Sweep Picking, tada!
shideru_guitar
Sep 2 2008, 09:25 PM
GMC:er
basically i wanted to get really in depth with sweep picking.. it is something i been wanting to do for a while now..
but i dont know how to start properly.. as well as making up a schedule for practicing in the 1st place. so it is more or less help needed to do both..
where can i start for sweep picking, as well as help for making up a time schedule?
the most i can practice is an hour..
also a general question
how do u practice sweeping on the metronome?
later tongue.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
There is someone who cares for us and He is not willing that any should die but all come to know Him; and He is the Almighty God :D

LOTS OF HARD WORK AND PRACTICE AS WELL AS GOD'S HELP MADE ME ACHIEVE WHAT I AM :D

:p
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
skennington
Sep 2 2008, 09:29 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Here's a great lesson to start with man. If you only have an hour or so a day to practice, I would give this technique the full hour at least 3 days a week. I've been working on it myself and imo, it's one of the harder techniques to master. smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=17786

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Sep 3 2008, 12:28 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
thanks for the plug Skenny smile.gif

Yep, I hope that my lesson is a reasonable starting block to start sweep picking, use the backing for your timing, I agree with Skennington, its a difficult technique to get right.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...picking-lesson/ this is also a great sweep picking lesson by Muris, covering 2,3 and 5 string sweeps, I find it a really great exercise for sweeping.

It requires a lot of patience and as Skenny suggests 2 or 3 hours solid practice on it a week at least.

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Sep 3 2008, 02:09 AM
Learn the three string sweeps first, I find them easiest. Learn the major, minor, and diminished fingerings.

Start with:

Am Bbim CMajor; this way you learn all three fingerings. Use a metronome and increase speed gradually... Go from there!

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Sep 3 2008, 03:14 AM
Instructor
I think a good way to learn to sweep is first learn to alternate the same positions of arpeggios. In that way you'll have the positions learned when you turn to sweeping and you'll have already learned the alternate that (in my opinion) is more difficult.
You can start with traditional positions like A (12th fret 5th string) C (10th fret 4th string) E (9th fret 3rd string) A (10th fret 2nd string) C (8th fret 1st string) E (12th fret 1st string).
I hope it was useful.
biggrin.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Sep 3 2008, 08:56 AM
Instructor
I think it will be a good idea to practice both hands separately. First try to play the arpeggio with left hand using your right hand over to mute strings. Work only with left hand.
Then mute strings with your left hand and play only with right hand. Use a clean sound and just pick the strings using the "economic" movement. It's not too cool but I can say it works really good !!!

Finally try to syncronize both hands and remember that RIGHT hand is who rules wink.gif

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
Sep 3 2008, 09:46 AM
Instructor
If you want check out my lesson about Economy Picking. This lesson will show you some basic motions to let you become more efficient in this technique. More lessons are coming. Bye

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
shideru_guitar
Sep 3 2008, 02:18 PM
QUOTE (Danilo Capezzuto @ Sep 3 2008, 09:46 AM) *
If you want check out my lesson about Economy Picking. This lesson will show you some basic motions to let you become more efficient in this technique. More lessons are coming. Bye

thanks for everything guys! tongue.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif i will take the advice!

--------------------
There is someone who cares for us and He is not willing that any should die but all come to know Him; and He is the Almighty God :D

LOTS OF HARD WORK AND PRACTICE AS WELL AS GOD'S HELP MADE ME ACHIEVE WHAT I AM :D

+Quote Post
kjutte
Sep 3 2008, 02:20 PM
QUOTE (shideru_guitar @ Sep 2 2008, 10:25 PM) *
basically i wanted to get really in depth with sweep picking.. it is something i been wanting to do for a while now..
but i dont know how to start properly.. as well as making up a schedule for practicing in the 1st place. so it is more or less help needed to do both..
where can i start for sweep picking, as well as help for making up a time schedule?
the most i can practice is an hour..
also a general question
how do u practice sweeping on the metronome?
later tongue.gif

Pavel's lesson on sweep picking is actually the best one here, he explains everything very well.
I recommend you go for that one.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 3 2008, 06:28 PM
Instructor
First of all you choose whatever sweeping lesson you like, there are many of them on GMC, just type in "sweep" in the search to the right.
Then you follow the videos in the lesson and check out how thing is played. You can DL the guitar pro file and check that too.
Guitar pro has a trainer function that allows you to start with slow tempo and repeat the sequence, and it will automatically increase the tempo by a bit. This is a good way to go.
If you can't practice with GP, you take a metronome and apply similar method - practice on slow tempo (half notes @60bpm), and increase slowly bpm, and repeat the stuff until you hit the tempo where you can play it anymore and sound nice and clean as when you started. Then chill out a bit, and start over, or the next day. The more you stay clean, the faster you go.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Dexxter
Sep 3 2008, 06:48 PM
Learning Tone Guru
QUOTE (kjutte @ Sep 3 2008, 03:20 PM) *
Pavel's lesson on sweep picking is actually the best one here, he explains everything very well.
I recommend you go for that one.

Pavel's Sweeping Basics Lesson

I agree, he explains everything you need to know about the technique. Then there are many lessons with many different shapes that you should practice after you get the technique down smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
shideru_guitar
Sep 25 2008, 03:22 PM
just to let everyone know..

i have been doing the sweeping by myself (obviously!)

but i used muris' sweeppicking lesson the one with the a minor and major..

and it has improved LOADS

i can sweep reasonably fast now!

now i need to know how to control that power.. lol cool.gif tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 25 2008, 03:46 PM
Instructor
I have just realized I have one sweeping lesson - my first lesson on GMC

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...peggios-lesson/

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:58 AM