2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Cannot Practice, Cut hand with rusty nail
Mith
Jul 10 2014, 05:25 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
very interesting way to look at it. So does this mean when I go out drinking and partying it can be called Practice? lol

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 11 2014, 07:46 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mith @ Jul 10 2014, 04:25 PM) *
very interesting way to look at it. So does this mean when I go out drinking and partying it can be called Practice? lol

Hehehe! Not like that smile.gif But, who knows? It worked for the Rolling Stones and for A LOT of the emerging 60s to 80s artists... Kidding aside, I think it's a matter of learning how to milk opportunities.

If you are happy because you are in love - write a song smile.gif If you are sad, write a song. If you are angry, write a song. The idea is that if you don't go out there to find opportunities which will stimulate feelings, practicing will only transform you into a robot. You can't write music if you don't have stuff to write about. That's how I see it and what I understood out of Victor's words wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mith
Jul 11 2014, 08:49 AM
Yeah I write alot about how I feel. Thats what gives a song a real feel for people to actually connect too and end of the day thats what its really about. I got song thats like 1/2 finished because it is so utterly depressing. but I love the song because I feel it really communicates someones internal feelings and thoughts and its something we have all been through. and even tho I doubt the song will have a "happy ending" I think the touching part is if someone that currently feels that way will realise they arn't completly alone with that emotion

Most my other songs are abot weird girlfriends, and other adult material.

I wrote one about a serial killer in love. Kinda has blackout episodes and kills their partner. Yeah sounds weird but the whole love song mixed in with gore was a intresting mix

I like the concept of trying to make happy concepts sound sad or sad concepts sound happy. Mess around with perseption and all that

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 13 2014, 11:14 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mith @ Jul 11 2014, 07:49 AM) *
Yeah I write alot about how I feel. Thats what gives a song a real feel for people to actually connect too and end of the day thats what its really about. I got song thats like 1/2 finished because it is so utterly depressing. but I love the song because I feel it really communicates someones internal feelings and thoughts and its something we have all been through. and even tho I doubt the song will have a "happy ending" I think the touching part is if someone that currently feels that way will realise they arn't completly alone with that emotion

Most my other songs are abot weird girlfriends, and other adult material.

I wrote one about a serial killer in love. Kinda has blackout episodes and kills their partner. Yeah sounds weird but the whole love song mixed in with gore was a intresting mix

I like the concept of trying to make happy concepts sound sad or sad concepts sound happy. Mess around with perseption and all that

Whoa dude! That sounds amazingly intricate smile.gif I mean, such a complex subject to treat! Have you recorded something yet? I'm curious to hear how this all sounds!

+Quote Post
Mith
Jul 13 2014, 11:31 AM
https://soundcloud.com/thirteen-graves/my-love-demo

Thats the demo of it right there.

Pretty rough but you get the gist

The stuff that I want to work on now is going to have alot more of a organic feel too it. Tho I might look at doing another song in that contect.

I do love the line "The blood on my hands shows that I really care for you"

I also kinda like how I managed to get my vocals to kinda screaming like to more dark and sinister.

Poor vocal chords

https://soundcloud.com/thirteen-graves/jaded-demo

This is one song I keep coming back to make evolve. Its one of the first things I had ever wrote (probably like 4 yrs ago now). And has evolved a few times already.

That was about me being in love with a girl with a BF and we had a intimate relationship and it did my head in.

Which also has another one of my Fav lines "This love is stolen but its you i'm holding"

And as you my have guess the girls name was Jade lol

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 14 2014, 07:50 AM
Instructor
Whoa man! There's some heavy stuff going on in your music biggrin.gif Well, this is the stuff that honest music is made of smile.gif Scary for some folks, but hell man, if aren't living it, it's difficult to write about it, correct?

Tell me - I am curious about the vocals in the first tune - do you scream with volume or are the screams executed with low volume? I am learning this technique and I am curious to find out everything I can. You sound very well rounded and compressed in this technique. Any secrets you might share? smile.gif Thank you in advance!

+Quote Post
Mith
Jul 14 2014, 08:48 AM
Pretty low volume. Lots of warming up and keeping your thoat well lubricated. I like drinking milk between takes. Great for lubricated my throat (tho bad idea if u have a sore throat from an infection.

There is a DVD called the art or screaming thats really good for all this. Proper vocal coaches that focus just on the heavier, distorted vocals.

For me I just spent a while getting use to where my vocals feel reasonably comfortable and then when I write I adjust the music keys.

But yeah that music isn't for everyone. Pretty select crowd really. But the idea was to try something a little diffrent.

Currently I'm trying to move more towards a singer/songwriter kinda of thing but with a very dark background. Its been a big change in style for me and alot of new skills to learn (hence y I'm on this site lol). Bit more real singing and even more in depth lyrics.

Also been studing a berklee coloage DVD on lyric writting that has been really great. Got snippets of music done here and there for it but hopefully closer to the end of the yr I'll start bringing them all together

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 15 2014, 07:15 AM
Instructor
Thanks for sharing the details man!

