2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Macbook To Produce Lessons.., Anyone uses one? I need a new computer, help!
David Wallimann
Nov 16 2008, 05:00 PM
Instructor
Hi everyone,

my desktop PC is starting to be old and is now starting to make creating lessons for GMC not as enjoyable as it used to be...
Mostly working with editing and rendering video is a pain. It takes forever!

I also need a laptop to be able to work from anywhere, but don't want to invest in it if it won't do the job right... I'm thinking Macbook or Macbook pro. But it is a big step as I've always been a PC guy.

Anyways, for those of you having experience with a Macbook, can you tell me how well it works for you? The quality of the built in ISight seems really good too, but would it be good enough to produce GMC videos? What are your experiences with it? How about editing videos, how fast would rendering the vids be?

Right now I am using a single core desktop PC with 2.8G and 1.75 Ram..
It is getting really slow.. Would a Macbook allow me to do all that faster?

Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PanicProne
Nov 16 2008, 05:20 PM
GMC:er
Hey man. I haven't really done a lot of video-editing and I'm not really into the whole speed and techninc stuff but I'll tell you what I can.

I've always used PC. ALWAYS. But this summer I decided I wanted to start recording songs/ideas so I bought myself a macbook pro. I gotta say I'm really pleased with it. It runs very smoothly and is pretty silent. For example every ten times you're using a PC one or two programs crash (well at least ofr me it does) for some unknown reason. Hasn't happened yet. Also it's ridiculously (how's that word spelt?) easy to use. It's a bit confusing at the start since everything is built upp in a different way and has different names. (EX shortcut is alias and so on) But you get into it pretty fast. User friendly? Yes. Worth the money? Yes. Would I recommend getting one? Absolutely.

Ask me more questions if you want and I'll try to answer as good as I can.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Nov 16 2008, 05:26 PM
Instructor
Thanks for your answer, what are your thoughts on the integrated webcam?
Think I could record lessons with it?

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
PanicProne
Nov 16 2008, 05:30 PM
Like I said. Haven't done video editing. But I'll have a look at it. I'll get back to you as soon as it's done. (But off the top of my head I think it'd be just fine.)

This post has been edited by PanicProne: Nov 16 2008, 05:31 PM

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 16 2008, 05:46 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (David Wallimann @ Nov 16 2008, 05:26 PM) *
Thanks for your answer, what are your thoughts on the integrated webcam?
Think I could record lessons with it?

Hmm you can always plug in the MiniDV or similar camcorders in it..I think it has integrated firewire connection..I don't think web cams can produce video quality needed for lessons work...For example that integrated cam records in 640x480 res (lower than new lesson players res here) and I don't know about the frame rate its capable of capturing...Web cams are not that good with handling details and lighting like regular camcorders..

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Nov 16 2008, 05:46 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Oxac
Nov 16 2008, 09:53 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Nov 16 2008, 05:46 PM) *
Hmm you can always plug in the MiniDV or similar camcorders in it..I think it has integrated firewire connection..I don't think web cams can produce video quality needed for lessons work...For example that integrated cam records in 640x480 res (lower than new lesson players res here) and I don't know about the frame rate its capable of capturing...Web cams are not that good with handling details and lighting like regular camcorders..

Something that's good to add is that the DAW takes a lot of processor power which lowers the framerate of the cam.

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
skennington
Nov 16 2008, 09:55 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
I had the same question recently when I purchased a new computer. PC or MAC. I went with another pc (Dell XPS 420 Media) because I know nothing about the mac's platform. A co-worker bought a mac book pro and loves it. Not a musician but does loads of media editing. I have heard the operating system is more stable with a Mac also.

My system has a built in monitor cam and for me, it serves the purpose. However, for your lessons David, I think a digital cam connected to your computer would offer much better results. For that reason, and I am happy with my computer, I would suggest the Mac. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 16 2008, 10:11 PM
Instructor
Mac is great, but worth a lot more money than PC. If you have the money, definitely buy it. Everything good came first from apple, and then it was copied to PC. The downside of Apple software is that there isn't that much personalized software as for windows platform, but if you are a simple user (i mean simple as not to demanding in third party apps), then Mac is a great choice really. Very smooth machine, user friendly, and cool looking smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Nov 16 2008, 10:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Nov 16 2008, 11:46 AM) *

That's what I thought, but I saw a few Youtube clips and quality seemed great.
Of course lighting needs to be well prepared, but still.
Look at this clip, I think it's pretty descent..

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 16 2008, 11:47 PM
Yeah it looks pretty decent smile.gif But my main concern would be its resolution (since we are stepping up to higher res videos here)...Also lessons here are much more demanding regarding video quality so its hard to judge from that guys video (which lacks detail and good lighting)...You can always use your current recording gear on that mac ? And if you really need mobility you can use its iSight cam for emergency smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Nov 17 2008, 12:15 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Nov 16 2008, 05:47 PM) *
Yeah it looks pretty decent smile.gif But my main concern would be its resolution (since we are stepping up to higher res videos here)...Also lessons here are much more demanding regarding video quality so its hard to judge from that guys video (which lacks detail and good lighting)...You can always use your current recording gear on that mac ? And if you really need mobility you can use its iSight cam for emergency smile.gif

Absolutely!

