Rhoads - Mtp Assignment Thread, March 2010
Emir Hot
Mar 11 2010, 05:27 PM
Instructor
Hi

Please post your assignments here.

Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
rhoads
Mar 14 2010, 10:53 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi Emir,

I am posting my first assignment. Please take a look and tell me what do you think.
I don't know, something is not quite right there.. but I can work some more on it.

Thanks,

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 15 2010, 12:00 AM
Instructor
Awesome. Mark = 10 for this

Now I find strange that you said you had trouble in the studio with rhythm. This was perfect. I'll give you the next one soon with triplets and more syncopations just to make sure that you're comfortable with that and then we can start with some other stuff.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
rhoads
Mar 15 2010, 01:38 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks !

Yes.. the assignment was easy because of the slow tempo but.. I'd like to tell you a short story of why I (still) think that I have problems with rhythm.

The studio was in September 2009 and also the tempos were about 170-180 at what we tried to record. (a lot of 16-th muted notes and everything, pretty much Thrash). Of course they sounded bad and I after a while I figured out that the problem was that I COULD NOT TAP my foot along with the song. With pretty much any song. Every thing I played (live or when trying to record was mechanical). If the drums were a little changed I got lost.

Then, I started practicing tapping along with anything I do on guitar and I was VERY disappointed because I saw that I could not do it not even with simple rhythm patterns like the second one in the lesson, let alone 16-th notes.. Back then this lesson would have been very hard for me.

Since then, 70% of my practice time was about taping along or moving along or headbanging along with simple to complex rhythm patterns in order to really be able to feel the rhythm. (This is why I said that I had no feel). Also I practiced a lot of singing along with guitar. I improved my skills during this period but is very discouraging (and ridiculous) when you think that you discovered this after almost 4 years of playing guitar (playing music !!)
For example, my first REC post the lesson (https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_forum/index.php?showtopic=33523) took me over 3 weeks to do.

Maybe I'm still frustrated about all this, but I'd like to work on an assignment at a faster tempo (130-150) with palm muting, syncopation, and everything to see how that goes. That is where feel I have problems.

Thanks for reading all of this smile.gif

Regards,
Alex

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 15 2010, 02:54 PM
Instructor
I get your point. I'll speed up this backing because I see that you need something more challenging. Please use the other thread for discussion, keep this tidy for assignments smile.gif

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
rhoads
Mar 30 2010, 09:19 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi !

Sorry for posting it in the other thread. I'm mixed it up again sad.gif

Here's the second assignment. I think it still need some work but could not wait anymore. I don't think I synchronized it exactly because I recorded the audio separately and I could not do it better than this..

Tell me what do you think smile.gif

It is at 110 bpm. I tried at 120 also but could not do the last part clean enough

This post has been edited by rhoads: Mar 30 2010, 09:32 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 31 2010, 11:09 PM
Instructor
Ok back to the other thread

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
rhoads
Apr 2 2010, 02:57 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi

Here is my REC take for March. This is the original lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...d-rock-rhythm3/
I had some trouble with the vibratos (which I hope I did well enough) and also the syncopated part at the end was interesting to work on.

The forum link is in the private area now and I didn't save it but I will add it when it is visible again.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Apr 2 2010, 03:18 PM
Instructor
Ok thanks smile.gif

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
rhoads
Apr 8 2010, 05:52 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi

Here is the 3-rd assignment. Sorry for the (very) bad quality but I'm still having problems with my camera and this is was recorded with a cheap web cam.

The exercise is at 80 bpm. It is as fast as I could go so it still sounds fairly smooth every time I do it.
I tried it at 90-100 also but it is not that good (I get it right 1 out of 10 maybe) so I considered that it is fair to post this one at 80 bpm.

One of the problems I have is that I cannot relax my hand while I'm doing this runs and my hand hurts in the end. Especially when I am after the 12 fret. Also above 100 bpm I kinda get lost when descending because. (because the "down/up" is not on the same string as it is when ascending. It's "up/down")

Everything was alternate picking there. I focused on that.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:59 AM