Both Good And Cheap Gear To Get The Hendrix Sound?!?
deWeLL
Aug 3 2007, 08:44 AM
GMC:er
Hi,

I'm looking for an effect to make my guitar sound like Hendrix in Purple Haze and Foxy Lady ...

I've got a PRS Tremonti SE, a Fender Automatic PR329 amp and just a Digitech Hot Head ...

I know, not the best requisites to get the "Jimi Sound" but I have to make the best of it huh.gif

To make things worse .. I'm on the rocks, so it have to be as cheap as possible

I know it won't sound exactly like Hendrix under these circumstances but I hope you can give me advice how to adjust my amp and effects and which Fuzz I should buy ... blink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 12)
Electric_Blues
Aug 3 2007, 11:47 AM
QUOTE (deWeLL @ Aug 3 2007, 08:44 AM) *
Hi,

I'm looking for an effect to make my guitar sound like Hendrix in Purple Haze and Foxy Lady ...

I've got a PRS Tremonti SE, a Fender Automatic PR329 amp and just a Digitech Hot Head ...

I know, not the best requisites to get the "Jimi Sound" but I have to make the best of it huh.gif

I know it won't sound exactly like Hendrix under these circumstances but I hope you can give me advice how to adjust my amp and effects and which Fuzz I should buy ... blink.gif

hmm

maybe the digitech hendrix experience pedal? suppose to recapture some of his best sounding licks.

http://www.digitech.com/products/HendrixPedal/Hendrix.htm

heres a demo on youtube - http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ip78x6r5aF8

i have got one and you can get very close to jimi's sound, amazing for the price.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Electric_Blues: Aug 3 2007, 11:52 AM

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 3 2007, 12:03 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
If it's a modeller then check Digi-tech.
However if it's mainly/only a fuzz that you want then Hendrix used a Dallas-Arbiter Fuzz face - recent version is now made my Dunlop. Pretty much any effects manufacturer however will have a fuzz in its catalogue. Some other goodies to check out are:

Bixonic Expandora - versatile and so does more than just fuzz.

Roger Mayer - who helped design/mod some of the effects that Hendrix used.

Keeley fuzz - Keeley just make great pedals.

For Purple Haze/Foxy Lady I think you'll also need an Octaver effect and something like a Uni-Vibe (check Roger Mayer above). Amp used in '67 btw was a UK voltage Marshall 7026 model. Closest production model still made that I know of is a Marshall Super 100JH.

Hope this helps and good luck on your quest for that sound.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 3 2007, 01:22 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (deWeLL @ Aug 3 2007, 09:44 AM) *
Hi,

To my belife a pedal can't solve the entire problem, but from your post I see that you're aware of it and want to make the best our of it. Like tonymiro said, a vintage Marshall is neccessary. Just thinking and not knowing if this is good or bad for you but if you get that Marshall pedal, Guvenor, it's very good for getting a Marshall sound. If you're careful on the gain you should be getting vintage tones through your Fender.

And then if you get a Fuzz FZ5 from Boss maybe, MAYBE... you can combine the two to get the sound you 're looking for.
How you do that in a prosperous way I have no idea, maye the Dist in front of the amp and the Fuzz in the loop. Or both in front of the amp. Or all you will come up with is a really bad sound rolleyes.gif
Electroharmonix Bug Muff may be another fuzz pedal you could use.

It's just an idea, I've never run two pedals that distort the sound to this extent in chain so I have no good answers.
Anpother problem for you is to get the twang from a PRS. Not gonna happen, or? Do you have a coil split in it maybe?

maybe the Digitech Hendrix pedal is a simpler (but not as interesting?) road to go.

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Aug 3 2007, 02:14 PM
I think everyone else has pretty much answered your question very well.The only thing i know of not listed is a computer software that has all his sounds built into the program you just plug in through the computer and play.It cost about $300.00 USD but i cant tell you wether it's worth it or what it sounds like .I think you can check it out at musicians friend. smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 3 2007, 03:00 PM
This the software shredmandan Amplitube Hendrix?

Don't know what it's like but IK do make great plug ins and Amplitube is great so this should be good.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Aug 3 2007, 03:05 PM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Aug 3 2007, 10:00 AM) *
This the software shredmandan Amplitube Hendrix?

Don't know what it's like but IK do make great plug ins and Amplitube is great so this should be good.

Cheers,
Tony

Thanks biggrin.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 3 2007, 03:35 PM
Learning Tone Master
Use the big muff by electro harmonics, it's the one that jimi used too.
There is even a cheaper and smaller version of it, but it still sounds the same, it's called the "little big muff"
http://www.musik-schmidt.de/osc-schmidt/ca...on-p-20212.html
and of course the dunlop crybaby wah is essential for jimi's sound

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 3 2007, 04:34 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 3 2007, 04:35 PM) *
Use the big muff by electro harmonics, it's the one that jimi used too.

To my knowledge Hendrix designed the sound for Big Muff but died before he got to play it (well, the prototype he played in factory of course)

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 3 2007, 04:56 PM
Think you're right there MickeM - also would have been after the Are you experienced album, hence Arbiter fuzz might be closer overall to the 67/68 sound. Big Muff though is a great pedal.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post
Electric_Blues
Aug 3 2007, 07:06 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 3 2007, 03:35 PM) *
and of course the dunlop crybaby wah is essential for jimi's sound

i always thought hendrix used a vox wah?

although dunlop makes his signature stuff now

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 3 2007, 07:08 PM
Learning Tone Master
Sry maybe I am wrong but the big muff sounds quite good.
i always thought hendrix used a vox wah?

It's right but vox does not built wahwahs any more

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Aug 3 2007, 07:09 PM

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Slammer
Aug 3 2007, 07:13 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 3 2007, 02:08 PM) *
It's right but vox does not built wahwahs any more

They do!! smile.gif

check it out!!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/b...full_sku=151688

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/V...l_sku=104376306

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:44 AM