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
kahall
Nov 17 2008, 03:34 AM
Learning Roadie
David, all I know is anyone who does a lot of video editing uses a MAC. Personally I probably would not be able to even turn it on, which is why I don't have one. I've spent too much time learning what I know about PC's and I am not ready to learn a new way....yet.

Of course now you can dual boot the MAC since they switched to Intel, so it makes even more sense to get one. If you can't do it on the MAC just reboot into windows or the other way around.

If you go anywhere they sell MAC's they will be more than thrilled to help you with your questions. Even Best Buy has MAC people there to answer questions and demo them, but if you have an Apple store nearby you will get way more info than you ask for.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Nov 17 2008, 02:27 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (kahall @ Nov 16 2008, 09:34 PM) *
David, all I know is anyone who does a lot of video editing uses a MAC. Personally I probably would not be able to even turn it on, which is why I don't have one. I've spent too much time learning what I know about PC's and I am not ready to learn a new way....yet.

Of course now you can dual boot the MAC since they switched to Intel, so it makes even more sense to get one. If you can't do it on the MAC just reboot into windows or the other way around.

If you go anywhere they sell MAC's they will be more than thrilled to help you with your questions. Even Best Buy has MAC people there to answer questions and demo them, but if you have an Apple store nearby you will get way more info than you ask for.

Thanks for all the advice.. I'm pretty pumped about getting a Mac now.. Still need to save up though! :-)

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 17 2008, 02:46 PM
Moderation Policy Director
The iSight specs vary a lot - the latest ones have 1280x1024 native resolution but it is downsampled somehow. They also do 30fps which is an absolute must ...

I would be wary though, as good as the iSight may be it will never be as good as a dedicated video camera. This will make it harder (though not necessarily impossible) to capture decent video.

To be honest, to do a decent job as you have said, you will need good lighting. If you are carrying lighting around with you, packing a mini DV camera in the bag is no big deal. If you aren't carry lighting around with you, you may struggle to get good results even with a MiniDV camera, and the iSight would likely do worse.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Nov 17 2008, 03:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Nov 17 2008, 08:46 AM) *
The iSight specs vary a lot - the latest ones have 1280x1024 native resolution but it is downsampled somehow. They also do 30fps which is an absolute must ...

I would be wary though, as good as the iSight may be it will never be as good as a dedicated video camera. This will make it harder (though not necessarily impossible) to capture decent video.

To be honest, to do a decent job as you have said, you will need good lighting. If you are carrying lighting around with you, packing a mini DV camera in the bag is no big deal. If you aren't carry lighting around with you, you may struggle to get good results even with a MiniDV camera, and the iSight would likely do worse.

Yeah, you're right. I think I'd use that feature mostly when on the go to answer specific questions asked by GMCers with direct video response..
Plus the main reason to getting a Mac would be to be able to edit my vids at Starbucks.
I'm tired of spending my days in the studio in my garage. No windows here, and I'm starting to feel it!!!

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Nov 17 2008, 06:55 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (David Wallimann @ Nov 17 2008, 09:06 AM) *
Yeah, you're right. I think I'd use that feature mostly when on the go to answer specific questions asked by GMCers with direct video response..

Yes, it would be awesome for that, definitely.

Plus the main reason to getting a Mac would be to be able to edit my vids at Starbucks.
I'm tired of spending my days in the studio in my garage. No windows here, and I'm starting to feel it!!!

Now there's a thought - I'm stuck in my basement too, no light smile.gif I like your thinking!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 17 2008, 07:50 PM
Instructor
Hey that's a great idea! smile.gif

Of course, I would then spend a lot of time in Starbuck smile.gif

Just kidding, of course, it would be nice for a change to go out and do some editing on the fresh air wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Nov 17 2008, 08:11 PM
Instructor
Hehe..
I can imagine my next lessons live from Starbucks... :-)

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Jeff
Nov 17 2008, 08:25 PM
If I can add something to help you with your decision, David, is that with a PC you have the Vista vs. XP problems. Each has pros and cons. My laptop came with Vista and XP was not an option. I hated my experience with Vista and the crashes, etc. I had to completely remove it and install XP which worked better for me. With Mac you don't have that problem. When my laptop dies, I'm going Mac without hesitation. Getting used to the new names and functions of the various keys and such with Mac is nothing compared to the problems that I have experienced with PC.

Plus, we need a lesson on Starbuck Arpeggios. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Jeff: Nov 17 2008, 08:25 PM

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 17 2008, 11:42 PM
QUOTE (David Wallimann @ Nov 17 2008, 03:06 PM) *

That's a great idea !!! It would be really good to be able to work in different (and more healthy) environments smile.gif Now I want a Mac too smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:29 AM