> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Rock Essentials #6, Lesson By Darius Wave
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 2 ] ** [66.67%]
7 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

Timmez
Mar 2 2021, 08:51 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Original lesson: Rock Essentials #6 by Darius Wave

|Here my take of this nice rock lesson

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 3 2021, 01:46 PM
Instructor
Hi again mate!

Your work on this lesson is good. I think that you are getting close but there is some work to do in order to make it sound more consistent. If you compare your take with the original, you'll notice that yours sound more "punk" while the other sounds more "hard rock". In order to get the most from this lesson you could try to emulate the forcefulness that Darius achieves with his right hand strumming and palm muting. He keeps the right hand closer to the strings, and he mutes the staccato chords much faster.

This will also help you to get a tighter take. I notice that your timing is not precise, and this is more problematic then using only downstrokes. There, you need to adjust your technique to be able to play those 8th notes with precision.

Besides that, work on details, like riffs endings and connection between parts (for example the notes at 00:18).

Ok my friend, that's all by now, keep on rocking.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 4 2021, 12:13 PM
GMC Founder
Cool!

I think the reason you don't quite convey the same tight impression as Darius is because you kinda neglect the silences between the chord and single notes. This lands you in punk territory whereas Darius is bordering metal in his version.

Other than this I think your playing here would benefit from you digging into the groove, instead of you keeping track of the picture frame , checking the camera etc. I know how hard this can be when you are recording yourself in your home studio. However having a setup that allows you to rock a way in a relaxed manner can literally compensate for hours of practice. Because if you are comfortable in front of the camber it will show in your playing.

Keep up the hard work!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 15 2021, 10:56 AM
Instructor
Hey Tim!

First of all great to see you working over this lesson. My overall impression is positive. I hope you enjoyed the groove smile.gif

First thing to notice is your tone. Just to clarify - I use "single coil sized" humbucker in the bridge position and it was used to record original lesson videos. Your tone has some kind of unpleasant "quacky" high midrange...like a wah wah pedal turned and and left in the middle position. With your instrument you should be able to get nice and creamy rock tone, with a little bit more highs to make it "breath"

This kind of lesson is made to have fun and let your right hand take sam serious "discharge" by using hard strumming across most of strings. The idea is to use left hand to mute unwanted strings and let the right hand feel free (besides some obvious spots where it's impossible). You seem to make it nice on the chorus part. You can really go for harder strumming i nthe verse part. Lower the gain, lower the top boost in front of amp and try to get that tone from your hand smile.gif It will also make things easier to sit well in time.

In respect to every single notes, please let the last one of each lick have it ringing time as well wink.gif You ten cut it and "steal" it's time to make position shifts smile.gif

Muting part around 0:45 needs clearer contrast between muting and open notes. These notes (besides 2) should sound more muted.

too much of top boost in front of your amp (like a tube screamer or any other stomp box that can boost the highs and level...not necessary gain) casues the "cracks" to cut through. When you release barre chords, cracking noise is audible. Tone is partially to blame but you cna help muting with your right hand.

+Quote Post
Fran
Apr 6 2021, 11:01 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 6.3

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:40 PM