
Apr 29 2008, 10:58 PM
That is great, another bit of knowledge shared.....thanks.

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Apr 29 2008, 10:59 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (black and white @ Apr 29 2008, 10:58 PM) *
That is great, another bit of knowledge shared.....thanks.

No problem mate...remember to use the search feature to find lessons on these techniques okay wink.gif

+Quote Post
Nick325
Apr 29 2008, 11:24 PM
muris did a lesson on it if u would like to learn it https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...picking-lesson/

+Quote Post
leedbreak
Apr 30 2008, 03:21 AM
Might not be habits as much as just not to do's

Don't pick lessons or songs that are too hard. wink.gif

Learn the whole lesson or song. dry.gif

Realizing that working on accuracy, over time, is where speed actually comes from. huh.gif

And in my case, playing for 20 plus years does not mean I can cut corners like I thought it would 15 months ago. sad.gif

Never forget that this is fun, take away the fun and, well it is not very much fun smile.gif

GL2U

This post has been edited by leedbreak: Apr 30 2008, 03:22 AM

--------------------
- leedbreak

Practice Makes Perfect, only when it is perfect practice :-)

+Quote Post
iainsteward
Apr 30 2008, 03:38 AM
its not so much a bad habit, but one piece of information I always found very useful when first learning to play fast came from Michael Angelo Batio, he said:

" Economy of motion. I always thought that the less I moved my fingers, the faster and more precise I would be able to play "

Keeping this in mind has always served me well, his instructional stuff is VERY helpful, him and Petrucci are the 2 best instructional dvd's in my opinion!!

But for me, the BEST piece of advice I ever got was "Don't learn to run before you can walk!" . Meaning, if your wanting to learn a song, it is far better to stay slow and really get it down than to fly through it and try and play it quickly. Start slow, and increase the metronome a little at a time, normally if I can play it correctly at say 120bpm and can do it 3 times with no mistakes I will bump up the metronome 3-5bpm and do it again!! Once you get to grips with a good few fast passages you could increase the integer from 3-5 to maybe 8-10 depending on how comfortable you are, its all about muscle memory and getting the licks down.

Hope this isnt too far off topic lol,
Iain!!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 30 2008, 10:39 AM
Instructor
Also I recommend Troy Stetina instructional books and dvd's. In there you can find a bunch of good advices and stick with them and you can't miss.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Apr 30 2008, 01:16 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I have a bad habbit myself that you should try to avoid right from the start, cause the typical thing about such bad habbits is that it is very easy to get them, and very hard to get rid of them wink.gif My bad habbit is the way I fingerpick with my right hand when I play acoustic parts, I use my ringfinger as a kind of resting point and place it on the body of my guitar. No idea why I did this, I don't even really know when I started to do this, cause back when I learned how to play classical acoustic guitar I played with all 5 fingers, but with this bad habbit I only use 3 fingers now, my thumb, my indexfinger and my middle finger. It works perfectly fine for me since I developed a kind of technique to play like this, but of course I am aware that I should use all 5 fingers instead...

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Iluha
Apr 30 2008, 06:46 PM
A bad habit I only recently learnd out of, and also is something I see alot of players do is sitting akwardly, back being curled and my face was about 2 cm from the fretboard tongue.gif I think this can cause back problems if you do it alot and also just look wierd, especiallly when you try playing standing up!

Another bad habit I have and working on forgeting it is sloppy playing, I'm a very impatient guy when it comes to guitar so I want to learn things as fast as possible, ending up learning things to a certain point and than just jumping to mega speed without the proper practice for muting and accurate picking!

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
May 1 2008, 08:19 AM
Lets go fishing!

I was lucky enough to start with good habits as I joined GMC as new. But I belive one of the worst habits of all is not finishing what you have started. The real progress comes from perfecting, rather than jumping around tryinig to do too much!! wink.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
petar64
May 1 2008, 08:52 AM
Bad habits?

- if you want to much to fast and are impatient
- to buy more guitarbooks than you need
- not to use a metronom
- giving up
- not to ask for help.

Rgds
Petar

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
May 1 2008, 12:46 PM
Another bad habit is to try to practice correctly so much that you forget the most important thing, to have fun. Practicing correctly is really important, and you won't get far without doing that, but you won't get far either if you don't take some time to just play around and forget about everything else.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nathan333
May 1 2008, 01:04 PM
No. 1 problem I suffered was not using my pinky. To overcome this, force yourself to use it whenever you play anything. Otherwise it could become an unkickable habit.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 1 2008, 01:17 PM
Instructor
Bad habit can also be anchoring your fingers to the pickguard. I use to did this all the time thinking:"If CLapton can do it, I can do it". But I worked on my floating hand technique and it is much comfortable for me that way.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:07 AM