Dave Mustaine: Getting Old?
Todd Simpson
Jul 14 2012, 02:58 AM
GMC:er
I LOVE MEGADETH. But watch this.

Not an isolated event. Dave has somehow lost his "Stage Teeth" IMHO? Anybody notice?

I saw them live on the PEACE SELLS tour and the sheer agression coming off stage was palpable. They look almost bored now?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 14 2012, 03:02 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Put 20,000 fans in front of them and see what happens smile.gif

This is just a singular performance for GC sessions, nothing big for them when they are used to Arena's cheering them.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 14 2012, 03:12 AM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jul 13 2012, 10:02 PM) *
Put 20,000 fans in front of them and see what happens smile.gif

This is just a singular performance for GC sessions, nothing big for them when they are used to Arena's cheering them.

Yeah? here they are in front of 10s of thousands of fans playing the same tune. A bit more head jiggle. But They even lose the crowd about half way through. sad.gif

I'm a BIG FAN Of Megadeth. But I'm just starting to notice that they seem to have been "coasting" for the past several years. I remember the intensity of the early shows and I guess I just miss it smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 14 2012, 03:15 AM

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jul 14 2012, 04:49 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I've seen them live a couple of years ago, and their performance was flawless. Of course they weren't jumping around, but it was a solid performance. Dave Mustaine had surgery on his neck not too long ago, apparently all the years of headbanging caused some serious damage. He was actually considering retiring, but instead he just plays with less intensity.

Personally, I'm more concerned with the how well they play the music. I think they play much tighter than Metallica, but thats to be expected since the other members of Megadeth aren't as old biggrin.gif

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 14 2012, 06:14 AM
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Jul 13 2012, 11:49 PM) *
I've seen them live a couple of years ago, and their performance was flawless. Of course they weren't jumping around, but it was a solid performance. Dave Mustaine had surgery on his neck not too long ago, apparently all the years of headbanging caused some serious damage. He was actually considering retiring, but instead he just plays with less intensity.

Personally, I'm more concerned with the how well they play the music. I think they play much tighter than Metallica, but thats to be expected since the other members of Megadeth aren't as old biggrin.gif

I respect them a ton, and as i said repeatedly, IM A HUGE FAN! But not just Dave, the other guys too. It just seems like they are coasting just a bit. I remember NICK MENZA playing with them and Marty Friedman and the precision was still there, but it was more intense as well. I just miss that a bit. But I still LOVE MEGADETH!

HERE IS A PRETTY GOOD EXAMPLE OF THEM RAWKING!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 14 2012, 12:12 PM
Instructor
Getting older sucks in terms of intensity doesn't it ? But I also think that Dave is able to give more professionally to his fans these days by looking after himself. A lifetime of drugs will have definitely made its mark and then there is the age thing as well which is natural. He seems to have found a healthy middle ground as he's crossed the line and knows where it is.

But yeah, Todd I do here ya man... the ol' neck snapping days of Megadeth were certainly something to behold !

One thing I kind of noticed the other day was how bands get to a point where they even sound old on record. I hate to say it and it might be controversial to you Maiden fans (I am a fan too!) but they actually do sound old on record, ever since Dance of Death really.. where as a Megadeth record doesn't sound like it's being played by old men, do you know what I mean ? I mean, does This Day we Fight, Headcrusher or Neverdead sound like old men ?? No way ! God bless the 'Deth ! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jul 14 2012, 01:07 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Dave, professional?

Now hold on a second....

laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Yash
Jul 14 2012, 05:26 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 14 2012, 10:44 AM) *
I respect them a ton, and as i said repeatedly, IM A HUGE FAN! But not just Dave, the other guys too. It just seems like they are coasting just a bit. I remember NICK MENZA playing with them and Marty Friedman and the precision was still there, but it was more intense as well. I just miss that a bit. But I still LOVE MEGADETH!

HERE IS A PRETTY GOOD EXAMPLE OF THEM RAWKING!

Yesm to be very honest, they are getting old tongue.gif That's simply unavoidable sad.gif Nick Menza had a lot of energy in hime, I do mean A LOT, his bass drumming and ride beating were something every drummer should aspire to smile.gif Maybe, since Shawn is not so aggressive, rather, a bit more technical and tight maybe than Nick, but lacks that aggression, Maybe the guitarists and the bassist don't find that same intensity and headbanging aggression..

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 14 2012, 04:42 PM) *
Getting older sucks in terms of intensity doesn't it ? But I also think that Dave is able to give more professionally to his fans these days by looking after himself. A lifetime of drugs will have definitely made its mark and then there is the age thing as well which is natural. He seems to have found a healthy middle ground as he's crossed the line and knows where it is.

But yeah, Todd I do here ya man... the ol' neck snapping days of Megadeth were certainly something to behold !