For me it was the other way around smile.gif I had to become the vocalist in my band, because we couldn't find anyone else that fitted the bill, so slowly I began learning and the first gig I had to sustain as a vocalist was in front of a 4000 people crowd, opening for Arch Enemy back in 2012. Well, with time I managed to get a good hold on things, but I sing daily and these days, my main focal point is music writing and playing and singing in the same time.

I want to develop my more aggressive side as a singer, as I can be melodic already, but I want to become as versatile as possible and use my voice to its full extent - I realized that the screaming thing is not done at high volume as I thought some time ago and that's why I asked because in your first recording, you sound very well compressed and round in your screams, so I thought - Hehe! This guy must surely know his stuff!

I had a nice epiphany onstage last month, when I took the mic at the soundcheck and I growled out of nowhere - indeed, the throat was well lubricated and the volume was low and controlled. Everyone looked like they have seen some dinosaur or something, but they smiled and cheered biggrin.gif I guess it's only going to take a little while wink.gif

With the guitar, well, songwriting is an art in itself and it's mainly a combo of putting your imagination to work and polishing the result with the aid of applied theory, when orchestrating - I'd be happy to help out if you wish smile.gif

QUOTE (Mith @ Jul 14 2014, 07:48 AM) *
Pretty low volume. Lots of warming up and keeping your thoat well lubricated. I like drinking milk between takes. Great for lubricated my throat (tho bad idea if u have a sore throat from an infection.

There is a DVD called the art or screaming thats really good for all this. Proper vocal coaches that focus just on the heavier, distorted vocals.

For me I just spent a while getting use to where my vocals feel reasonably comfortable and then when I write I adjust the music keys.

But yeah that music isn't for everyone. Pretty select crowd really. But the idea was to try something a little diffrent.

Currently I'm trying to move more towards a singer/songwriter kinda of thing but with a very dark background. Its been a big change in style for me and alot of new skills to learn (hence y I'm on this site lol). Bit more real singing and even more in depth lyrics.

Also been studing a berklee coloage DVD on lyric writting that has been really great. Got snippets of music done here and there for it but hopefully closer to the end of the yr I'll start bringing them all together

+Quote Post
Mith
Jul 15 2014, 07:42 AM
see i'm doing it the other way around. I can do all the growls and screams but now working on being more melodic now. So what I have been doing is slowly taking away the force behind it all. Aim for a nice low baratone kinda slightly croaky (well weathered) feel to it all. The kinda of tone that sounds like it speaks from expiance.

And Angela from Arch Enemy has a bit of a vocal tuition vid too. man that girl has some vocal chords on her, as well as many other great assest lol.

One other trick that is used by people like Rob Zombie and pretty much every heavy industrial band is to use a pitchshifter and pitch the main vocals up a step and down a step then sometimes if you want down a whole octave as well. Makes the vocals hold a bigger place in a mix.

Also try using a mic that has really low feedback and a tight polar patteren so it rejects more outside noise since you will end up singing quieter so feedback is more common.

The one thing I do like about singing is the fact i write the guitar parts and the vocals so even in bands i always had alot of control of the direction of a song

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 16 2014, 08:02 AM
Instructor
Thanks for the tips man! Frankly, I don't think I have found a mic suited for me .. yet smile.gif But frankly, I haven't spent that much time on the subject, so we'll see what's what when I get some time to do it. But until then, my recommendations for you, in respect to singing, would be to read a little bit about the EVTS method - I studied that one and it basically deals with understanding your inner body and using your organs to control your voice.

It is based on a set of vocal qualities, as they are called and the first and most important one is called 'Speech level singing' - basically, you should be able to sing as loud as you speak smile.gif A lot of folks sing a lot quieter than they speak - have you noticed that? And it's not something controlled smile.gif

Here's info on the EVTS technique, which I think you will find quite interesting:

http://www.estillvoice.com/

Lets talk on the matter smile.gif I'd be happy to help out, mate!

QUOTE (Mith @ Jul 15 2014, 06:42 AM) *
see i'm doing it the other way around. I can do all the growls and screams but now working on being more melodic now. So what I have been doing is slowly taking away the force behind it all. Aim for a nice low baratone kinda slightly croaky (well weathered) feel to it all. The kinda of tone that sounds like it speaks from expiance.

And Angela from Arch Enemy has a bit of a vocal tuition vid too. man that girl has some vocal chords on her, as well as many other great assest lol.

One other trick that is used by people like Rob Zombie and pretty much every heavy industrial band is to use a pitchshifter and pitch the main vocals up a step and down a step then sometimes if you want down a whole octave as well. Makes the vocals hold a bigger place in a mix.

Also try using a mic that has really low feedback and a tight polar patteren so it rejects more outside noise since you will end up singing quieter so feedback is more common.

The one thing I do like about singing is the fact i write the guitar parts and the vocals so even in bands i always had alot of control of the direction of a song

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:24 PM