Pickng Hand Style
buttmonk
Mar 30 2008, 12:45 PM
GMC:er
Hi David,

I am posting this in ur forum since I noticed that u have a very pronounced "fist" style with ur picking hand. I have been learning palm muting stuff recently and I am startting to notice some strain and tension in my picking hand ( I think it has always been there to some extent but it comes out more with palm muting). So far I have used an open handed style which feels like it gives me more control of the pick since thumb and 1st finger can move freely, thou I still do most of the picking moveent from the rist. However, I think this is not very natural for my hand and I feel some tension having the other fingers out straight, tho mainly it seems to be the 2nd finger which wants to curl round a bit ad certainly feels wrong if I try to straighten it out. This 2nd finger also causes problems when palm muting as the tip can strike the higher strings unintentionally.

I have now been experimenting with a more fist ike style, but while it feels a bit more natural, I have some difficulty palm muting consistently on the higher strings and the curled fingers tend to get in the way.

Not sure if there is much u can do to help but any advice would be appreciated:) Should it be possible to palm mute pretty much without restriction with this style? In general I am trying to concentrate on relaxing as much as possiblee, making minimal movements, and using as little power as possible, bit with this sort of music that is not always possible or desired...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Apr 24 2008, 01:04 AM
Instructor
So sorry for the late response..
I wish I could see a pic or video of your playing.
Is that possible?
The way I was toughts was to hold a small object in your right hand, close all 4 fingers on object and place the pick between the thumb and index finger.
Let me know if that helps!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:29 AM