Better To Practice Day After Day, Or Take A Day Off To Rest Each Week?
dark_dude
Aug 30 2009, 12:22 AM
GMC:er
Was just wondering about this.

Is it important to rest your hands once a week (or once every so often) to minimise chances of injury? Or perhaps just to quicken progress. I'm not sure if I can liken guitar playing to the gym, but resting the muscles will allow them to become stronger.

Does this apply to guitar too?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
*Ibanez 2550E Prestige
*LTD EC-1000
*Squier bullet
----
*Roland Cube 30W
----
*Line 6 Pod Studio GX
My Practice Agenda
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
audiopaal
Aug 30 2009, 12:25 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
In my opinion this is different for each person..
I take a day or two off every now and then, but each to his own I guess smile.gif

If it works for you, in a sense that you feel it helps your playing and/or giving you a new perspective on things you've practiced etc., I think it's good to do so smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Aug 30 2009, 12:41 AM
Instructor
It depends from person to person and what your goals are. If you want to be professional guitar player, I see no reason why you would miss a day of practice/playing. Muscles get use to practicing and playing, you pace yourself and build your playing hours. I hope you don't jump to 12 hour a day playing if you never did 6 then 8 then 10 hour routine... The same thing goes for gym smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Aug 30 2009, 12:43 AM
Lets go fishing!
Speaking from my own personal experience, breaks are very important.

Its also important that guitar isnt your soul life focus, even if you are passionate about acheiving your goals.

Over practice can lead to sloppy practice in my humble opinion, yet not enough practice and you wont progress as you liked.

I typically practice very hard for 3-4 days (in a highly structured way), then rest a day, then continue the cycle. I used to practice 7 days a week and I found it very counter productive.

Going fishing really helps my playing,no joke smile.gif

This post has been edited by mattacuk: Aug 30 2009, 12:44 AM

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
leedbreak
Aug 30 2009, 12:48 AM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Aug 29 2009, 06:43 PM) *

I have found all you said to be true in my case, as well. Especially the last part cool.gif

--------------------
- leedbreak

Practice Makes Perfect, only when it is perfect practice :-)

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Aug 30 2009, 12:49 AM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (leedbreak @ Aug 30 2009, 12:48 AM) *
I have found all you said to be true in my case, as well. Especially the last part cool.gif

You MUST be cool cool.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
leedbreak
Aug 30 2009, 12:52 AM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Aug 29 2009, 06:49 PM) *
You MUST be cool cool.gif

Yes, I am.

--------------------
- leedbreak

Practice Makes Perfect, only when it is perfect practice :-)

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Aug 30 2009, 02:34 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Aug 30 2009, 12:43 AM) *
Speaking from my own personal experience, breaks are very important.

Its also important that guitar isnt your soul life focus, even if you are passionate about acheiving your goals.

Over practice can lead to sloppy practice in my humble opinion, yet not enough practice and you wont progress as you liked.

I typically practice very hard for 3-4 days (in a highly structured way), then rest a day, then continue the cycle. I used to practice 7 days a week and I found it very counter productive.

I totally agree.....I seem to find that I do best with 3-4 days of highly structured practice as well. Seems like when I go too many days straight.....like 6 or 7 in a row that my playing becomes very sloppy and I get frustrated. Rest is very important.....IMO. On your rest days you could do something that isn't really demanding. Learn some chords or some new scales or transcribe or record. Hope that helps a little......

\m/\m/

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Aug 30 2009, 08:25 AM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Aug 30 2009, 02:34 AM) *
I totally agree.....I seem to find that I do best with 3-4 days of highly structured practice as well. Seems like when I go too many days straight.....like 6 or 7 in a row that my playing becomes very sloppy and I get frustrated. Rest is very important.....IMO. On your rest days you could do something that isn't really demanding. Learn some chords or some new scales or transcribe or record. Hope that helps a little......

\m/\m/

I belive most of the learning happens on the break day smile.gif I think the brain needs time to process what you have learnt.