Yes, he does give it more to his fans professionally. The final mixes, cover art of the albums and thetightness and accuracy on the new albums are amazing, something old Megadeth lacked a lot, I mean, look at Killing Is My Business, So Far So Good So What... the mix on the original version of the album sounds.... dirty tongue.gif

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 14 2012, 04:42 PM) *
One thing I kind of noticed the other day was how bands get to a point where they even sound old on record. I hate to say it and it might be controversial to you Maiden fans (I am a fan too!) but they actually do sound old on record, ever since Dance of Death really.. where as a Megadeth record doesn't sound like it's being played by old men, do you know what I mean ? I mean, does This Day we Fight, Headcrusher or Neverdead sound like old men ?? No way ! God bless the 'Deth ! biggrin.gif

Yes, these guys are still fast in the studio, as fast as Rust in Peace biggrin.gif God bless 'Deth !! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 14 2012, 06:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jul 14 2012, 01:07 PM) *
Dave, professional?

Now hold on a second....

laugh.gif

Haha.. 2 words you wouldn't normally associate together..

But seriously, he put it best himself when he said that the way Megadeth tour and work these days is with military precision.. so in terms of consistency they're able to deliver more now that they're cut out the drugs and silly behaviour smile.gif

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jul 14 2012, 06:44 PM
i am surprised that Mustaine still going at all, after so many years of alcohol and drugs abuses, i think is amazing he is still playin biggrin.gif

It might be just me xD but i am really diggin This Mustaine's voice.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Jul 14 2012, 06:50 PM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Yash
Jul 14 2012, 06:59 PM
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Jul 14 2012, 11:14 PM) *
i am surprised that Mustaine still going at all, after so many years of alcohol and drugs abuses, i think is amazing he is still playin biggrin.gif

It might be just me xD but i am really diggin This Mustaine's voice.

Me too +1 biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 15 2012, 01:32 AM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 14 2012, 07:12 AM) *

Well said smile.gif I have to agree. I love Maiden too. And while they don't sound Geriatric, you can hear that they have matured a bit. I guess it's just inevitable.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 16 2012, 06:28 PM
Instructor
It's sad to notice that our heroes are now becoming old and some of them also start to left us. I really admire the good shape that Mick Jagger has kept after all these years. I know that he really take care of himself in a very professional way, but thanks to that he could keep on making good live concerts.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
derper
Jul 17 2012, 10:49 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 13 2012, 06:58 PM) *

Not an isolated event. Dave has somehow lost his "Stage Teeth" IMHO? Anybody notice?

I saw them live on the PEACE SELLS tour and the sheer agression coming off stage was palpable. They look almost bored now?

Funny, but my buddy JUST YESTERDAY posted on facebook asking in Mustaine has had a small stroke or something....he doesn't seem to have much movement in his face. After watching this, I wonder what the deal is.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 16 2012, 10:28 AM) *
It's sad to notice that our heroes are now becoming old and some of them also start to left us. I really admire the good shape that Mick Jagger has kept after all these years. I know that he really take care of himself in a very professional way, but thanks to that he could keep on making good live concerts.

For a second when I read that, I was thinking of Keith instead of Mick..... laugh.gif Obviously, Keith has not "taken care" of himself the way Mick has.

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
El Fortinero
Jul 18 2012, 04:42 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 13 2012, 10:58 PM) *

the thing that worries me more is my english man, when i read " Dave M getting old? and then "lost his Stage teeth" i though he had lost a teeth during the performance tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif and started to watch the video looking for that moment tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

--------------------
WWW.GROOVERMETAL.COM.AR

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Jul 18 2012, 05:59 AM
Tone Seeker
I'm not pro drummer but why the guy hits hit hat with left hand ? huh.gif I would play it other way around.

In faster & more technical metal music (like CoB & Threat Signal ) they have 2 hithats cause they play so fast but this song isn't so fast. Maybe it's personal thing though happy.gif

See example

This post has been edited by WeePee: Jul 18 2012, 06:03 AM

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 18 2012, 08:35 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (WeePee @ Jul 18 2012, 05:59 AM) *
I'm not pro drummer but why the guy hits hit hat with left hand ? huh.gif I would play it other way around.

I think he's a left handed drummer so they set their kit up differently smile.gif

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Jul 18 2012, 01:33 PM
Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 18 2012, 10:35 AM) *
I think he's a left handed drummer so they set their kit up differently smile.gif

As opposed to many drummers, who cross over their sticks to play the hi-hat with their right hand and snare with their left hand, Shawn instead keeps time with his left hand, keeps a ride cymbal on the left side of his set, and relegates his right hand for snare drum hits (similar to Gene Hoglan and Steven Sweet). Although the role of each hand is reversed, he still begins rolls and downbeats on rhythms played on other drums with his right hand, as do many right-handed drummers. This is known as "Open handed drumming". Shawn Drover is himself left-handed.

Wikipedia is our friend laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 18 2012, 10:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (derper @ Jul 17 2012, 06:49 PM) *
For a second when I read that, I was thinking of Keith instead of Mick..... laugh.gif Obviously, Keith has not "taken care" of himself the way Mick has.

hahah sure! the same happens with Lemmy! tongue.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:24 PM