Reducing Power Output Via Removing Power Tubes: Safe?
Ajmurrell
Dec 23 2008, 12:50 AM
Learning Tone Master
While I'm awaiting enough money to purchase an attenuator, I was wondering if it's safe to remove one of the two powertubes that are in my Dr Z 18 W tube amp?

I ask because I know that a few people have talked about removing power tubes from other tube amps to remove wattage (MikeM with his switchblade I seem to recall being an example) and wanted to know if you can do this on any amp is ok?

If it's ok to do so, should I remove a particular one in the Tube chain? And as there are two, can I assume it will half the wattage? Or is it more complicated than this?

Thanks for your help smile.gif Always first class responses smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ajmurrell: Dec 23 2008, 12:51 AM

--------------------
GMC Travel Agent, at your service.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 23 2008, 12:56 AM
Moderation Policy Director
Not necessarily a good idea.

It depends on the circuit, but it is most likely a push pull output, and removing one of the 2 power tubes will at best sound awful and and worse could cause damage.

Micke can do it because he has 4 tubes - that's 2 pairs. They work in pairs and removing a pair is ok, but removing half of your only pair is not going to work.

Unless of course this is class A with a paralell driver stage but that is rather unusual.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Dec 23 2008, 01:00 AM
Learning Tone Master
Ah that does make a lot of sense when I think about it! I believe it's not actually classed strictly as a class A as it has *insert technical word here* (thing that automatically bias's replacement tubes!). Not sure if that makes any difference?

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Dec 22 2008, 11:56 PM) *

It depends on the circuit, but it is most likely a push pull output, and removing one of the 2 power tubes will at best sound awful and and worse could cause damage.

Micke can do it because he has 4 tubes - that's 2 pairs. They work in pairs and removing a pair is ok, but removing half of your only pair is not going to work.

Unless of course this is class A with a paralell driver stage but that is rather unusual.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 23 2008, 01:03 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Dec 23 2008, 12:56 AM) *

Yes, works fine here. The rule I have to stick with is to remove either the outer or the inner pair, but at all times leave a pair.

I would not pull one tube in the DrZ. Better just wait for the attenuator.

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Dec 23 2008, 01:08 AM
Learning Tone Master
Thanks guys smile.gif Waiting it is!

The DR Z attenuator is a good recommendation apparently if anyones interested in buying one, cause it works on any Ohm output for tube amps upto a 100W, with a maximum reduction down to 1W.

Apparently he's bringing out a mini Air Brake, for lower wattage amps in the new year. Might wait for it.

QUOTE (MickeM @ Dec 23 2008, 12:03 AM) *
Yes, works fine here. The rule I have to stick with is to remove either the outer or the inner pair, but at all times leave a pair.

I would not pull one tube in the DrZ. Better just wait for the attenuator.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 23 2008, 01:09 AM
QUOTE (Ajmurrell @ Dec 22 2008, 07:00 PM) *
Not sure if that makes any difference?

Neither am I! I would play safe and wait ...

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 23 2008, 11:54 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Dec 23 2008, 12:56 AM) *

You can almost feel the experience of Andrew when he starts with this kind of tech talk cool.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 23 2008, 02:30 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Dec 23 2008, 05:54 AM) *
You can almost feel the experience of Andrew when he starts with this kind of tech talk cool.gif

smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:25 PM