Hi People This Is Me Introducing Myself...
Keith Whalley
Mar 26 2007, 08:33 PM
GMC:er
Hello everyone!
I hate introduction into these forum things but guess I got to get started somewhere.
As you'll see from my username I'm Keith Whalley from Cambridge, England (Land of mentally chained slaves>>>) I've been playing guitar for well over 20years now, and wrote all sorts of stuff played with various different bands etc, even tried a college course but that was crap... The main reason for me joining this site is that after looking at many guitar tuition web pages etc, I've found this to be the most informative and really useful for breaking my continuous bouts of writers block. I've spent most of my time writing political kind of in yer face type (Bring on the revolution kind of thing!) but also do lots of computer/sample based songs of various styles. For those interested you can hear my album posted on soundclick. www.soundclick.com/theuselesseaters.
My preferred style of play is lead, but I never really had that many lessons and so most of what I do is self taught. I was quite mortified to find that Kris had written on one of the lessons that 'scales are well worth learning despite the tedium and can be understood in weeks/months etc, or you can spend several years messing until you find all the notes that seem to work well together' (which is exactly what I have done). I'm pleased to be able to put some names to the things that I have picked up over the time I've been playing. My areas of weakness as far as I'm concerned are in chord progression and so that is one of the things that I hope these lessons will prove invaluable in helping me with.

Anyway, I've always thought of the guitar as an instrument that there is no end of things to learn, and so I'm pleased to be here and hope that it will continue to be as useful as it has to me so far.

Keith
The Useless Eaters

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 26 2007, 08:52 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Keith Whalley @ Mar 26 2007, 03:33 PM) *
Hello everyone!
I hate introduction into these forum things but guess I got to get started somewhere.
As you'll see from my username I'm Keith Whalley from Cambridge, England (Land of mentally chained slaves>>>) I've been playing guitar for well over 20years now, and wrote all sorts of stuff played with various different bands etc, even tried a college course but that was crap... The main reason for me joining this site is that after looking at many guitar tuition web pages etc, I've found this to be the most informative and really useful for breaking my continuous bouts of writers block. I've spent most of my time writing political kind of in yer face type (Bring on the revolution kind of thing!) but also do lots of computer/sample based songs of various styles. For those interested you can hear my album posted on soundclick. www.soundclick.com/theuselesseaters.
My preferred style of play is lead, but I never really had that many lessons and so most of what I do is self taught. I was quite mortified to find that Kris had written on one of the lessons that 'scales are well worth learning despite the tedium and can be understood in weeks/months etc, or you can spend several years messing until you find all the notes that seem to work well together' (which is exactly what I have done). I'm pleased to be able to put some names to the things that I have picked up over the time I've been playing. My areas of weakness as far as I'm concerned are in chord progression and so that is one of the things that I hope these lessons will prove invaluable in helping me with.

Anyway, I've always thought of the guitar as an instrument that there is no end of things to learn, and so I'm pleased to be here and hope that it will continue to be as useful as it has to me so far.

Keith
The Useless Eaters

Hi Keith and welcome!

I'm a Brit that moved to the US recently - my story is similar to yours - spent years teaching myself, it worked out ok, but I have learnt an unbelievable amount in the time I have been on this site. There is a great community here, look forward to seeing you on the board!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Rockwouldbe
Mar 26 2007, 11:22 PM
Rock Instructor
well i am joining in welcoming you

i agree there is a wondeful vibe here, and a family warmth. so welcome and i hope you will get rid of the writers block.

Eyal

--------------------
My gear:
Ibanez Rg2570, Pod XTL, peavey classic 30w
Guitar it is a passion

a link to the Aspiring instructor

+Quote Post
Elson
Mar 26 2007, 11:47 PM
welcome welcome...everything is great here..Instructor are very friendly..We discuss everything whether related and even some topics far out from music..haha...Nice to meet u, buddy

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 27 2007, 10:58 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
"please help me in welcoming myself to..." laugh.gif

Welcome bud! You sure got some complicated, complex stuff over at your soundlick site. cool.gif
..some provocative too tongue.gif Great work, VERY different from the mainstream biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Keith Whalley
Mar 27 2007, 12:56 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Mar 27 2007, 10:58 AM) *
"please help me in welcoming myself to..." laugh.gif

Welcome bud! You sure got some complicated, complex stuff over at your soundlick site. cool.gif
..some provocative too tongue.gif Great work, VERY different from the mainstream biggrin.gif

Thanks man great compliment, much appreciated. Take it you read the lyrics then...
I've put some stuff on Channel 4's site but nothing much came from that. Then of course theres the myspace thing, but your very limited to what you can publish there.
Anyway nice to meet you hope you manage to put together your own introduction to this forum lol , I still can't even figure out how to put a picture up there for my description (signature) thing.

