Floyd Rose!
Qenzoz
Sep 1 2011, 03:14 PM
GMC:er
'Ello, everyone, I have a problem with Floyd Rose, mainly I don't know how to exactly to tune it and all that weird stuff properly, and I' have watched videos and seen posts here at GMC, but I am still stuck, going better than the first time, but still can't get it in proper tune.
So I've seen some taking all strings off and some cutting off one string and adding one string at a time, and that one string at a time seems really easy and better, but atm I don't have any strings on my guitar, so what I'd do is:

Add strings, tune all and keep tuning till I get to E standard tuning, then the Floyd Rose is of course not parallel with the body, and then I use my screwdriver, and do that thing so I get it parallel (can't remember what it is called), but now the strings are not in E standard anymore (of course), now I am wondering is it here I use the fine tuners, or, do I try and tune again to E standard, if I do, I wont be parallel again, and when do I add the locking nut? After using fine tuners or before

Maybe I am doing it completely wrong, but I'd be really happy if someone could tell me like a step by step guide how to do this, and when to use the fine tuners, when to do that and that.

Thanks in advance! smile.gif
- Tobias

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitar
Suhr S4 Pro Series Bengal Burst
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Narzsa
Sep 1 2011, 04:24 PM
Hi Qenzoz,

Floyd Roses can be a real pain. Once their set up their lovely, but that initial set up can be very very evil, and of course, if you change tuning or gauge on your strings expect to go through the process again

Im guessing your in a state where all the strings are off the neck, and as you ve said you ve tuned up to the tuning you want but the bridge has probably sunk into the body or is angled up and above the body?

What your gonna want to do now is losen the strings off and tigten the springs in the floyd, re-tune, and repeat until you get everything perfect. Its a long process. Once you ve done this, use the locking nuts to pin the strings at the top of the neck, and then use the fine tuners to get everything back into tune (the nuts, once they pin the string tend to throw the tuning out, hence the need for the fine tuners)

Once you get it the way you want though, providing as i said you change nothing it will be easier to replace. All you need to do is slide some cardboard doubled over under the floyd preventing it from sinking, tune up, remove the card board, then adjust the tuning again to compensate, never touching the springs. Add the nuts and fine tune all over again and wala smile.gif

oh one more thing, when restring make sure the fine tuners are reset ie middle not all the way screwed down or up. This will make it easier to tune with them when it comes to it

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Current Setup:

Dean VMNT1
Boss GT10
ENGL Screamer 50 watt Combo

\m/

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Sep 1 2011, 04:32 PM
Thanks so much for your answer, I think its starting to make sense now, currently I am out of low E strings, need to buy a new pack of strings, but yeah I always happen to have the bridge angled above the body, but one question, what do you mean exactly when you say "losen the strings off" ?

Thanks again! smile.gif

--------------------
Guitar

+Quote Post
Narzsa
Sep 1 2011, 04:49 PM
and also make sure you put all the strings on together, then tune them up together. If you do one at a time the bridge will sink in the other direction and again it ll make more work for you

QUOTE (Qenzoz @ Sep 1 2011, 04:32 PM) *
Thanks so much for your answer, I think its starting to make sense now, currently I am out of low E strings, need to buy a new pack of strings, but yeah I always happen to have the bridge angled above the body, but one question, what do you mean exactly when you say "losen the strings off" ?

Thanks again! smile.gif

No worries mate, its a tricky thing, but you ll be a pro at it in no time

The thing to remember is that the tuning of a string is achieved by the tension its under.
On a fixed bridged you get that tension just from tightening the nuts. The bridge holds them in place as you stretch them out

On a floyd its being pulled in two directions, the nuts, and the springs pulling the floyd. The goal is to reach the tuneing you want and balance the pull so that the floyd sit correctly

If the floyd is pulling too hard compared to the nuts the bridge sinks, if its not pulling hard enough the bridge is pulled up

By losening them off i mean de-tuning the strings a bit. Drop the tuning a couple of notes down on all strings, then tighten the springs (if the bridge is raised high above the guitar). Check the tuning and you ll find its gone up a few notes on all the strings. This is because the floyd is now pulling harder and again tension has gone up.

If its under you tuning you want, use the nuts to tighten to it, then check the bridge to see again if its still too high or low. If its too high losen the strings agains and tighten the floyd and repeat this till eventually they balance out

If its too low then that means the floyd is pulling too hard compared to the nuts, so losen the springs, then tighten the nuts to get it back into tune. Check the bridge and repeat

ps. hopes this helps smile.gif

--------------------
Current Setup:

Dean VMNT1
Boss GT10
ENGL Screamer 50 watt Combo

\m/

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Sep 1 2011, 04:49 PM
Oh holy banana split, makes so much sense now, THANKS ALOT! smile.gif Now I just need to get my hands on some new strings and I can get ready to work on this biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Narzsa @ Sep 1 2011, 05:46 PM) *
and also make sure you put all the strings on together, then tune them up together. If you do one at a time the bridge will sink in the other direction and again it ll make more work for you

No worries mate, its a tricky thing, but you ll be a pro at it in no time

The thing to remember is that the tuning of a string is achieved by the tension its under.
On a fixed bridged you get that tension just from tightening the nuts. The bridge holds them in place as you stretch them out

On a floyd its being pulled in two directions, the nuts, and the springs pulling the floyd. The goal is to reach the tuneing you want and balance the pull so that the floyd sit correctly

If the floyd is pulling too hard compared to the nuts the bridge sinks, if its not pulling hard enough the bridge is pulled up

By losening them off i mean de-tuning the strings a bit. Drop the tuning a couple of notes down on all strings, then tighten the springs (if the bridge is raised high above the guitar). Check the tuning and you ll find its gone up a few notes on all the strings. This is because the floyd is now pulling harder and again tension has gone up.

If its under you tuning you want, use the nuts to tighten to it, then check the bridge to see again if its still too high or low. If its too high losen the strings agains and tighten the floyd and repeat this till eventually they balance out

If its too low then that means the floyd is pulling too hard compared to the nuts, so losen the springs, then tighten the nuts to get it back into tune. Check the bridge and repeat

--------------------
Guitar

+Quote Post
dark dude
Sep 1 2011, 06:14 PM
Yep, as said above.

Always be wary of not putting too much tension on the strings, but it is just a case of tuning up, adjusting springs, etc.

Each time you adjust the springs, bend the strings a bit to allow the right tensions to sink in. Then repeat. It doesn't take too long. The first time, though, that is another matter tongue.gif

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:25 AM