Of course this is just my own theory, everyone is different smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Aug 30 2009, 11:03 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Aug 30 2009, 02:34 AM) *

\m/\m/

Very well said Monte. This is how I would do it as well.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Aug 30 2009, 12:52 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I spend as much time recording as I practice new stuff, and trying to get my sound as polished as possible..
This is probably not the smartest thing to do if you wanna be the best, but I'll settle with "best sounding" laugh.gif wink.gif

I practice new stuff as well, but probably not as much as I should..
When my Macbook Pro arrives, I'll try to use the webcam for REC recordings so that should probably help smile.gif

+Quote Post
Frederik
Aug 30 2009, 01:24 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Aug 30 2009, 09:25 AM) *
I belive most of the learning happens on the break day smile.gif I think the brain needs time to process what you have learnt.

Of course this is just my own theory, everyone is different smile.gif

+1 i agree on this, though is comes natural to me to only practise a lot 4 times a week due to school and motivation

+Quote Post
djohnneay
Aug 30 2009, 02:18 PM
I only play/practice when I feel like it. Highly structured practice is not something for me I guess. When I don't feel like playing, I just don't pick up the guitar. What's the point in practicing if at that moment you don't want to be doing that at all ?
Lately, I've been practicing more songs and theory now but about 2 months ago I was all into increasing my AP chops and tapping. IMO, guitar playing is about fun and all your playing, including your practicing, should come straight from the heart. After all, it is something you WANT to do, you don't HAVE to do it, in contradiction to other stuff like school or work. I'm not saying practice shouldn't be structured at all, just keep guitarplaying fun for yourself, that's all that matters.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 30 2009, 02:50 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I do think that rest is important. Not that much of a physical reason (to rest your hands) rather mental - to let your brain process what you have learned. I think it makes a learning process more efficient. Image you were going to school everyday of the week and had no rest - or worked 7 days a week non stop. You would eventually become less efficient at it because of fatigue (mental or physical). Hmm there was an article posted here in the forum about brain research and rest importance when learning to play an instrument.,,,

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
wrk
Aug 30 2009, 06:30 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I like the idea of learning by taking a rest ... but somehow i'm afraid that all these highly skilled people we look up to, did not develope their skills by taking rests .. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 30 2009, 10:11 PM
QUOTE (wrk @ Aug 30 2009, 07:30 PM) *
I like the idea of learning by taking a rest ... but somehow i'm afraid that all these highly skilled people we look up to, did not develope their skills by taking rests .. smile.gif

Hmm what is a 1 day rest per week or two weeks ? smile.gif If you can keep up every other day of the week practicing efficiently I'm sure you will do great like your idols did too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Aug 30 2009, 10:19 PM
I was looking at what Wrk said, and I have to go with him on this.

I really try to play everyday, even if I just noodle for 15 minutes.

I dont think guys like PG, Steve Vai, Yngwie, got amazing by not playing for a couple days.

All those days are days you could have spent doing something productive to make you a better player.

Now taking a day off to maybe devote yourself to different aspects of music, " Lyrics, Theory, etc.". I think that is acceptable.

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 30 2009, 10:32 PM
Thing with music is that its not sports, you can progress by so many ways that don't necessarily involve having an instrument in hand. Reading theory, thinking about stuff you learned, listening to some new music, going to see a concert, reading a article about and guitar effect or learning how to record video, how to advertise your band are just some of many topics that if you devote time to will make you a generally better musician... I have noticed so many times that after hard practice week, I make a 1 day brake and just listen to some new music or something and let my brain rest, tomorrow I can pass the boundary that I couldn't just a day before rest.

edit: I can already see a new GMC comic based on this thread smile.gif LOL

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Aug 30 2009, 10:34 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
wrk
Aug 31 2009, 12:18 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Aug 30 2009, 11:11 PM) *
Hmm what is a 1 day rest per week or two weeks ? smile.gif If you can keep up every other day of the week practicing efficiently I'm sure you will do great like your idols did too.

I didn't meant to say that someone should not take a rest. I agree with VictorUK, everybody has to define for them self what they want to reach in whatever they do, but i believe, similar to every other things we learn or need to work on, as more time someone spend on something, as more he gets done.

I'm sure people have different views about this ... thats why i find this kind of discussion interesting smile.gif

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Aug 31 2009, 12:30 AM
Instructor
I recommend taking a day off every week..
Not only will it give your hands a chance to rest, it will also give your mind a chance to grasp what it has learned during these hard working hours.. Not to mention that it will keep you motivated, it's easy to get a litle burned out when playing daily without any breaks...

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:17 AM