+Quote Post
Keith Whalley
Mar 27 2007, 02:05 PM
Hi Kris,
I would like to take up a little of your time by asking you to consider which direction you think I ought to be going in, in relation to the lessons on your site. I have already given a brief outline of my guitar experience in my introduction.
I am currently writing my second album, which I once again am resorting to puting together myself using my computer, limited recording equipment etc, but I have enough to work with.(So can't complain)
I have discovered as a result of reading the various scales pages and using your brilliant creation of scale viewer programme thing, that the majority of my writing and improvisation ability stems from the use of pentatonic minor scales, ionian and a bit of the major scale (Plus I once looked at a Hindu scale that I've used a few times in compositions). I have learned by ear and had very few lessons - I can read muic but very, very slowly and found that to be very restricting and soon lose interest.
I would appreciate if you would visit my site and listen to a few songs in particular from my last album to see where I'm coming from www.soundclick.com/theuselesseaters - The songs in particular I think show my interest are "What We Is Free For","Premonitions","4 Inch Spikes In Your Spine", "Qana II"and "Break Out Of The Paper Bag". I've posted the first one of my new work "I've Come For Your Children" which I believe shows my varying styles and approaches.
I know this is asking quite a bit of your time but would really value your response.
Thanks and congrats on a great site.

Keith Whalley - The Useless Eaters

This post has been edited by Keith Whalley: Mar 27 2007, 02:06 PM

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 27 2007, 02:16 PM
QUOTE (Keith Whalley @ Mar 27 2007, 01:56 PM) *
I still can't even figure out how to put a picture up there for my description (signature) thing.

Solution: At top of this forum page click "My controls", in the left frame at Personal settings you'll find "Edit avatar settings".
I realize that's how us men ask questions without really asking. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Keith Whalley
Mar 27 2007, 02:39 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Mar 27 2007, 02:16 PM) *
Solution: At top of this forum page click "My controls", in the left frame at Personal settings you'll find "Edit avatar settings".

lol damn right!!! I looked at that, but didn't have a clue as to what Avatar settings meant so didnt touch it
thanks alot

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 27 2007, 02:51 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (MickeM @ Mar 27 2007, 03:16 PM) *

How do women ask? biggrin.gif

By the way - welcome Keith!

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 27 2007, 03:22 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Mar 27 2007, 03:51 PM) *
How do women ask? biggrin.gif

They are not afraid to reviel their lack of knowledge by asking straight out.
Then, what's more complicated is their ability of mind reading which they also belive men are skilled at but in reality we havn't got a clue about it. I mean, a womans complete silence could mean - "When are you going to mention my new hair do?" or loud clatter with the dishes could mean "Where's my aniversary gift?". Since we can't read their thoughts nor interpret clattering, rustle or slamming doors they are way ahead of us in the skill of communicaing.

Hats off to women!!

wink.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 27 2007, 04:30 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Keith Whalley @ Mar 27 2007, 03:05 PM) *
Hi Kris,
I would like to take up a little of your time by asking you to consider which direction you think I ought to be going in, in relation to the lessons on your site. I have already given a brief outline of my guitar experience in my introduction.
I am currently writing my second album, which I once again am resorting to puting together myself using my computer, limited recording equipment etc, but I have enough to work with.(So can't complain)
I have discovered as a result of reading the various scales pages and using your brilliant creation of scale viewer programme thing, that the majority of my writing and improvisation ability stems from the use of pentatonic minor scales, ionian and a bit of the major scale (Plus I once looked at a Hindu scale that I've used a few times in compositions). I have learned by ear and had very few lessons - I can read muic but very, very slowly and found that to be very restricting and soon lose interest.
I would appreciate if you would visit my site and listen to a few songs in particular from my last album to see where I'm coming from www.soundclick.com/theuselesseaters - The songs in particular I think show my interest are "What We Is Free For","Premonitions","4 Inch Spikes In Your Spine", "Qana II"and "Break Out Of The Paper Bag". I've posted the first one of my new work "I've Come For Your Children" which I believe shows my varying styles and approaches.
I know this is asking quite a bit of your time but would really value your response.
Thanks and congrats on a great site.

Keith Whalley - The Useless Eaters

I moved this post to here to keep it a little tidy - I hope to be able to answer asap! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:18 PM